Any tips/advice on flying into San Juan Island, WA?

Jim Logajan

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
I'm thinking of taking a flight there with the wife one weekend sometime in the next month (fly up Saturday morning, back down Sunday afternoon,) schedule and weather permitting. Sounds like a nice place to go, and looks like you can't get there by driving a car (excluding ferrys.) Perfect excuse to fly.

As you can see, it could be a straight shot in a rented C-172 from my home field of 77S with only about 2.5 hours flight time. Definitely some interesting airspace up that way, and gets close to the border. If anyone has been there and has either tips on flying in that area, or suggested places to stay and hike, visit, or stroll around, I'd be interested in reading them. Thanks!

attachment.php

I'm thinking of taking a flight there with the wife one weekend sometime in the next month (fly up Saturday morning, back down Sunday afternoon,) schedule and weather permitting. Sounds like a nice place to go, and looks like you can't get there by driving a car (excluding ferrys.) Perfect excuse to fly.

As you can see, it could be a straight shot in a rented C-172 from my home field of 77S with only about 2.5 hours flight time. Definitely some interesting airspace up that way, and gets close to the border. If anyone has been there and has either tips on flying in that area, or suggested places to stay and hike, visit, or stroll around, I'd be interested in reading them. Thanks!

attachment.php

I flew there once a few years ago. The main thing I remember is that downtown Friday Harbor is less that a mile walk from the northeast ramp.

Last edited:
I flew there once a few years ago. The main thing I remember is that downtown Friday Harbor is less that a mile walk from the northwest ramp.

Ditto what Richard says. Have been there several times and Friday Harbor is our favorite food stop in the area. Nice walk to many good restaurants and an ice cream stand. Park at the north east corner near the gate towards town.
Watch for fog banks in the area as they move around. It's a good idea to carry life vests over so much water. May be FAR required, not sure, I just do.
Have fun!!

Attachments

• _MG_0949.JPG
    _MG_0949.JPG
    2.9 MB · Views: 16
  • _MG_0936.JPG
    _MG_0936.JPG
    2.7 MB · Views: 14
  • _MG_0950.JPG
    _MG_0950.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 13
I go every year and camp on orcas for a home base, nice foot path to the town of eastsound. Cheapest mode of transportation on Orcas is going to be to rent a car from the KenmoreAir/FBO building. Moran state park is worth the visit, nicer camping than at the airport but you'll need reservations. Not much to see on Lopez and not sure much will going on this time of year. There are a few resorts on San Juan island, Rosario which I can't comment on but they do have a narrow runway you can land on and I hear good things from pilots, and I've stayed at Lakedale, it's a nice place to relax a little to ritzy for my tastes.

Thanks!

Life vests - for sure. Plenty of altitude before crossing water - definitely.

Weather and personal schedule may make it hard to accomplish anytime soon, but would like to do it as an adventure for a low-time pilot.

Thanks!

Life vests - for sure. Plenty of altitude before crossing water - definitely.

Weather and personal schedule may make it hard to accomplish anytime soon, but would like to do it as an adventure for a low-time pilot.

If I'm assured of being found fast, I want a life jacket. If not. I'd rather not have one, the water isn't exactly warm. :) You can stay within gliding range of land. If you've never flown into Canada, a good aviation adventure is to figure out how to cross the border and it's fun flying in a similar but different system. The biggest pain isn't going to Canada, it's coming back.

If I'm assured of being found fast, I want a life jacket. If not. I'd rather not have one, the water isn't exactly warm. :) You can stay within gliding range of land. If you've never flown into Canada, a good aviation adventure is to figure out how to cross the border and it's fun flying in a similar but different system. The biggest pain isn't going to Canada, it's coming back.
I've sailed, flown, and driven the islands. I say just go.

With reference to the remark about being found or not, I soundly and deliberately say that a life preserver will not save you nor should you count on being found. You go, it's your responsibility to save yourself. IOW, I detest those who put themselves at a level of risk then rely on others to save them.

You might want a hamburger at the Spruce Goose at Jefferson Co. 0S9. Very good. From there I like to go to Friday Harbor via the CVV VOR. At 3000 ft that will keep you within gliding distance of land. It is about 5 minutes out of the way.

You will go right over Smith Island. It usually has Sea Lions packed on the east side. And you could get a 172 down there with just a little trouble.

attachment.php

Which Airport are you wanting to use ?

somebody plan flight going up the east side of the SEA class B, to AWO, BVS, 74S. ORS and FRH, tell me how long you will be over open water?

Remember who lives here,, :)

Thanks!

Life vests - for sure. .

they won't do you a bit of good in the deep water, the aircraft entering the water will sink engine first and the water will hold the doors on your 172 closed until compression kills you.

Then the crabs clean up the mess.

they won't do you a bit of good in the deep water, the aircraft entering the water will sink engine first and the water will hold the doors on your 172 closed until compression kills you.

Then the crabs clean up the mess.

Can you jettison the doors on a 172? I know on the Remos that's on the checklist for ditching.

Can you jettison the doors on a 172? I know on the Remos that's on the checklist for ditching.

The 172 checklists I have seen show "Doors - Unlatch" for Forced Landing and Ditching checklists. Do you think it would be impossible to push open the doors underwater if they were already open/unlocked? Anyone have any experience with that?

Pilots get out of ditched Cessnas all the time. I had a kid student who flew my 152 into the water after 4.3 hours of flight. He said "all of a sudden, the engine got real rough!" "and I had to put her in."

He unfortunately lived.

The hard part is not getting out of the door, but finding your seatbelt, unlatching the door, and figuring which way is up...........all while upside down and sinking in cold DARK water.

Thus egress training!

Last edited:
"all of a sudden, the engine got real rough!" "and I had to put her in."

Carb Ice? My DPE told me a similar story of someone who ditched their airplane when their engine was running roughly and panicked when they pulled carb heat and it got worse. The accident report showed it was indeed carb icing.

"He unfortunately lived"

haha

Pilots get out of ditched Cessnas all the time. I had a kid student who flew my 152 into the water after 4.3 hours of flight. He said "all of a sudden, the engine got real rough!" "and I had to put her in."

He unfortunately lived.

The hard part is not getting out of the door, but finding your seatbelt, unlatching the door, and figuring which way is up...........all while upside down and sinking in cold DARK water.

Thus egress training!

4.3 hours and he's probably out of fuel

4.3 hours and he's probably out of fuel

Good point. If the 152 had standard tanks with 24.5 g usable, that would be close to maximum endurance per the POH. Have to give him credit for good leaning, eh?

He unfortunately lived.

Thus egress training!

Yep they do get out of them, before they sink, once under the water it is a rare occasion.

The point of going up the east side of SEA and NUW is you are never out of gliding distance of land at 1000'

seeing the San Juans is a easy do, either from ORS or FRH, but plan on 8 buck gas at either.

Thus egress training!

Thanks for the egress pointer; found this related video:

Back