Any RV'ers in the group (not the airplane)

jmp470

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
John
So here is the dilemma as I see it: I'm here to solicit your opinions.

As a family of 5, that loves to travel. I want to show my kids as much of the USA as possible. With this being the ultimate goal, 3 kids all under 5, I'm leaning more towards an RV, in particular this one: http://citation-sprinter.com

If we go the RV route, Instead of a 6 sweater airplane, I'm leaning more towards a Light Sport aircraft as I can go ELSA, avoid a medical (not that I have any medical issues) and fly for fun. Im actually leaning towards a CTLSsi or cavalon gyrocopter for fun!

Today, we are looking at an airpark property on a 3000 foot grass field, so that could change things a little.

I will not post all reasons yet, as I want your opinions first

I full-timed in my 36' Bounder with a living room slideout for 4 years while working on the road as a consultant. For me by myself it was great.

When my daughter came out to start High School it got cramped and I rented a house.

Whenever anyone came to visit while I was on-site it got cramped after a week or two but was manageable.

With a 36' Class A you basically need to tow your runabout vehicle, mine could tow my Dodge Dakota pickup with one of my motorcycles in the bed. The Sprinter is small enough you would not 'need' a towed runabout but set-up and tear-down can be a real burden depending on how 'heavy' you travel - e.g., lawn chairs, barbecue grill, etc..

Storage in any RV is tough, non-Class A vehicles suffer from this even more because they typically lack 'basement' storage although your selection shows at least some. Travelling with young kids will be very taxing from a clothing and toy storage standpoint I think.

All that said, RV's are wonderful if you like to travel and can adjust to the limitations of small/underequipped kitchens, limited storage, and limited space that reduces/eliminates the ability gain any personal privacy.

'Gimp

Last edited:
I have a 2013 Winnebago One 32 Ft Travel Trailer. I keep it up north during the summer to get out to the AZ heat. Family and I stay at the trailer during the weekends and holiday weekends. Where we stay at the temps are mid 80's vs above 100 degrees in the valley. I love meeting other RVers. They are the nicest people.

Last edited:
Look like a nice vehicle, a fair amount of $$$ too.

Kids & RVing go well together, especially to family friendly destinations, good weather helps.

We have a 21' tow behind trailer, 4 of us. They all have the plus and minuses. You can read as much as you want at the trailer life.com forum site.

Met some guys that towed powered parachutes trailers behind their trailers. Seemed a nice way to travel chill and have a flying machine handy.

The idea of driving a ground vehicle beyond 100 miles is hideously repulsive to me ! That's why I became a pilot - to cover the vast boring parts of the planet quickly and efficiently in order to get to the fun interesting places. Besides, for what it costs in fees to park one of those behemoths in most places you could get a three star hotel room.

Those type units are good for traveling, not so sure they'd get comfortable to sleep 2 adults and 3 kids for more than a night or two.
My dad was in the RV business for 20 years, I took one RV trip the entire time he had the business! My wife and I aren't "camping people" we have never cared for the lifestyle. It's different spending the nights in a 20X8 box, with 3 kids and one very small bathroom. :rolleyes: If you haven't done it, I suggest renting one for a long weekend, it's not cheap, but much cheaper to find out if you don't like it now, than after you're on the hook for $100K! :eek:
If you're going to travel by motor home and stay in hotels, it may be easier, but it all depends on what you and the wife like to do.
My favorite RV story was one that of my customers told me, I asked her if they might want a Prevost my dad had in stock, about $500K IIRC. Anyway she wasn't interested and told me her RV story: They bought a new RV, the finest one they could buy, as they did with everything, and set out from Georgia to Colorado. They drove 3-400 miles and stopped for the night, she cooked dinner and cleaned up. Next morning she cooked breakfast, cleaned up, made the bed etc. She told her husband if she wanted to cook and clean she could have stayed home! They sold the motor home, bought a car and continued their trip! ;)
I bet they lost $100K on the deal, but they had a lot of money and didn't really care! :dunno:

Karen and I just bought a travel trailer - our first RV - and have been enjoying it.

Along the Ocoee, towing it home to N GA from IL:

13526073335_e5d262f4b3_z.jpg

We've really been enjoying it - just a few days ago camping at Raccoon Mountain just west of Chattanooga:

14756356232_1df669ee29_z.jpg

And it also (barely) fits into our hangar, where we'll probably keep it over the winter:

13559417325_aecf3cafd8_z.jpg

We agonized over the choice between motor home and travel trailer/tow vehicle combo. We decided on the latter, obviously. The tow vehicle is a 2011 Ford Flex w/EcoBoost, bought specifically for that purpose.

Camping is not for everyone. Karen has done motorcycle camping trips with me, so we don't mind roughing it. Those comparing it to a hotel room are kind of missing the point, I think. I've had very few hotel stays worth remembering, but lots of camping experiences I'll never forget.

We also considered an Airstream, and became active on an Airstream owner's site. Our decision process outlined here:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f34...ens-decision-process-to-date-long-116314.html

There's also a forum devoted to Livin' Lite products, and the highs and lows of our ownership experience can be read about here:

http://livinlite.proboards.com/thread/83/21bhs

Last edited:
Karen and I just bought a travel trailer - our first RV - and have been enjoying it.

Along the Ocoee, towing it home to N GA from IL:

13526073335_e5d262f4b3_z.jpg

We've really been enjoying it - just a few days ago camping at Raccoon Mountain just west of Chattanooga:

14756356232_1df669ee29_z.jpg

And it also (barely) fits into our hangar, where we'll probably keep it over the winter:

13559417325_aecf3cafd8_z.jpg

We agonized over the choice between motor home and travel trailer/tow vehicle combo. We decided on the latter, obviously. The tow vehicle is a 2011 Ford Flex w/EcoBoost, bought specifically for that purpose.

Camping is not for everyone. Karen has done motorcycle camping trips with me, so we don't mind roughing it. Those comparing it to a hotel room are kind of missing the point, I think. I've had very few hotel stays worth remembering, but lots of camping experiences I'll never forget.

We also considered an Airstream, and became active on an Airstream owner's site. Our decision process outlined here:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f34...ens-decision-process-to-date-long-116314.html

There's also a forum devoted to Livin' Lite products, and the highs and lows of our ownership experience can be read about here:

http://livinlite.proboards.com/thread/83/21bhs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GeJuUqDqY00

Back