Any Rallye Fans on the Board?

I'm a big fan.

31227_400x400.jpg

What's a Rallye though? :D

There is a rallyelist with lots of information. TedK on this board owns one.

Almost bought the Polish version but it was just too slow in cruise for my taste.

Are you talking the Socata trainer? If so nice and roomy.

Yes, 180HP version… just spent Saturday flying it in and out of some very short fields. Quite a performer and easy to fly.

Almost bought the Polish version but it was just too slow in cruise for my taste.

Yup it's slow which is the major drawback… But ground roll on landing is something like 50 meters… just amazing.

Yes, 180HP version… just spent Saturday flying it in and out of some very short fields. Quite a performer and easy to fly.

Yeah, those qualities cost you a bit of speed, but are you flying long cross countries with it?

would consider adding a few people to insurance… you wanna fly the Baltic?

Yeah, from there Scandanavia and Central Europe are all easy access, so is St Petersburg if I can get in.

I still remember stepping out of the GUM store and thinking, "Hell yea, I could fly the 310 in and out of here easy.":lol:

I'm a big fan.

31227_400x400.jpg

What's a Rallye though? :D

French trainer with slats on the leading edge of the wing that move forward at slow speeds. Plane is virtually unstallable, just mushes down. Is nicknamed the "tin parachute," kind of appropriately I must say. Massive rudder with excellent cross wind performance. Almost overbuilt. Tricycle, but the nose wheel begs to rise. Durable undercarriage. Good on rough grass and slick surfaces. Slow but comfortable. Not well known in the US but has a real following in Europe. Easier to fly than a high wing Cessna, a forgiving STOL aircraft. Handles very nicely at slow speeds. The 150 HP versions are somewhat aerobatic (spins, loops, rolls).

I was impressed.

Last edited:
It is my firm belief that everyone needs at LEAST two aircraft. A go slow farting around one (needn't necessarily be a fixed wing) and a go fast all weather interceptor !

French trainer with slats on the leading edge of the wing that move forward at slow speeds. Plane is virtually unstallable, just mushes down. Is nicknamed the "tin parachute," kind of appropriately I must say. Massive rudder with excellent cross wind performance. Almost overbuilt. Tricycle, but the nose wheel begs to rise. Durable undercarriage. Good on rough grass and slick surfaces. Slow but comfortable. Not well known in the US but has a real following in Europe. Easier to fly than a high wing Cessna, a forgiving STOL aircraft. Handles very nicely at slow speeds. The 150 HP versions are somewhat aerobatic (spins, loops, rolls).

I was impressed.
Sounds like an awesome aircraft! Thanks for the explanation :lol:

It is my firm belief that everyone needs at LEAST two aircraft. A go slow farting around one (needn't necessarily be a fixed wing) and a go fast all weather interceptor !

3988695.jpg

I was impressed.

My Zenith does that....... And MORE.......:yes::):):):):):)

Good. Still leaves you with the downsides of experimentals.

The Rallye is a unique plane. They were built as trainers and touring planes to fly off grass fields in france. Very few of them in the US, quite common in europe (there was also a 235hp version with hard-points for anti-insurgency operations :D ). They make a good glider tug as they climb well at low speed.
Complaining about their speed is like complaining about the speed of a Maule. If the right 180hp comes my way I may buy it one of these days.

Last edited:
Good. Still leaves you with the downsides of experimentals.

The Rallye is a unique plane. They were built as trainers and touring planes to fly off grass fields in france. Very few of them in the US, quite common in europe (there was also a 235hp version with hard-points for anti-insurgency operations :D ). They make a good glider tug as they climb well at low speed.
Complaining about their speed is like complaining about the speed of a Maule. If the right 180hp comes my way I may buy it one of these days.

Mine (or the future mine) has a tow hook….

Was the current engine used for towing ? There are cases of cracked cylinders from shock cooling in glider tugs.

Not recently if ever. Compressions are mid 70s on an 800 hour engine consuming about 1 quart of oil every 20-25 hours.

Back