Any restrictions on chamomile

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
This is probably a dumb question, but I’ll ask it anyway. Are there any restrictions on drinking/ingesting foods/drinks with chamomile in them? I realize it’s not a controlled substance for the general population, but since it’s often marketed as a sleep aid, are there any issues with pilots consuming it, or is there a minimum time between consuming and operating? (I guess that would be a teacup-to-throttle rule)

I can't speak legally for the FAA, but if it was me I'd just follow the IMSAFE rule. If you understand how it affects you just use appropriately so that it doesn't put your flight at risk. As an opposite example, energy drinks are not banned by the FAA, but I'm definitely not going to slam a Red Bull and hop into the pilots seat 20 minutes after. I might have one 2 hours before and then fly after I make sure it doesn't turn me into jittery guy.

I can't speak legally for the FAA, but if it was me I'd just follow the IMSAFE rule. If you understand how it affects you just use appropriately so that it doesn't put your flight at risk. As an opposite example, energy drinks are not banned by the FAA, but I'm definitely not going to slam a Red Bull and hop into the pilots seat 20 minutes after. I might have one 2 hours before and then fly after I make sure it doesn't turn me into jittery guy.
Then don't drink coffee (as I have, dozens of times, stopping at Starbucks on the way to the airport.) It has more caffeine than RB, especially if you get the ten dollar size. It certainly limits the length of my flights.
As for chamomile, it does make some people sleepy, so I'd avoid that before flying.

but I'm definitely not going to slam a Red Bull and hop into the pilots seat 20 minutes
Why?

Also.. can you imagine how Draconian our regulations would be if every single thing you could possibly ingest was monitored and regulated..?!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back