Any plumbing experts here???

pmanton

En-Route
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
N1431A
HELP !!!

We've recently moved into a manufactured home on an airpark. I had to do some work getting our swamp coolers ready for the oncoming warm weather. I decided to remove the piercing saddle valve that was leaking and replace it with a proper tee for the cooler water. The valve is located on the inlet to the hot water heater. I cut the copper pipe where the piercing saddle valve was located and went to solder in the tee. To my horror I found out that the copper pipe going into the water heated had an OD of .675.:yikes: I can not find any info on any 1/2" copper pipe with an OD of .675. The copper pipe connects to the plastic pipe that this glorified house trailer uses. Can anyone give me a source for copper pipe fittings with an OD of .675?

Thanks

Paul
N1431A
2AZ1
www.indianhillsairpark.com

Are you sure it's not 0.625 in?

1/2" copper tubing is 0.625 in OD...

5/8" is 0.75 in OD...

Trapper John

No that's my problem---all the supply houses insist that it must be .625 the extra 50 thousands are the fly in the ointment. I've carefully miked it at .675. The pipe in question terminates in plastic on one end,and the water heater on the other.

Paul

Strange...

Any identifying marks on the copper? Usually there will be inked on markings saying something like ASTM B 280 Type L, followed by the size and the manufacturer's name.

Trapper John

No that's my problem---all the supply houses insist that it must be .625 the extra 50 thousands are the fly in the ointment. I've carefully miked it at .675. The pipe in question terminates in plastic on one end,and the water heater on the other.

Paul

Did you try a hammer?

Seriously.

I know that PVC & Brass 3/8" pipe will have a OD of 0.675 - perhaps copper runs the same

Bruce

Last edited:
Just replace all the copper. It'll be simpler than trying to track down some odd size used by the house factory.

I have run into this before when dealing with manufactured homes. (I have one as a rental) Call your local manufactured home dealer and he will have the proper size. These are a different animal and not your all plumbing supply places will have what you need. Or just use a universal compression fitting.

Last edited:
Manufactured homes sometimes use oddball size fittings, electrical parts, and other stuff. Try a mobile home parts supply house or certified repair person.

If you are in a bind and cannot locate the proper pipe... would it be possible to use 5/8th" pipe (type M) as a coupling to a 5/8" T joint or to get to a 5/8" to 1/2" reducer?

FWIW, wiki says that 5/8th pipe (type M) has an i.d. of .69"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tap_water#Copper

HELP !!!

We've recently moved into a manufactured home on an airpark. I had to do some work getting our swamp coolers ready for the oncoming warm weather. I decided to remove the piercing saddle valve that was leaking and replace it with a proper tee for the cooler water. The valve is located on the inlet to the hot water heater. I cut the copper pipe where the piercing saddle valve was located and went to solder in the tee. To my horror I found out that the copper pipe going into the water heated had an OD of .675.:yikes: I can not find any info on any 1/2" copper pipe with an OD of .675. The copper pipe connects to the plastic pipe that this glorified house trailer uses. Can anyone give me a source for copper pipe fittings with an OD of .675?

Thanks

Paul
N1431A
2AZ1

I think I'm just going to replace it with standard copper pipe. The only strange thing I'll need is some sort of a compression fittting to mate the plastic pipe to the copper.

We're 50 miles from the nearest decent store that I can expect to find copper fittings and such. This manufactured house is providing me with an education. I would however live in a Quonset Hut as long as it is right next to my hangar. :lol:

Cheers:

Paul
N1431A
2AZ1

how about automotive heater hose, T fittings, and hose clamps? Redneck engineering does not require a micrometer.

Paul

Try 15mm...

I've discovered my main problem. The plastic pipe used is the infamous Polybutylene which has been prohibited from installation for years. I've got a barbed fitting that should work with the plastic and I'll just go with standard copper into the water heater-swamp cooler plumbing. Oh well at least the house is on the runway :)

Cheers:

Paul
N1431A
2AZ1

Good choice not to try to glue onto the polybute. A friend of mine had a contractor glue a change over connection onto polybute and ended up with a flooded basement. Not fun at all.

I've never had to deal with the polybute crap so can't offer much useful. Maybe change it out with PEX some long weekend? As for my choice, I've always run copper but it is expensive in terms of time and material. It also won't last like plastic with with some of the more reactive mineral laden water supplies. Works great here in Colorado though.

Back