Any recommended good weather schools?

jdangel

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
JeffInBoston
Been up for a couple flights in my quest to get m BFR after not flying for years. I am surprisingly in good shape and probably won't need a ton more flying but here is the rub: I am having a bear of a time getting good enough weather to finish up the review/instruction with our lovely Boston area weather. I have had to cancel the last three flights due to ceilings, ice, etc.

I have a couple of weeks before starting a new job with quite a bit of frequent flier miles so here is a crazy thought: Why not spend a few days someplace with great weather (perhaps warm) and just get my BFR by flying often...

Anyone have any FBO/schools which have reasonable rental rates (172), and decent friendly instruction in a locale with good weather this time of year? Or if any of the CFIs on the board are actually in one of those places feel free to send me a PM as well... This does sound like a crazy idea, but just trying to think outside the box...

Jeff

Can't help you much over here in NY - solid IMC. But seems anything MD and south has been doing fairly well lately. Went down there recently and did some flying on the eastern shore. Could definitely recommend an outstanding (career) instructor at 2W6 if interested, and the rates are better than most places I've seen. I don't know if I can PM due to lack of posts, but definitely let me know the region your looking for.

God bless,
P4C

Been up for a couple flights in my quest to get m BFR after not flying for years. I am surprisingly in good shape and probably won't need a ton more flying but here is the rub: I am having a bear of a time getting good enough weather to finish up the review/instruction with our lovely Boston area weather. I have had to cancel the last three flights due to ceilings, ice, etc.

I have a couple of weeks before starting a new job with quite a bit of frequent flier miles so here is a crazy thought: Why not spend a few days someplace with great weather (perhaps warm) and just get my BFR by flying often...

Anyone have any FBO/schools which have reasonable rental rates (172), and decent friendly instruction in a locale with good weather this time of year? Or if any of the CFIs on the board are actually in one of those places feel free to send me a PM as well... This does sound like a crazy idea, but just trying to think outside the box...

Jeff

G1000 C172 for $115/hr wet, and good old Texas weather. www.marcairaviation.com Fly into DFW. Plenty of instructors and planes, great maintenance, great place.

Sawyer Aviation in Scotsdale, Az (KSDL). Bunch of planes, bunch of instructors, great facilities, gorgeous tower controlled airport under the PHX Bravo shelf. I was in Mesa this time last year, and I really wish I was there right now!

Hey Jeff where's your base? Like you I'm getting back into flying its been the late 70's since I was at the controls. I'm in Sutton and will be flying out of Worcester (ORH) given the length of time I'm going to start from scratch and do it all over again just to be confident and safe.

And yes the weather has been a real bear talkin below zero with the wind chill tonight and tomorrow...but schedule some time for Sunday and the first of the week talking low 50's :yes:!

Regards,
Fred Bedard

Fred,

I've been flying from Hanscom (BED) the last few flights as well as back in 1991 when I stopped.

This might be the year I buy something (shared or otherwise), so I might switch bases to something a little smaller and more affordable to park at... But for now its BED.

For everyone else, thanks very much for the suggestions on better weather... Looks like I am going just for the fun of it to head out to Hendersonville, NC this weekend and get the BFR done (hopefully). Found what looks to be a great CFI there, and a great weather weekend forcasted. I was going to head out to Arizona as Teller suggested, but weather is going to be rough in the southwest this weekend (rain I believe).

Jeff

We generally have good weather in Southern California, but it looks like rain for my wedding on Saturday. If you want to schedule after the 14th based on weather I'm game for a good §61.56 Flight review.

Joe

Joe,

Thanks for the offer. I will most likely have it done by then. I agree with you on the Southern California weather. I did my PPL training all at VNY so I do understand. Still miss it to this day.

Congratulations on the wedding!

-- Jeff

We generally have good weather in Southern California, but it looks like rain for my wedding on Saturday. If you want to schedule after the 14th based on weather I'm game for a good §61.56 Flight review.

Joe

Those are tears of joy in the forecast. And from what I hear there will be lots of them.

Check with Diana and see if Tom could help you out. Weather here in SW Missouri is cold, but clear.

Come on over to WI it is going to be warm next week in the 30's:). Of course I'll be in Hawaii. By the time I get back it will be back to single digits I'm sure.

Dan

Come on over to WI it is going to be warm next week in the 30's:). Of course I'll be in Hawaii. By the time I get back it will be back to single digits I'm sure.

Dan

And so foggy we won't be able to see. It's only Thursday and there's already a statement "Widespread dense fog is possible late in the weekend or early next week."

There are many times in winter where I wish *I* were at a "good-weather school!"

Ugh. That was the worst part about going to Hawaii - Boarding the plane in Honolulu (in T-shirt and shorts, of course) and hearing the flight crew announce "Current Chicago weather, sunny, clear, 26 degrees..." :hairraise:

Back