Any POA'rs in the BOS area?

RyanShort1

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
RyanShort1
I'm thinking of going to the area just north of Boston to look at a plane. Do we have anyone on the board from there? Anyone know of a fair mechanic in the area?

Yep

What kind of airplane at what airport?

I'm here right now and looking at the USS Constitution as I write this. im here for 5 weeks on business. But, I have no info about the area.

All I can say is traffic here absolutely sucks, people are horrible drivers and it is wicked expensive. I wouldn't live here if you doubled my salary.

On the bright side, I can watch all the arrivals to Logan from my hotel window. Cool to see a string of lights at night 30 miles long and they all start the descent and the same place.

I'm in FLA for the winter,usually at KOWD for summer. There are reliable mechanics at the LWM airport. To the north. The Boston area has quite a few reliable shops in the metro area. What are you looking at,at what airport?

Cant help you with a mechanic as 1B9 is the opposite direction from me, but good luck with the 172!

I was gonna refer you to KBED as well. I live in Fort Worth and work in Billerica, MA a lot. East Coast Aero Club has a nice well maintained fleet so I would try calling them and asking who does their maintenance.

Probably a prebuy and ad check unless the costs start going into annual territory.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I547 using Tapatalk

I fly out of BVY...

Pretty sleepy delta and both traffic and landing fees are significantly less here than in kbed.

Also have a great on field mechanic service....North Atlantic Air. I know of at least two friends that helped them with a prebuy and ongoing mx and they report they are top notch.

Pm me if you need more info

Neil

I live outside Boston and use to fly out of 1B9. I now fly out of 3B3. I know of two really good mechanics in the area. Shoot me a PM if you'd like and I can give you my 2c.

The mechanic at Mansfield,is casey aviation,does a thorough job ,on whatever you need done. There are also shops in KTAN and K OWD. All can do an adequate pre buy.

All I can say is traffic here absolutely sucks, people are horrible drivers and it is wicked expensive. I wouldn't live here if you doubled my salary.

I was going to post something similar. Last summer I told my 16 YO daughter that if she would spend a couple of days looking at some historical sites around Boston that I wouldn't complain while following her around NYC while she shopped. While there we could find very few places of historical interest. We asked hundreds of people, including several at the car rental place at the airport and not one person knew of any historical sites. We drove over to the suburb of Braintree and asked about John Adams - I couldn't believe that no one knew where his house/library was, and half the people didn't know WHO he was. Surprisingly, even Google was no help helping us find it. The parts of the city we saw were an urban cesspool. The only place we could find was a cemetery where Paul Revere was buried - and it was in the middle of the city with no parking available. I had to drop my daughter off and drove around the block several times while she walked through it and took pictures. The entire trip from BOS to NYC she laughed her ass off. NYC was so much more fun for both of us.

I was going to post something similar. Last summer I told my 16 YO daughter that if she would spend a couple of days looking at some historical sites around Boston that I wouldn't complain while following her around NYC while she shopped. While there we could find very few places of historical interest. We asked hundreds of people, including several at the car rental place at the airport and not one person knew of any historical sites. We drove over to the suburb of Braintree and asked about John Adams - I couldn't believe that no one knew where his house/library was, and half the people didn't know WHO he was. Surprisingly, even Google was no help helping us find it. The parts of the city we saw were an urban cesspool. The only place we could find was a cemetery where Paul Revere was buried - and it was in the middle of the city with no parking available. I had to drop my daughter off and drove around the block several times while she walked through it and took pictures. The entire trip from BOS to NYC she laughed her ass off. NYC was so much more fun for both of us.

I just can’t let this slide without defending my town…

Sorry you had a bad time but it kind of sounds like you were unprepared. There is a ton of history in the BOS area, but asking neighbors in a suburb of Boston and a car rental agent prob wasn’t the best resource. If you do come back again I highly recommend a DUCK tour. It gives you a tour of the whole town, points out all the historical landmarks Boston is famous for, and is pretty entertaining.

As for the driving/parking- Boston is not a city you drive around in unless you know where you are going. It is very old and most of the streets are very narrow- especially now with the record snowfall we have had. Boston is a walking town- most of the interesting sites within a mile or two and walking from place to place (or taking the T) is a much easier plan.

If you ever give Boston another shot shoot me a PM. I’m a lifelong resident and a history buff so I can definitely give you a good itinerary.

If you ever give Boston another shot shoot me a PM. I’m a lifelong resident and a history buff so I can definitely give you a good itinerary.

and to pile on a little.

a lot of the historical sites aren't in Boston (is there even anything historical in Braintree?).

Look at Plymouth, Concord, and Lexington.

Boston IS a historical site. Some of the streets you were driving around on while your daughter walked through the cemetary are older than many of the "historical sites" you find in other cities in the country. You also passed some of the oldest buildings and neighborhoods in our country.
As others have said, it's a walking city unless you know your way around. It's too bad you didn't do a little research before coming here.

I'm in western MA most of the time and would have fun helping. I'm leaving Tuesday morning on a 2.5 week road trip of PA46 maint. training and prebuys. if you need help later let me know.

Boston IS a historical site. Some of the streets you were driving around on while your daughter walked through the cemetary are older than many of the "historical sites" you find in other cities in the country. You also passed some of the oldest buildings and neighborhoods in our country.
As others have said, it's a walking city unless you know your way around. It's too bad you didn't do a little research before coming here.
That's true. I've been to Boston and the surrounding area twice on historical tours with guides and I love the place - to visit. Pretty sure I'd miss my home state after a month or so, but I could go back and visit every year for a while and it not get old.

Back