Any other riders?

I've got 3 pleasure horses, 2 I ride and my old guy is retired. I'm just trail riding on our ranch and working some cattle with friends occasionally. They are all kind of big pets, but they are awesome and they work hard when I ask them to.

Joyce

Anyone here do any horseback riding? Hunter/Jumper, especially?

-Felix

My daughter has been into jumping (eventing) and dressage since she was 5, does that count?

Anyone here do any horseback riding? Hunter/Jumper, especially?

-Felix

I used to do some cutting and team penning and did a few endurance rides. Also worked cattle some on the neighbors ranch.

Both quarter horses went to better homes last year (wrote about it here).

Used to love early morning rides in the hills around here. My daughter was into hunters and eventing and all that, but I didn't have the time, talent, or interest.

But horses take a lot of time, and there are only so many hours in this full-time employee day...:(

I've got a couple of horses, and horse camp with them. It's not really trail riding because there are no trails. Well, we do shadow a few game trails. Neither me or my horses are disciplined enough for hunter/jumping. I've done some penning with my old mare, and I had to haze my neighbors blind bull back to his yard once.

Barb

I'll still ride and rope them if you will jump off and tie them down.

I used to own an AQHA gelding and did beginner dressage and jumping with him. "Snotzy" was such a joy. But I found that just about every waking minute away from work was spent at the barn. And on top of that, I'm allergic to horses. And hay, and grass, and all that horsey stuff. So I sold him to a friend. Her kids loved him because he was bombproof. Nothing fazed him. I miss my 'pony'. sniff sniff. If anyone knows anyone that needs a Stubben dressage saddle, Stubben all purpose saddle and bridles and such, let me know, I no longer have any use for them and need the shelf space.

Me and the "Snot Locker" (aka Poco Del Dan), relaxing after my first dressage show.

Attachments

• snotzy1.jpg
    snotzy1.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
Those are some nice stories! It's a fun hobby.

Like most here, I've also found that it consumes an amazing amount of time! 5 hours yesterday just for some jumping, then a bath, oil treatment, and grass. Takes forever!

I used to do the jumper/dressage thing when I was a teenager although I never owned my own horse. Then I moved away and got more interested in airplanes. For a long time I thought the two activities were similar in some aspects.

My wife is a dressage rider, and we have (she has?) 2-3/4 horses. She views it as her compensation for me having an airplane. My view is that a horse is basically a motorcycle with unreliable steering and brakes, although I can keep a very docile and well-trained horse going in more or less the direction I want without falling off.

Where did you buy the grass?

Those are some nice stories! It's a fun hobby.

Like most here, I've also found that it consumes an amazing amount of time! 5 hours yesterday just for some jumping, then a bath, oil treatment, and grass. Takes forever!

Where did you buy the grass?
I meant taking her out to eat some grass outside at the barn.

Mari - I agree, it's quite similar. I used to have trouble with holding the reins - sort of kept confusing them out of habit with a yoke, and not holding them tightly....

Ron - that's pretty funny!

My first wife had a room full of Blue, Red, and so forth ribbons from showing the quarter horse we were given as a wedding present. I limited myself to being the show announcer at the events. If I recall correctly, our lady's sire was Three Bars and mama was Barkeep.
You AQHA experts may correct me if my data is in error but I think Three Bars was a national champion quarter horse; I'm not sure about Bar Keep. My in-laws owned Triple Keep; he also came from Three Bars and Barkeep. The guy who had handled the breeding had come from Enid, OK, and had introduced me to the future wife.

HR

Last edited:
I used to own an AQHA gelding and did beginner dressage and jumping with him. "Snotzy" was such a joy. But I found that just about every waking minute away from work was spent at the barn. And on top of that, I'm allergic to horses. And hay, and grass, and all that horsey stuff. So I sold him to a friend. Her kids loved him because he was bombproof. Nothing fazed him. I miss my 'pony'. sniff sniff. If anyone knows anyone that needs a Stubben dressage saddle, Stubben all purpose saddle and bridles and such, let me know, I no longer have any use for them and need the shelf space.

Me and the "Snot Locker" (aka Poco Del Dan), relaxing after my first dressage show.

I would have loved that about 25 years ago.... haven't had a horse since then. In my next life, when I don't need to work anymore and have unlimited free time...

I was raised on the back of a horse, we hunted, camped, hunted, drove cows, hunted, did I say we hunted off them?

Had some good ones, and some that never came off the hill.

We never washed them, but would give them some grain after a hard ride.

But they were all ranch style horses, they worked for their food.

We miss our horses but like others, there is not but so much money and time to devote to them. We sold our 3 horses, the trailer, tack, diesel truck and anything else we could find we didn't need to make the down payment on our new airplane. Like I said we miss the riding but not that much! :D

Could never find the clutch on those things. I don't, but discussions with colleagues who've owned them suggested the costs between equine and airplane ownership were comparable.

My wife and I do some endurance, a bit of dressage and a little eventing, but mostly we are personal servants to a barn full of Arabians and Thoroughbreds.

Could never find the clutch on those things. I don't, but discussions with colleagues who've owned them suggested the costs between equine and airplane ownership were comparable.

The hourly costs are about the same, through there is less paperwork involved with the horses. :D

My wife and I board, train and compete 3-day horses. Well, she's the advanced rider "pro from Dover", I'm more the vice-president of maintenance. We used to do the hunters, but you can only do all that "inside diagonal, diagonal outside" stuff in a ring for so long. Jumpers we do to get the horses prepped for stadium courses, so we limit the jumps to 4' unless it's an advanced horse. Fox hunting was great training, but as the ground has been developed the hunts around here have gone from sporting to social clubs. I just ain't that sociable.
We live for cross country. Nothing get's the blood up like galloping down to a 4' square jump made out of logs. Not even an approach to minimums. I know of one former jet jockey who likens the feeling he gets in an advanced start box to the the one he got just before a cat shot off the deck of a carrier.

What seat and tree size are those saddles?

I can keep a very docile and well-trained horse going in more or less the direction I want without falling off.
That's as good as I got, too.

My ex owned a hunter-jumper and my older daughter really got into it while she was in High School. But for me, it was primarily a way to accompany my wife on trail rides.

One of the best parts about having your wife own a horse: The 1am call from the barn: "Your horse has colic." Dear, it's for you.....

-Skip

The hourly costs are about the same, through there is less paperwork involved with the horses. :D

Very true, but horse riding "instructors" are -- generally speaking -- full of various OWT that might or might not stand scrutiny.

Horse lore is the least scientific, most OWT ridden body of knowledge extant.

Except for initial purchase price, its pretty much the same.

Spouse and I would have 'discussions' about that. He would say that if he couldn't afford to fly, the planes would be in the hangar, waiting for when he could. And even if I couldn't afford to ride, the horse still costs $$.

My counter to that was, his airplanes never whinnied when he walked up to the hangar and wouldn't follow him around the airport begging for grapes. Of course, his airplanes never balked at taxiing over a bridge or through puddles or jumped three feet to the starboard when it saw a snake..... :mad:

For those that inquired about the saddles......give me some time to pull them off the shelf. I can't remember what size they are. 16.5/30....I THINK. ??

My fiancee is into horses, so I assume I will be at some point too. I'm reading this thread with baited breath...

...My counter to that was, his airplanes never whinnied when he walked up to the hangar and wouldn't follow him around the airport begging for grapes. Of course, his airplanes never balked at taxiing over a bridge or through puddles or jumped three feet to the starboard when it saw a snake....

Airplanes don't make copious quantities of manure either.

For those that inquired about the saddles......give me some time to pull them off the shelf. I can't remember what size they are. 16.5/30....I THINK. ??

Twas me. Really only interested in the Dressage saddle, and only if it's black. As for a 16" saddle, that was in the rearview long ago, no pun intended.
Could use a large warmblood-sized bridle too. PM me if you like with details.

Back