Any Volunteer Pilots Out There?

SouthWings

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
SouthWings
Hey everyone! I'm brand new to POA but I've been a pilot since 2005. I work for an outfit called SouthWings with offices in Asheville, NC and New Orleans, LA. SouthWings provides conservation-based flights throughout our 11-state region of the southeastern US (VA, WV, KY, TN, NC, SC, GA, FL, AL, MS, LA). We're a member of the Air Care Alliance, along with other public-benefit flight organizations like Angel Flight and LightHawk and have been in existence since 1997. Our work is accomplished through our group of 42 (currently) volunteer pilots and we're looking to add to our roster. We're in great need of Gulf-area pilots (LA, MS, AL, FL) as our work load has increased dramatically in that region but we are also looking to add more pilots within every state of our operating area. We'd love to talk with anyone that might be interested in learning more about what we do. We require that our pilots either own or have access to an aircraft and have at least 750 hours PIC to start. Check out www.southwings.org or private message me to learn more. Thanks so much!

There are tons of Public Benefit pilots on this board. Lots fly for the various Angel Flight Type organizations. I myself fly for and am president of Angel Flight East, many fly for Life Line Pilots Angel Flight West and South Central and many for the pet transport groups such as Cloud Nine and PnP. Hope fully you will get some takers. 750 is a bunch of hours so you might get limited response but every pilot helps the cause.

Thanks Adam :) We appreciate the work you all do. Several of our pilots also fly with Angel Flight.

Sounds like an interesting organization with an interesting mission. I met the folks from lighthawk at the ACA conference this year. Hopefully you can make it to next years conference. Do you allow experimentals? I know many PBFOs won't.

And Welcome to POA!

Adam, we don't currently don't allow experimental aircraft for passenger-carrying flights but we're working on a concept that will allow for the use of these aircraft in other areas. Would have loved to come to New Mexico this year for the gathering but didn't budget for it since it was so far from us. Perhaps next year!

We'll be here! We'll look forward to it. I worked for Comair back in 2007 and had a crash-pad in Florence, KY. Always did enjoy Cincinnati. Go Reds!

How does the math work for tax deducting expenses incurred flying your own plane for a charitable mission?

Adam, we don't currently don't allow experimental aircraft for passenger-carrying flights but we're working on a concept that will allow for the use of these aircraft in other areas. Would have loved to come to New Mexico this year for the gathering but didn't budget for it since it was so far from us. Perhaps next year!

Aerial photography?

Back