Any pilots, please advise...

wsuffa

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Bill S.
This was in the email today. Funny, they used to mention qualification for WINGS credit, not shown here:

---------------------------------------

A new event has been scheduled that meets your notification criteria on FAASafety.gov. Following is a brief overview of the event:

"Say It Right!"
Topic: Say It Right! Radio Communication in Today's Airspace
On Wednesday, January 24, 2007 at 7:00 PM
611 Northwest Loop 410

San Antonio, TX 78216

Select Number:
AFS013249

Ever heard a radio call that made you scratch your head - or worse yet, cringe? Learn: The three magic words every pilot should know, Some things you should check before squawking 7600 for lost communication and the popular phrase the 2007 AIM says should NOT be used under any circumstances...and much more.

To view further details and to register for this event, click here.

The sponsor for this event is: FAA Safety Team, AOPA Air Safety Foundation

The campaign against "any traffic, please advise" seems to be picking up steam. Looks like AOPA and the FAA read aviation forums!

My personal desire.... If you're within five miles of and less than 3,000 AGL over an airport, say... who you are, what you are, where you are and what you're doing. If it's dark, light 'em up!

If you're on an instrument approach to a non-towered field and not released by approach, use the second comm and announce you're out there and your intentions. It's not a thrill to be doing pattern work, day or night, and have a Citation suddenly announce itself to be inside the fix on a three-mile final.

If you're doing maneuvers within ten miles of any airport, announce it. No matter how frequently you do clearing turns and how well you look, someone can always slip through.

Now, if I can only remember to put these to practice during my commercial ride! :hairraise:

Then, when ATC reads a sigmet to "attention all aircraft", some joker keys up and says "ALL AIRCRAFT ACKNOWLEDGE!":)

Bill,

Wings is getting overhauled, as part of the shift to FAAST from the old Aviation Safety Counselor program.

Back