Any place to go to understand ATC to pilot talk?

Legiox

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
RatherBflying
Hey guys. I'm about to begin my stage 2 checkride next Tuesday. I have my solo cross country coming up after that and alittle nervous about talking with ATC at controlled airports.
So my question is: Is there any reference online or any type of online radio i can listen to, to get use to the fast talking ATC controllers use and the jargon they use for approach and departure comms. (even though i state to them I'm a student pilot..haha).

liveatc.net

And have fun!

Or get a handheld transceiver (you'll be wanting one anyway) and listen to your local approach frequencies. You get used to it over time.

Thanks guys. I'm in Law Enforcement right now and looking at joining up our Helicopter unit sometime this year and hopefully make a career out of it. I thought i would be comfortable with talking on comms since i have been doing so for going on 5 years. Man i was wrong. Sometimes i look at my Instructor and ask.... what the heck did they just say?

LOL
thanks again!!

Thanks for showing me the "say again" book. Just placed a order at Amazon. Should come in next week. Be great to read before my 1st solo cross country. Thanks again guys!!! Big help

Thanks for showing me the "say again" book. Just placed a order at Amazon. Should come in next week. Be great to read before my 1st solo cross country. Thanks again guys!!! Big help

Man, this forum has such influence!

Please send 5 dollars to

Ren B
P.O. Box 15310
RTP, NC 27709

I'm sure you'll enjoy bob's book, I have another book written by him and I thought it was excellent.

Thanks guys. I'm in Law Enforcement right now and looking at joining up our Helicopter unit sometime this year and hopefully make a career out of it. I thought i would be comfortable with talking on comms since i have been doing so for going on 5 years. Man i was wrong. Sometimes i look at my Instructor and ask.... what the heck did they just say?

LOL
thanks again!!

One of the difficulties is that law enforcement uses a different phonetic alphabet than ICAO and different phraseology and radio procedures too. Coming from an Army background, I had no issues whatsoever with aviation speak, which is basically an abbreviated form of military radio communications.

"Say again" has no roots whatsoever in aviation, but is a carryover from general military radio protocol, where "repeat" is never used on the radio except when requesting an additional artillery barrage.

Keep in mind that much - in fact most - aviation communication is very scripted. In a given place and situation, most of us can predict what will be said, by whom, in what order and pretty well write the words that will be used. Knowing that will help you understand the communication even if some people slip into jargon. ATC seldom uses jargon, pilots too often do.
Note also that some of what is said by ATC is designed to address a bigger situation. For example, if ATC warns you of a nearby aircraft, they may use your response to help them make a decision as to whether or not there is sufficient separation and who is responsible for maintaining it.
As a rule of thumb, expect that every thing you sat to ATC goes on tape. They know this and choose their wording accordingly. Many pilots do, as well.

airtrafficatlanta.com

Just have to be different. :D

Speaking of, where would I buy Bob's book in ePub format? I gave up on iPad, where I bought it from iBooks...

I have read another book on the same topic, which left a bigger impression, but I cannot find it now. I have Bob's book (its title is actually "Say Again, Please"), but that one was different. It had a cartoon of a busy controller in a tower on the cover. Frankly if I remembered what it was, I would've bought it instead.

If you are a member of AOPA, I think you can log on to the site and look into training and there is a short course on radio transmissions. There are also PDFs with guides to towered and untowered airports (including radio use). Lots of stuff on AOPA, go there.

Maybe Bob will stop in here or you can PM him ... get him to autograph it? :D

I have read another book on the same topic, which left a bigger impression, but I cannot find it now. I have Bob's book (its title is actually "Say Again, Please"), but that one was different. It had a cartoon of a busy controller in a tower on the cover. Frankly if I remembered what it was, I would've bought it instead.

I think the book is called "common pilot errors from a controller point of view" or something. I have a book like you described at work.

Speaking of, where would I buy Bob's book in ePub format? I gave up on iPad, where I bought it from iBooks...

Go to www.as2fly.com and look under Products. I don't know what an ePub is, since I'm not the most computer literate guy around, but the person I spoke to at ASA said that it is available in several formats.

Bob

Go to www.as2fly.com and look under Products. I don't know what an ePub is, since I'm not the most computer literate guy around, but the person I spoke to at ASA said that it is available in several formats.

Bob
By "ePub" I think he is asking if the book is available in digital format.

"Say Again, Please..." is available as a digital book and is published by ASA's site, www.asa2fly.com. From their site, "ASA eBooks can be installed on up to 5 devices simultaneously, and read on a range of digital devices including the Apple iPhone®, iPad®, iPod Touch®, and Android® smartphones/tablets as well as PC and Mac computers."

pericynthion said:
"Say again" is your friend
+1 Bob Gardner is the author. Excellent book on radio comms.

Haha, I've never read Bob's book. I was referring to using "Say again" on the radio when confused, so that ATC will repeat and/or clarify their instruction...

My instructor was telling me a story on how "minor" ATC communication mishaps can lead to something bad.

Long story short...

Guy was approaching airport for touch and goes at a class D airport. ATC gave him clearance to Land but not for the Option. So instead of landing like ATC told him to, he touched and go and almost hit traffic departing same runway headon on his climb out. Scary stuff.

Pay attention to detail :)

By "ePub" I think he is asking if the book is available in digital format.

"Say Again, Please..." is available as a digital book and is published by ASA's site, www.asa2fly.com. From their site, "ASA eBooks can be installed on up to 5 devices simultaneously, and read on a range of digital devices including the Apple iPhone®, iPad®, iPod Touch®, and Android® smartphones/tablets as well as PC and Mac computers."

Thanks, Mike. That's exactly what the lady at ASA said when I called. As a card-carrying troglodyte, I don't have a smartphone, I don't do Facebook or Twitter....I should just be placed on an ice floe and floated out into the cold and dark.

Bob

No, Bob, you shouldn't! That would mean that a lot of that Old Guy wisdom floats away too... And I'd have to be on the ice right behind you.

Rather,

I had the same problem, having learned to fly in the boondocks. Several weeks back I REALLY needed to fly to a Class D airport. Two things turned this dreaded experience into a great step forward in my flying:

tango whiskey knows the area and specific airport and gave me very specific instructions.

Along with those instructions I kept thinking about someone telling me to say "WHO you are, WHERE you are and WHAT you want to do."

With these two things in mind I rehearsed the whole thing in my head and it all clicked. I have been into a couple of controlled airports since then with all confidence. Don't worry, just remember WHO,WHERE,WHAT and work through it. In no time you'll be yakking with them just like you were on your police radio.

BTW, my most recent instructor was a long time Helicopter pilot for the Dallas Police Department. He was the first in 1970. He got his helicopter license because he knew it was a matter of time before they started a helicopter division. Hopefully it works out for you the same way.

Along with those instructions I kept thinking about someone telling me to say "WHO you are, WHERE you are and WHAT you want to do."

My CFI also told me to add "who you're taking to" and refers to it as 4 W's

Who you are talking to
Who you are
Where you are
What do you want

I train in 2 untowered airports. One right under Bravo, another right under Charlie. While I am not planning to talk to New York Approach, my conversation with Allentown approach (Class C) went fine so far. Airport is not busy. Got a squawk code, told them to report airport in sight. After that, switched to Tower, and all was ok.

In addition to all the above, the FBO Flight School couch. That's why sitting there studying for your writtens is a good thing because you also assimilate your surroundings some as well; you hear and pay attention to this and that which provides an 'ah ha' piece of a puzzle that was floating in your mind. Also take a break and walk into the maintenance hangar, put your hands in your pockets, look around and listen.

In addition to all the above, the FBO Flight School couch. That's why sitting there studying for your writtens is a good thing because you also assimilate your surroundings some as well; you hear and pay attention to this and that which provides an 'ah ha' piece of a puzzle that was floating in your mind. Also take a break and walk into the maintenance hangar, put your hands in your pockets, look around and listen.
I hadn't thought about the couch aspect, good thinking. But the "hang around the maintenance hanger with your hands in your pockets..." I've done this a few times and it really is helpful. I think the mechanics enjoy showing someone who's interested what they're up to... at least the mechanics I was watching did, and I really appreciated them telling me things.

I hadn't thought about the couch aspect, good thinking. But the "hang around the maintenance hanger with your hands in your pockets..." I've done this a few times and it really is helpful. I think the mechanics enjoy showing someone who's interested what they're up to... at least the mechanics I was watching did, and I really appreciated them telling me things.

There is not a mechanic out there that isn't willing to teach you how to not mess up 'his airplane' :rofl:

I think a lot of people get a little nervous at first when having to talk to ATC. I did my training at a class-D airport and was on the radios from day one. After a few times talking to them (and they quickly new me as a newbie), I got more comfortable on the radios and actually got to the point where I preferred working with ATC more-so than thinking of them as the police of the airport.

I now look forward to flying on busy days at the controlled airports. It helps keep up the skills not only on communication, but also following direction and playing with other aviators.

You'll get the hang of it fairly quick with a little practice I'm sure. If in doubt, ask questions here.

Several weeks back I REALLY needed to fly to a Class D airport.

When approaching Class C or D, think "DDAA and Intentions". In my opinion the "who you are" is obvious since all radio communications require that part.

D - distance
D - direction
A - altitude (too many pilots leave this one out)
A - ATIS or AWOS
Intentions - "landing" or "for fullstop" or "for touch and goes"

"Dogpatch Tower, Cessna 12345, eight miles east at 2,800, with Delta for touch and goes."

Last edited:
Back