any pireps for chattanooga airport?

rbridges

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
rbridges
Planning on a weekend trip with wife and son to Chattanooga this Friday and Saturday. I thought it might be easier to fly into Collegedale which is a few miles east of Chattanooga but getting a rental car isn't as convenient. Is Chattanooga (KCHA) pretty simple/friendly to deal with? It would be closer and more convenient for the rental car, but I thought a smaller airport would be a little quicker entering/leaving.

One of my plane partners has been there many times and likes it and says the FBO is good.

I actually was going to post a similar thread. I'm planning on flying up for a crew regatta my daughter is rowing in on November 1st. In addition to airport of choice, the wife was curious about leaves changing colors in the area when we are there on October 31st through November 2nd. So what sayeth the Chattanooga locals?

I always enjoyed the stops at CHA - and the eye candy at the front counter back then used to be world class. Dunno about now.

CHA isn't very busy. Airfield layout is straight forward so it's pretty easy in and out. Most go to Wilson Air on the west side. Good service.

Downtown is about 5 miles west. You've got Lookout Mountain and Ruby Falls about 10 miles SW. You can go to the Aquarium and see the Rowing from there, although I'm sure there are better viewing areas. Leaves should be at their peak Nov 1st but the colors are better to the mountains east in north GA.

I actually was going to post a similar thread. I'm planning on flying up for a crew regatta my daughter is rowing in on November 1st. In addition to airport of choice, the wife was curious about leaves changing colors in the area when we are there on October 31st through November 2nd. So what sayeth the Chattanooga locals?

I *think* peak leaf season for north Georgia is late October/early November. Chattanooga is probably close to that or maybe a week or so earlier.

CHA isn't very busy. Airfield layout is straight forward so it's pretty easy in and out. Most go to Wilson Air on the west side. Good service.

Downtown is about 5 miles west. You've got Lookout Mountain and Ruby Falls about 10 miles SW. You can go to the Aquarium and see the Rowing from there, although I'm sure there are better viewing areas. Leaves should be at their peak Nov 1st but the colors are better to the mountains east in north GA.

thanks. Been there a few times by car, but this will be the first time flying.

I thought it might be easier to fly into Collegedale which is a few miles east of Chattanooga but getting a rental car isn't as convenient.

Collegedale (my home base) is a great airport, but yes, rental cars are a hassle. CHA is much closer to downtown and what I would recommend. (FGU is 30-40min to downtown depending on traffic) The controllers are very good and CHA is a slow class C, no problems getting in. Wilson Air is a first class outfit, I've used them other places and the service is great.

Where in Chattanooga are you going?

Collegedale (my home base) is a great airport, but yes, rental cars are a hassle. CHA is much closer to downtown and what I would recommend. (FGU is 30-40min to downtown depending on traffic) The controllers are very good and CHA is a slow class C, no problems getting in. Wilson Air is a first class outfit, I've used them other places and the service is great.

Where in Chattanooga are you going?

just winging it. Probably rock city and the River Gorge boat tour among others. Any recommendations for good places to eat?

I have been there a few times. It's an easy airport VFR or IFR. Nice FBO (Wilson Air) - welcome you with red carpet (literally)! The Art District has some nice places to eat.

just winging it. Probably rock city and the River Gorge boat tour among others. Any recommendations for good places to eat?

Downtown has tons of places to eat

Thai: Thai Smile
Brewery/restaurant: Big River Grille, The Terminal, Chattanooga Brewing Co.
BBQ: Rib and Loin, Sticky Fingers, Sugars Ribs
Italian: Alleia, Tonys (in the bluff view art district)
Upscale: St Johns, Hennens
Burgers: Urban Stack
Interesting bar: The Flying Squirrel
Tap room: Heaven and Ale
Diners: City Café diner, Blueplate
Seafood: Bluewater Grill, Boathouse
Good Mexican: Taqueria Jalisco (small place, hard to get in), La Altenia
American Mexican: Taco Mamacita
German pub: Brewhaus

Just the tip of the iceberg, there are more restaurants popping up than I can keep track of, last weekend we ate at a Latin American place called The Conga. Simple place, good spicy food.

There are also chains downtown, but why be boring?

We flew the 172 into Chattanooga last month and spent a few days. It was a great airport/FBO. I'd do it again. We loved Chattanooga too.

I am based at 1A0 which is also in the CHA, and FGU airspace, very familiar with it. 2 main fbo's, wilson air and tac air. Both are good and either will get you in and out with ease. If you do decide to fly into Collegedale (FGU) it is also a great airport, very easy in and out as well. Like you say no rental car service there but as far as i know they have a crew car you are welcome to. I would say for your need, fly into CHA, very friendly folks on the ATC, i hope you enjoy your stay, any other questions please let me know! :)

Downtown has tons of places to eat

Thai: Thai Smile
Brewery/restaurant: Big River Grille, The Terminal, Chattanooga Brewing Co.
BBQ: Rib and Loin, Sticky Fingers, Sugars Ribs
Italian: Alleia, Tonys (in the bluff view art district)
Upscale: St Johns, Hennens
Burgers: Urban Stack
Interesting bar: The Flying Squirrel
Tap room: Heaven and Ale
Diners: City Café diner, Blueplate
Seafood: Bluewater Grill, Boathouse
Good Mexican: Taqueria Jalisco (small place, hard to get in), La Altenia
American Mexican: Taco Mamacita
German pub: Brewhaus

Just the tip of the iceberg, there are more restaurants popping up than I can keep track of, last weekend we ate at a Latin American place called The Conga. Simple place, good spicy food.

There are also chains downtown, but why be boring?

I agree totally with these restaurants, all are great, downtown Chattanooga is a very nice upscale place and is definitely the scenic city from the air and ground.

If you get a chance, it is nice to walk the Walnut Street bridge (pedestrian only) and visit Cooledge Park and the Northshore. Back on the downtown side of the bridge, you can start to walk up the Tennessee Riverpark, a really nice linear park that runs 10 miles up to Chickamauga Dam, and has nice large parks and open spaces along it's path.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walnut_Street_Bridge_(Tennessee)

http://www.hamiltontn.gov/tnriverpark/

Man.. All this talk about Chattanooga is making me think of heading up that way, too! It's only ~2.5 hr drive from our domicile on the south side of ATL. Might have to check it out as a weekend trip this fall sometime.

Man.. All this talk about Chattanooga is making me think of heading up that way, too! It's only ~2.5 hr drive from our domicile on the south side of ATL. Might have to check it out as a weekend trip this fall sometime.

If you do, drop me a PM.

We flew to KCHA a few months ago, and had a very nice experience. People at Wilson's Air were great - placed a red carpet under the door of my rental C182, and entertained my wife during the pre-flight on our way back. The rental car was dirt chip ($42 incl. all fees and taxes for 3 days for "Manager's Choice" at Hertz). The airport was not busy - at take-off I only had to wait a few extra minutes for one departing regional jet.

We had a wonderful time there visiting places others already mentioned. I just want to add a couple things... There was 2-hrs long line to see Ruby Falls - in my opinion it was not worth it (but we've been to a lot of caverns in the past, so YMMV). And the dinner at St. John's was probably one of the most amazing we had in restaurants in years - the atmosphere, the service and the food all were top notch - highly recommended.

Just a heads up: It will be busy in Chattanooga this weekend.

1.) Ironman triathlon, there will be some road closures and traffic problems
2.) Wine over water: Charity event on the Walnut street bridge. I believe the bridge is still open to pedestrian traffic though.
3.) County Fair is this weekend at Chester Frost Park, but that is outside the city and shouldn't be of much issue.

A day trip will be fine, if you want to stay overnight and don't already have reservations, it will be tough sledding.

You guys were right. Shot right in and was at the fbo in no time. Very friendly people. Rooms were a little full but not a major problem. Town is full of cars with bike racks for the iron man. :yesnod:

If you get a chance, it is nice to walk the Walnut Street bridge (pedestrian only) and visit Cooledge Park and the Northshore. Back on the downtown side of the bridge, you can start to walk up the Tennessee Riverpark, a really nice linear park that runs 10 miles up to Chickamauga Dam, and has nice large parks and open spaces along it's path.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walnut_Street_Bridge_(Tennessee)

http://www.hamiltontn.gov/tnriverpark/

I proposed to my wife at the Walnut Street Bridge. Lots of good memories of Chattanooga.

2 main fbo's, wilson air and tac air.

Tac Air is gone now. I can't remember the exact details, but I believe the airport forced them out and gave their facilities to Wilson within the last year.

CHA is one of those airports that makes you wonder why it is a Class C. Very sleepy.

Back