Any Pireps for Du Page?

steingar

Taxi to Parking
Display Name

Display name:
steingar
If the weather gods give their blessing I'll be picking up a passenger and some cargo on Sunday. I've been directed to DuPage County, DPA, which is near where my passenger lives. Anything I need to know that I can't find on a chart? O boy, I get to use my Chicago sectional twice this year!

It is a big airport, landwise that it is. It is not terribly busy. Have the taxing diagram handy and do not be afraid to ask for directions. Give tower a call 10-15 miles out and that will be fine. Watch the class bravo floors and that is about it. The terminal itself is also pretty big. If you have stuff to haul they can dispatch a golf cart for you. The terminal also has a lunch counter that is not open on weekends so do not plan on eating there Sunday.

For low cost fuel, the credit card self serve fuel pumps are on the NorthEast Ramp. East of 15/33, and across from Mukenschnabl's hangar.

Most passenger pickup is done on the West ramp underneath the Tower at DuPage Flight Center.

If you are looking for flight following from the West or North, Chicago Approach in that area is 120.55. If you are coming from the South/SW, it will be 133.50 and they will likely leave you on that freq until handed to DPA tower.

Not much to say about DPA itself. Nice airport, big runways, no obstructions, several ILS.

On departure - just be aware that if you takeoff on RWY 10, and climb aggressively, you've got ORD's Bravo airspace looming above.

Thanks for the tips guys! Flight went off without a hitch. Place was busier than a beehive, and there was some sort of community festival. A couple bombers were on display, and someone had a scale model twin you could sit in. A polished P40 landed just as I was taxiing out. Oh, and an Eclipse taxied in just as I was loading the Free Bird. I always thought those were a gas, a little toy jet about the size of a 210.

Logansport Indiana had the cheapest gas I've seen in a long time, $3.89. Hit them coming and going.

Back