Any suggestions for a trip to Mount Rushmore/Black Hills?

bubba

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
iDunno
I am thinking about taking my family for a weekend to the Rapid City area to see the sights.
Any suggestions for activities/destinations while we are there?
Also any suggestions for airports/FBOs would be great.
(What a great airport name (KRAP) :rofl: )

Thanks,
Eric
________
Vaporizer wiki

Last edited:
http://www.travelsd.com/

some of these suggestions are seasonal and may not be open
some depend on your kids ages

Rapid City
  • Airplane museum at Ellsworth AFB
  • Mt Rushmore, of course - an evening lighting ceremony if schedules allow
  • Natural History Museum at School of Mines
  • Reptile Gardens
  • Bear Country

Custer
  • Crazy Horse Monument
  • Needles Highway
  • Custer State Park and Wildlife Loop Rd
  • Game Lodge
  • Jewel Cave
  • Scott's Rock Shop - tell Allen that Greg sent you
  • Fishing - ask Allen for the hot spots
  • Flintstones Village

Hill City
  • 1880 Train - Hill City to Keystone

Hot Springs
  • Mammoth Digs
  • Evans Plunge
  • Wind Cave and Wind Cave National Park

Spearfish
  • Spearfish Canyon
  • Passion Play

Wall
  • Badlands National Park
  • Wall Drug
Deadwood - no recommendations since it's been changed a lot by gambling since I lived in the Hills

Last edited:
don't forget Wall Drug, the Wall airport is at the end of main street.

We landed at Custer when I went there last summer. The car rental was a bit of a beater, but worked (for the most part, if you don't mind the speedometer suddenly dropping to zero on the highway. Must have had a bug in the pitot tube :rofl: ).

You definitely want to do the Custer State Park loop road. Of course, you may have to wend your way through a herd of bison on the road :hairraise: I was somewhat disappointed with Crazy Horse Monument, but then we got there only a few minutes before close. Worth a fly-by, though!

Make sure you land at Rapid City, not Ellsworth...but us GA guys/gals wouldn't do that :) Rapid City is a very nice GA friendly airport. Overfly Mt Rushmore - very cool!!! The stone heads are a trip from the air. Huron FSS (HON) has the VFR/IFR airspace guidelines for that overflight. HON is also a great place for lunch/fuel stop. If you golf, there is a course in walking distance from the airport.

Laura

Thanks Laura and Grant,
I printed out everyone's replys and will take them with when we go. (No date set yet.) Thanks again,
Eric
________
Ativan Rehab Dicussion

Last edited:
About three weeks ago I stopped in at RAP for fuel enroute from Vancouver, WA, to Kansas City. The folks at Westjet were friendly and helpful and had me on my way in short order. Inbound to RAP I of course detoured a few miles south to see Mount Rushmore; very impressive, even from altitude (see photo).

-- Pilawt

LauraH said:
Make sure you land at Rapid City, not Ellsworth...but us GA guys/gals wouldn't do that :) Rapid City is a very nice GA friendly airport. Overfly Mt Rushmore - very cool!!! The stone heads are a trip from the air. Huron FSS (HON) has the VFR/IFR airspace guidelines for that overflight. HON is also a great place for lunch/fuel stop. If you golf, there is a course in walking distance from the airport.

Laura
2500 foot overfly rstriction at Rushmore. The faces are pretty small from that distance....

bbchien said:
2500 foot overfly rstriction at Rushmore. The faces are pretty small from that distance....
Yeah, you wouldn't want a massive 150 to put a pimple on Teddy Roosevelt. :rolleyes:

Back