Any opinions here (ha) about Oklahoma Joe's

JOhnH

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Right Seater
Oklahoma Joe's just opened a new bbq restaurant here that is supposed to be really good. But I am having a little trouble convincing my wife to go. For one, she is not near the bbq fan I am. (But she is a good pilot and I don't have a medical, so I need to keep her). Also, she is not a fan of chain restaurants. I might have to just go without her, but that would be out of character for us.

What do you know about the place?

I swore that said Oklahoma Jews, and I was like "wtf man?!?"

I haven't heard of, nor seen the place, so I can't help with that.

Oklahoma Joe's? Like the ones in KC that are now renamed "Joe's KC"? As far as I know there are just the three here in town. It's possible they are not related.

if they are the same thing: then run, fast, and get in line.

edit:

https://okjoes.com/ourstory

Looks like they are related. In that case - follow my above advice. Get the brisket and ribs.

Their website of "locations" doesn't show the KC restaurants. It looks like "Joe" of Oklahoma Joe's sold his share of the KC joints to his business partners

https://www.joeskc.com/pages/our-story

Last edited:
I looked at the FL menu.

They seem to have the same thing, minus a couple of regional items.

Order "Z-Man on toast. One bone." And see what happens.

The Z-Man sandwich is arguably not BBQ because of the way it's fixed. Brisket, melted provolone, and a thick onion ring inside a kaiser roll. Get it on Texas Toast for an extra treat. I don't see it on the FL menu, but if the place is new enough there might be someone working there with experience in the KC stores that will know what it is.

One of the great things about OKJ is that you can order a single rib, so the "one bone" gives you a chance to sample a rib without ordering a slab.

I like the Z-Man but rarely order it, I generally get the combo brisket and pulled pork. They season their fries pretty heavily, tasty, but too much salt for me to eat too many. Their beans are really good.

Ok, so a bit of backstory: Oklahoma Joe’s namesake is from championship bbq and, more specifically, a popular line of offset smokers that came to fame in KC. The smoker business did well and was eventually sold off if I remember correctly.

The current restaurant chain came into existence and makes decent Q. It’s not world changing by any means, but they’ve got a solid menu.

I like their pulled pork, and their burnt ends are pretty good as well. It’s about the same quality as Hard 8 in Texas, if that helps any. Definitely worth a visit, but just don’t go in thinking its the end all, be all.

Back