Any stats on Engine out Failues at takeoff

supernovae

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
supernovae
Any statistics as to the alleged reasons for most common engine out failures at takeoff?

I see lots of discussions about what to do or not do in the event of engine out failure, but anyone have the most common reasons for such?

Who would collect the data? What reports are required?

Bob Gardner

Who would collect the data? What reports are required?

Bob Gardner

Dunno.. just curious. Do we even have any accident data to show if its more common or less common that other accident types? is it usually someone forgetting to add oil? out of gas? forgot fuel pump? flying an airplane that sat for 7 years?

It's one of the few times during the flight it's making rated power (if you're low enough).

Bob may be suggesting that you should look at the incident / accident reporting requirements.

Officially collected data is going to over-represent the incidents that ended badly. For all I know, that may also skew in favor of certain root causes. It will certainly under-represent the number of actual failure / power loss events.

Any statistics as to the alleged reasons for most common engine out failures at takeoff?

I see lots of discussions about what to do or not do in the event of engine out failure, but anyone have the most common reasons for such?

Too much emphasis is placed on it. I think being out of fuel, fuel mismanagement are bigger culprits than an actual mechanical failure. I did have a carburetor failure which was obvious when I pushed the throttle and I never got off the ground, exited the first ramp. I have heard of a few of these carburetor issues which always seem to present before lift off.

It is sort of like watching for sasquach. you hear reports but you never seem to see one.

Now if you have pilots who don't use checklists and do not do the check list your chances of seeing one is a great deal higher. Visually check fuel, turn on fuel pump, check both mags, check fuel pressure, check oil pressure and temps alive....do a proper run up, pay attention and I think your chances of a failure are immeasurably small.

Last edited:
Exhaust obstruction. Induction obstruction. I've experienced both. Loose parts in the muffler. Mud dauber nest getting sucked into the carb. throat. No there was not a problem with integrity of the induction system. Slipped in during carb. heat check on run-up.

Fuel selector in the wrong position.

I am haunted by a takeoff accident I read about that was caused by the pilot's seat not being firmly locked ... it slid back, I believe, and he temporarily (but fatally) lost control at that crucial takeoff moment. Had several passengers. I understand that "seat locked" is a checklist item, though.

Running out of gas is the most common cause of engine failures regardless of phases of flight I'd bet.

I am haunted by a takeoff accident I read about that was caused by the pilot's seat not being firmly locked ... it slid back, I believe, and he temporarily (but fatally) lost control at that crucial takeoff moment. Had several passengers. I understand that "seat locked" is a checklist item, though.

There is also an AD (Airworthiness Directive) designed to fix and replace faulty seat rails on the affected airplanes.

Most likely a Cessna, there is an AD (Airworthiness Directive) on that and several safeties available. Personally I have never had one slide, but I seriously rock them in all directions to make sure the latch pin is engaged properly.

Back