Any Portland, OR pilots here?

BigBadLou

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Lou
Any PoA members flying around the gorgeous area of Portland, OR? We will be visiting in August, attending a wedding one weekend and will have some free time so I thought we could meet some PoA folks for a lunch/dinner/beer.

What say you?

You rang?

mgk_zpsm2ipsfsx.jpg

Let me know what your schedule looks like and we'll see if we can put something together. In what part of town are you staying? We'll make sure you see the cultural highlights of Portland. :D

I come from Austin, the land of hippies, crazies, transies, potheads, weirdos and other pointless nonsense, a unicycle bagpiper shooting flames won't surprise me. So better try your hardest! :D

We will be staying right by the intl airport, I believe a mile or two east.

Lou, I'm jealous of your opportunity to visit. I lived there for several years post college and totally fell in love with PDX and what it had to offer back then. Opened my eyes up to good food, good beer, good culture, and nice variances of terrain. Someday I want to go back.

Your Austin experience will serve you well, but at the same time, you'll be better equipped to enjoy both the similarities and the differences.

Mike, come on with! :)

I got the dates from my "time manager" (aka "the wife").
We are arriving Saturday Aug 15th in the evening (scheduled 19:41 but y'all know how well that always works, LOL) so if anybody wants to do a late dinner, that's an option.

Our Sunday (Aug 16th) is wide open. Let us know if there are any pre-scheduled nearby activities or something and we can attend. Or if y'all want to organize something local from scratch, we're game too. Heads up: I can't walk far (due to an old injury) so no hiking up Mt. St. Helen for me. :(

We are attending a friends' wedding on Monday afternoon so we are partially open in the morning.

We will be staying at the La Quinta Inn and Suites Portland Airport which is right next to KPDX (across 205).

I got the dates from my "time manager" (aka "the wife"). We are arriving Saturday Aug 15th in the evening (scheduled 19:41 but y'all know how well that always works, LOL) so if anybody wants to do a late dinner, that's an option.

Our Sunday (Aug 16th) is wide open. Let us know if there are any pre-scheduled nearby activities or something and we can attend. Or if y'all want to organize something local from scratch, we're game too.
Cool! My wife is out of town that weekend (D-I-L in Phoenix is having foot surgery and needs help with the kids), so my weekend is wide open.

The time is drawing near.
Any other PoA members in the KPDX area? The more, the merrier. (no, we do not mind hanging out just with Jeff, for the record :) )

I remember there was a place in Portland's China Town that had some really REALLY good dim sum...

Can I place a to go order with you?

(and if we in Texas fly about to get our BBQ fix... I wonder what the folks in the upper left corner fly to for their food fix?)

I wanted to thank Jeff for being a great host. He showed us around the area, provided great historical facts, gave us ideas where to visit later and after we flew over the Mt. St. Helen's, we ended up at a great restaurant on the water and had a nice lunch with great beer.

Thank you, again, Jeff, it was great meeting another PoA member and you made our visit much more fun than we could even dream.

Some pictures from our weekend in Portland (as I found out, we never took a picture with Jeff, shame).
1 - Mt. St. Helen - from the NW side that slid and blew off in the eruption
(Mt. Adams peaking from the wildfire smoke in distance)
2 - The adjacent lake with all the dead trees still 3 decades later
3 - Monumental Mt. Reinier in distance
4 - Downtown Portland (OR) with their dozens of bridges
5 - Close-up of downtown
6 - Newest bridge in Portland
7 - The original Union Pacific train station

Attachments

• image1.JPG
    image1.JPG
    309.4 KB · Views: 14
  • image2.JPG
    image2.JPG
    386.5 KB · Views: 14
  • image3.JPG
    image3.JPG
    271.3 KB · Views: 12
  • image4.JPG
    image4.JPG
    263.2 KB · Views: 13
  • image5.JPG
    image5.JPG
    247.6 KB · Views: 13
  • image6.JPG
    image6.JPG
    204.7 KB · Views: 13
  • image7.JPG
    image7.JPG
    251.3 KB · Views: 14
Very cool! And nice pictures... Gives us some ideas what to do when we are in the area next week.

Do you or Jeff mind sharing the name of the restaurant you went to? PM is good too if you don't want to post it.

Thank you,
Martina

Do you or Jeff mind sharing the name of the restaurant you went to? PM is good too if you don't want to post it.
McMenamin's, 1801 SE Columbia River Dr., Vancouver WA. Beaches Restaurant is right next door; that's good, too. Both have good views of the river and PDX jet traffic. Historic Pearson Field is a short drive away. Drive through Officers Row on E. Evergreen Blvd. through the Vancouver National Historic Reserve district, and see the Marshall House (where Gen. George C. Marshall lived when he was C.O. of Vancouver Barracks in the 1930s) and the Grant House (where Ulysses S. Grant worked as a young Army officer in the 1850s -- good restaurant in there, too). Visit the Chkalov monument standing just outside the Pearson Air Museum.

Last edited:
Thanks a lot for all your recommendations and the information, Jeff!! It is very much appreciated. We'll surely do some of them.

Martina

McMenamin's - Check! Great place, very tasty food and beer. :) Great view on the river too. Thank you for the recommendation, Jeff

Martina

Back