Any reason not to get a Stratux?

Bonchie

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Bonchie
I use Fltplan, which works with it and Stratus doesn't.

I'm really just wanting the weather and in flight metars/tafs. But, my knowledge of the various ADSB-in portables is limited. Obviously, the Stratus stuff is way more expensive. But if I just want weather, is there any reason I shouldn't just cheap out and get a Stratux?

There is lots of used gear appearing as people equip with ADSB and don't need it any more...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's a cheap way to go, but isn't foolproof. See both: Airspace puck, and also think about typical antenna placement.

I've got some decent RF background and use better antennas than the stock ones and have them placed fairly well for not being outside the fuselage, and have seen and had traffic called that wasn't being displayed.

Mine works kinda. I don't ever trust it 100%.

I love mine, it's semi-installed, GPS puck sticky taped in a back side window, Antenna connected to an unused transponder stub, power from a usb battery brick (over 10 hours run time). I plug it in during my preflight and unplug it when I'm putting the plane away.
It doesn't catch all the traffic, but not any less than the Stratus2.

Just remeber the "radar" stuff is stale weather and can be more misinformation then information if you're using it for close range tactical decisions.

Stratux is a good deal at the pricepoint. It's not perfect by any means, but it more or less works as advertised. Compared to a Stratux or GDL39, the Stratux is a bit more of a hassle to setup because it's not a single integrated box. If it's left in the plane, not really an issue, but if you're taking it in and out of rentals/shared aircraft, you'll likely find it to be a bit cumbersome. Do follow the power suggestions on the Stratux.me site, though, as the RasberryPi with both SDR antennas + GPS is very close to max power, and voltage drop in the USB cable will become an issue.

I think I'm gonna build one. It's like $130 for everything to do a dual band. I just can't justify $900 on a stratus 2 right now to basically do the same thing (except the backup attitude and flight recorder).

Is there any reason to buy the vk-162 gps they say is optional if my iPad already has GPS built in? I think it's $20 extra and I know it's WAAS where the iPad isn't, but it's one more wire to have to deal with.

I think I'm gonna build one. It's like $130 for everything to do a dual band. I just can't justify $900 on a stratus 2 right now to basically do the same thing (except the backup attitude and flight recorder).

Is there any reason to buy the vk-162 gps they say is optional if my iPad already has GPS built in? I think it's $20 extra and I know it's WAAS where the iPad isn't, but it's one more wire to have to deal with.

To me, advantage to the external GPS antenna is that I don't have to worry about where I put the iPad. I can toss it on the floor for awhile and not worry about it having to regain GPS reception when I pick it back up.

I've built a few of these, I prefer to remote the GPS from the Raspberry as some of the sdr's produce enough RF noise to effect the GPS reception. Some guys use shielding between the radios and the gps to try and limit the problems. You can accomplish the same thing with the GPS stick as the Vk-162 using a USB extension cable. The Vk-162 seems a bit cleaner install to me.

I use mine with the built-in iPad gps and it works great. I use it for taf/tfr info mainly.

Just for counterpoint to the above comments...

I never did the additional GPS on mine.

But, I also knew from long experience that my iPad with cellular chipset (so they also have GPS reception capability) haven't had any significant GPS reception and lock problems in my particular aircraft.

Your mileage may vary, but if you already have a cellular/GPS equipped iPad, you can always add the GPS to the Stratux later -- no rush to do it first day.

I built one and use it every time I fly. I got the GPS antenna for it. Works great and gives me "some" useful traffic data but mostly I use it for weather. The traffic data is mostly 747 type aircraft at FL38. That part is not super helpful but sometimes it can be.

I have one because I already had most of the parts laying around from feeding FR24 and Flightaware. It wasn't much help where I live because not many planes out here have ADS-B out. The FAA has been blocking traffic data to those of us that don't fly a compliant airplane so I was only able to receive in the rare instances an ADS-B out equipped aircraft was nearby.

That said, this was about a year ago, I haven't flown airplanes in the past year since I started flying gliders, so the FAA may have come to their senses since, but I doubt it.

That said, this was about a year ago, I haven't flown airplanes in the past year since I started flying gliders, so the FAA may have come to their senses since, but I doubt it.

Has anyone done an open source FLARM (if those are at all popular in your local area)?

Does the Stratux have weather info or the ability to work with ForeFlight?

Weather info and working with foreflight is the whole point.

I built mine with a single sdr receiver on 978, no gps (iPad gps works fine for me), and no ahrs, so effectively just a weather receiver. Plugged it in via usb. Not bad for $50.

Last edited:
I purchased and built the Flightbox by Open Flight Solutions. It's a complete ADS-B In kit that connects to your tablet via wifi. Purchased the external GPS antenna and also went with the external dual antenna option so I can install those on the window (they come with suction cup mount) and leave the box off the glareshield where it can get too hot. Much cheaper than the pre-built ones, easy to build and takes all of about 20 min or so to assemble. Flightbox I think now also has AHRS options too if you want to add that. I stick the dual antennas on the pax side of my 172 windshield. Works great and have had no issues. I did purchase a nice small Anker 13000mAh USB power pack for it and it'll run for a long time on that. Most likely will eventually get my old bird (1974 vintage) ADS-B compliant but holding off for now and use this Flightbox for my longer flights paired with Fltplan on my iPad.

Back