any piper fans out there?

Garmin 796 in it so you have the magenta line, just no GPS for approach. 100 hours on the engine represents a $17,000 investment. Airframe is high so if you take a basic warrior at about 25 to 30K, add the new engine, I would still say a bit much.
On the other hand, I have a warrior with a O320 with about 300 hours, ifr package including an 89B for approach and enroute (/G) you could have for... say $50k. I'll even deliver it.
i am looking for a 180 HP...

A&P came back and gave a ball park... about 40 on high side (considering he knows the guy who did the motor and said he does a great job and new prop and some other cosmetic stuff). @Ryanb looks like you were spot on. he did mention that without looking at the real thing its hard to put a number on it. i will ask the owner if he is open to offers, if not, no point driving 300 miles

Offer 30k cash money today and see what he says.

well, he haven't responded to my text asking if he is open to offers yet... so will see how that goes. yah if i can get one at 30k, putting an AP + some Avidyne avionics would be less than his asking price

Flying a 76 Warrior PA28-151 with a 160HP engine that has a lot less total time, the engine is mid time and it has a 430W in it and is values around 35K

In my opinion, that airplane is about 10k too high, only because of the TT. I could see it bringing in ~$42,500.
That was what I figured as well...about $42k...
If he won't take $42k, just wait a year, because at that price it will be most likely still for sale, and he might take it then.

With the times and equipment I wouldn't offer much over 23k OTD

But to be frank you'd be a fool to not spend a little more for a far better plane.

With the times and equipment I wouldn't offer much over 23k OTD

But to be frank you'd be a fool to not spend a little more for a far better plane.
Better yet, $18,500 and you'll throw in a pack of beer . Lowball the heck out of him and see if he chokes! :rofl:

Better yet, $18,500 and you'll throw in a pack of beer . Lowball the heck out of him and see if he chokes!
I sent him a text, expecting a lot of foxtrot words pretty soon

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Better yet, $18,500 and you'll throw in a pack of beer . Lowball the heck out of him and see if he chokes! :rofl:

The thing is, supply and demand, plus it's condition, configuration and times, it's not exactly a "low ball"

b/w how close are the VREF tool or the TaP evaluation tool. i plugged in the numbers of this piper with engine hrs, AFTT hrs and Prop hrs and VREF tells me 48k and TaP tells me 50K . my A&P tells me about 40 (i will more than likely listen to him, even though he mentioned that he doesn't buy/sale plane for a living but have some average idea based on the work he does for various clients he has)... and here i have heard 18-40 :)

even if i leave this specific one out, for first time buyers this is really confusing. as a seller obviously they think their 30 yr old plane with factory avionics is worth a kidney + half left lung, but as a first time buyer how do you come down even close to the real number? keep throwing numbers at various sellers (and offend most) and see what sticks and get an idea from there?

b/w how close are the VREF tool or the TaP evaluation tool. i plugged in the numbers of this piper with engine hrs, AFTT hrs and Prop hrs and VREF tells me 48k and TaP tells me 50K . my A&P tells me about 40 (i will more than likely listen to him, even though he mentioned that he doesn't buy/sale plane for a living but have some average idea based on the work he does for various clients he has)... and here i have heard 18-40 :)

even if i leave this specific one out, for first time buyers this is really confusing. as a seller obviously they think their 30 yr old plane with factory avionics is worth a kidney + half left lung, but as a first time buyer how do you come down even close to the real number? keep throwing numbers at various sellers (and offend most) and see what sticks and get an idea from there?

If you don't like the number, pass. Another bird will come along for a better price in better shape with better avionics.

Don't be the sucker that over pays for somthing that isn't your perfect plane.

What the older plane owners have to look at is that is every year that passes the new planes today get older also.

Also remember that in many states you'd have to pay sales tax for a late 80's bird, but not for the same plane that was made in the 70's. BIG difference in price for pretty much the same airframe.

Also remember that in many states you'd have to pay sales tax for a late 80's bird, but not for the same plane that was made in the 70's. BIG difference in price for pretty much the same airframe.
He may live in Delaware.:eek:

ha.. i had no idea about this one. doesnt make any sense in my head, but again .. very few things make sense in there anyway :p

As far as aircraft taxes, do your research, that's all I got to say, but really, google that chit

I was wondering if it's OK to show up with a case of beer next time I am there? Don't know what an acceptable practice looks like in aviation world. Thoughts?

A case of BEER! Hell I'll do the prebuy for you! Oh wait, I don't have an A&P....:(

8 months ago bought a 1982 Warrior 5 hours on the over haul and new interior with a 530w and 2000 hrs total time for 55K...lots of new parts...wheels tires and AP....there are better deals out there

A case of BEER! Hell I'll do the prebuy for you! Oh wait, I don't have an A&P....:(
Get a certificate/license / whatever it's called...I will buy u a dozen cases.. all imported if that's what float your boat. Heck I will also throw in a single malt

8 months ago bought a 1982 Warrior 5 hours on the over haul and new interior with a 530w and 2000 hrs total time for 55K...lots of new parts...wheels tires and AP....there are better deals out there
U selling?? thanks for chiming in, I will keep my eyes out for such a deal, don't mind waiting, that's actually the list of thing I want. Even better if it comes with EGT/CHT monitor, don't mind putting it in myself after as well.

Get a certificate/license / whatever it's called...I will buy u a dozen cases.. all imported if that's what float your boat. Heck I will also throw in a single malt

Make it PBR and you're on! :D

Is that one of the Pipers they instruct with at Vic's, or is he just selling it?

Is that one of the Pipers they instruct with at Vic's, or is he just selling it?
He's just selling it, actually I am touch with the owner directly. He barely uses it anymore, it's sitting there getting annuals and new LED light's and carpets ...

He's just selling it, actually I am touch with the owner directly. He barely uses it anymore, it's sitting there getting annuals and new LED light's and carpets ...

Be careful with planes like that. That's like the worst combination. Meaningless cheap upgrades to make owner think it's worth more, while letting it rot by not using it.

I would not buy a plane that hasn't flown at least 100 hours/year for the past 5 years, unless it was priced as a project (and this one is priced as a mint example...)

Be careful with planes like that. That's like the worst combination. Meaningless cheap upgrades to make owner think it's worth more, while letting it rot by not using it.

I would not buy a plane that hasn't flown at least 100 hours/year for the past 5 years, unless it was priced as a project (and this one is priced as a mint example...)
Yeah I am 80% sure I will pass on this one. Going thru the logs, it's was OH in 2010, 108 since then, and last year it flew 7 hrs... I walked more than that in 2 days when I was a couch potato

You'd miss out on some deals in the desert southwest where things are dry and airplanes don't "rot" much other than rubber and rubberized type things and plastic panels dry out and crack. Especially if they're hangared, having flown some but not 100 hours a year, isn't the death knell it can be for planes in wetter climates.

Out in the sun, yeah... it'll probably look like hell from the paint needing to be redone and the interior but if the critters stayed out of it, it may still be a deal. It's even pretty rare to see corrosion problems in the engines due to water being introduced while running them.

It's also why we see quite a few 70s cars on the roads still, without any major body rust or just small spots at corners near the wheel wells. And why everyone who visits in winter gets nosebleeds and is amazed at how hard a doorknob will shock you with static electricity. Heh. Heck I toasted a wall thermostat one day long ago by zapping the holy crap out of myself in a carpeted room after shuffling over to it in socks. Right through the keypad membrane. That hurt.

You'd miss out on some deals in the desert southwest where things are dry and airplanes don't "rot" much other than rubber and rubberized type things and plastic panels dry out and crack. Especially if they're hangared, having flown some but not 100 hours a year, isn't the death knell it can be for planes in wetter climates.

Out in the sun, yeah... it'll probably look like hell from the paint needing to be redone and the interior but if the critters stayed out of it, it may still be a deal. It's even pretty rare to see corrosion problems in the engines due to water being introduced while running them.

It's also why we see quite a few 70s cars on the roads still, without any major body rust or just small spots at corners near the wheel wells. And why everyone who visits in winter gets nosebleeds and is amazed at how hard a doorknob will shock you with static electricity. Heh. Heck I toasted a wall thermostat one day long ago by zapping the holy crap out of myself in a carpeted room after shuffling over to it in socks. Right through the keypad membrane. That hurt.
I'd second this...don't just "automatically" eliminate planes because they sit...each plane should be evaluated of its own positives/negatives...my current plane flew <10 hours a year for 4 years before I got it. If I had passed it by because it sat I would have missed a great deal. But by checking it out, I found it was kept in a dry environment (plane was even kept in a heated hangar with actual carpet) and totally pampered by the last owner...guy had lots of money but no time to fly.

The Warrior sat for two or three years, barely flying. Seven years later it is still flying strong. We had to put a cylinder on it because the spark plug insert came loose and could not be fixed. Put a mag on it and spinner back plates until we discovered the carbon fiber replacements. Plane has been hanagared and is in good shape. I had a good pre-buy done on it. One cylinder was down on compression a bit, my A&P said it was most likely a valve that had been sitting open while the plane set and we should fly it and have it checked a few hours later. We did and all was good. We're not saying the plane is bad, just over priced.

Depends on the climate. Hot and humid regions are grounds for corrosion. I've seen what could be great airplanes, become ramp queens after many years of owner neglect. The UV destroys paint, engines begin to have corrosion and birds make homes out of cowlings.

Obviously this situation doesn't sound quite that extreme, but if it's been sitting outside for extended periods with no action, than red flags begin to show.

More to the point, look at the mission.

Pipers are fine aircraft, but Warriors are problematic for IFR (can't do 500 FPM over 5000 on a standard day), and get a bit weak with two adult passengers. An Archer would be better. All the PA28s start to peter out over 10,000, quite a bit worse than their Cessna counterparts.

And you will never take a photo without a wingtip or prop in it again.

More to the point, look at the mission.

Pipers are fine aircraft, but Warriors are problematic for IFR (can't do 500 FPM over 5000 on a standard day), and get a bit weak with two adult passengers. An Archer would be better. All the PA28s start to peter out over 10,000, quite a bit worse than their Cessna counterparts.

That's the reason I sold my warrior (and that one was the semi-tapered mind you, I miss that wing), the climb rate was atrocious out here in hellacious TX. Granted, the engine was a bit tired, but full fuel and two up and it was painful even below 5k. 200HP mill and no gear hanging on the Arrow fixed that to a large degree. An Archer is a good compromise for those deathly averse to retractable gear, though I think they're overpriced, especially the -181 variety. Almost cult pricing, which is insane to me for an aircraft line (PA-28 in general) with "cheap over complex" stamped all over it.

Arizona is great for dry, but there are other pockets of dry in the US. At Desert Aire (M94), here, we get less rain than Tuscon or Phoenix. And we are in Washington, famous for rain!!

100 hrs/year is completely unnecessary.

I went to Tempe in the middle of the dessert twice for a total of 2 weeks.

It was miserable.

My nose would bleed, the webs of my hands started cracking, my cuticles started cracking and bleeding, my eyes felt like they were on fire, my lips were cracked and bleeding. I felt like a piece of leather being dried out. It was horrible.

Back