Any reason not to convert from GA plugs to LEMO?

MtnMarcus

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
PropWash
I am upgrading my Lightspeed Zulu 2's to the 3's and in the process having my GA plugs converted to LEMO's. My plane has both GA and LEMO options, and I like the idea of not having to worry about carrying extra batteries. Any reason I shouldn't do this? Audio quality, etc.?

The only downfall is if you plan on running audio cables to record videos. Otherwise LEMO rocks.

IMO just depends on what you fly, if it's always in planes with the Lemo, cool.

For me I bounce around from the work plane to my plane to friends planes to some CFIing, bouncing around I've found GA plugs are GTG, only plane I fly that has Lemo provisions (as well as GA thankfully) is the work plane

If I understand correctly, your plane already has both Lemo and GA connectors, and your question is really only about your headset:

— does a headset with a Lemo connector have any disadvantage?

The answer is it has no disadvantage in your plane, based on my experience in a similarly equipped plane.

However, if you wish to fly sometimes in another plane you might need a second headset with GA connectors. I keep an old David Clark headset for exactly that reason. For example when a shop gives me a ride home in the shop’s plane. I use my Lightspeed pfx otherwise and I really enjoy the ease of not fiddling with batteries.

If I understand correctly, your plane already has both Lemo and GA connectors, and your question is really only about your headset:

— does a headset with a Lemo connector have any disadvantage?

The answer is it has no disadvantage in your plane, based on my experience in a similarly equipped plane.

However, if you wish to fly sometimes in another plane you might need a second headset with GA connectors. I keep an old David Clark headset for exactly that reason. For example when a shop gives me a ride home in the shop’s plane. I use my Lightspeed pfx otherwise and I really enjoy the ease of not fiddling with batteries.

Yep exactly. I thought i'd just get a LEMO to GA adapter for that rare instance i'll need it

What is LEMO? (I have Bose)

It's a brand of connector that the aviation industry has latched onto for headset connections. You can buy headsets with a Lemo connector on them instead of the common dual GA plugs.

I've installed a lot of them on data acquisition equipment at work. They are a pain to install but I can understand why an airplane owner would like them. The Bose headsets go from having a huge and heavy wart on the cable where your batteries and controls reside to a nice little volume control box that weighs very little. The biggest downside is that you'll have a headset that can be used in a limited number of airplanes (those with a panel mounted Lemo connector).

Back