any of you guys pursue commercial rating just 'cause?

rbridges

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
rbridges
I recently completed my instrument rating. Everyone said it would make you a better pilot, and I agree 100%. I'm noticeably better than I was 12 months ago. I thought about pursuing the commercial rating if there was much to be gained from it. If it has little or no benefit for a non-commercial pilot, I'll quit thinking about it.

Please give me your 2 cents.

go for it. It's not hard to do, the maneuvers may make you a better pilot, and it *might* get you a small break on your insurance in some cases.

Yep. I'm doing it right now. I decided I have the complex airplane so I might as well do it. I'm going to get my CFI also, but whether ill make a career out of flying I don't know. I have no desire to fly professionally, at least not full time.

I think any additional training is a good thing. I have not looked into the "commercial" maneuvers as I got my commercial certificate by application, but any evolution that gets you operating the aircraft with a mind to precise requirements and performance can only add to your bag of tricks. I say go for it.

Absolutely. Could open aviation doors you never imagined. Kind of like the lottery...if you don't play you can't win.
Come up to the EAA pancake breakfast at KCVC Saturday and we can talk about it.

I have commercial ratings in single and multi engine airplanes as well as single engine seaplanes but I've never been paid to fly. I did the training and checkrides for the ratings just to keep my head in the training game but it was fun as well. One of these days I'll probably go for a ATP for the same reasons.

And FWIW, I doubt that a commercial certificate will have any impact on insurance rates, definitely didn't for me.

You are in training mode now. I wish I had went from IR to Comm way back when. I am getting ready to get my CR books and it is a little scary.

I am doing the commercial because the maneuvers and precision appeals to me. A little different from the average bear because I am doing the commercial before my instrument.

thanks guys (and gal), I'll look into it. I imagine anything will be easier than my instrument checkride.

Absolutely. Could open aviation doors you never imagined. Kind of like the lottery...if you don't play you can't win.
Come up to the EAA pancake breakfast at KCVC Saturday and we can talk about it.

might do that if the weather isn't bad. when is it?

Yes, I did. Before starting civilian flight school, I fully planned on flying on the military side and had no intention of flying commercially. I'm not really sure what my reasoning was, other than the fact that I thought it would be cool to do some more advanced training, and I guess to keep some doors open if the military gig didn't end up working out. Glad I did it, didn't really end up being very useful as my career progressed though. It certainly had almost zero relevance to my current job, and I'm guessing that if I ever decide to go the airline route after I get off active duty, it won't have much relevance there either (nor would my mil experience).

Last edited:
You are in training mode now. I wish I had went from IR to Comm way back when. I am getting ready to get my CR books and it is a little scary.

This. I started my PPL in Jan of 2012 and finished in June. Built 50hrs PIC XC and started my instrument in Oct 2012 and finished Feb 2013. Built some time and now will be finishing my commercial in May 2013 and hopefully CFI June or July. I decided to stay in training mode because even 20 hours of flying outside of it has made me sloppy when it comes to thinks like precision landings.

When I bought my plane first thing I did was start my commercial. I wanted to be a master of my plane, the commercial really puts everything you know together in the maneuvers. I got an awesome feel for the plane by the time I was done with it. The maneuvers are very precise. I definitely feel safer and more confident with my skills now than before.

I'm doing it. I found that I pushed myself to be better, harder when I was studying for the instrument and I want to be in that state of mind again and more frequently.

might do that if the weather isn't bad. when is it?
We start serving at 8, and keep making food until about 9. Pancakes, french toast, eggs, biscuits & gravy, bacon, sausage, grits, coffee and OJ. All you can eat. 5 bucks. Beat that. Hope to see you there, ask for Lance.

I would never advise anyone to get any rating they didn't have a reasonably near term need for. I'd suggest they spend the money on more specific training that directly affected the kind of flying they do and anticipate doing in the near future. Having a commercial license on speculation that you might get to ride right seat in a Twin Cessna is not a very high return on investment.
From the point of view of skill progression, I'd suggest:
Private
Glider
Tail wheel
Complex
High performance
Instrument
Aerobatic & upset training

The commercial rating has little to do with flying well and a lot to do with rules and regulations with the idea that you are going to fly twin engine planes for hire. Any idiot can do the commercial maneuvers.

I haven't mastered the commercial maneuvers yet, does that mean I am an idiot in training?

I would never advise anyone to get any rating they didn't have a reasonably near term need for. I'd suggest they spend the money on more specific training that directly affected the kind of flying they do and anticipate doing in the near future. Having a commercial license on speculation that you might get to ride right seat in a Twin Cessna is not a very high return on investment.
Private
Glider
Tail wheel
Complex
High performance
Instrument

The commercial rating has little to do with flying well and a lot to do with rules and regulations with the idea that you are going to fly twin engine planes for hire. Any idiot can do the commercial maneuvers.

Because there are so many gliders and tail wheels out there for rent.

I haven't mastered the commercial maneuvers yet, does that mean I am an idiot in training?

I don't know if you are training to be an idiot or not, but any idiot can fly commercial maneuvers.

Same. :confused:

I think even if you don't use the commercial it's a valuable experience. Especially if you're carrying passengers a lot. It's about being smooth and knowing your airplane very well. I don't think any additional rating is a 'dumb' one.

As far as your progression level I did the following.

Private
Complex
High performance
A tiny bit of aerobatic/upset
Instrument

Currently working on
Commercial ASEL

Future ASES
CPL Glider

And I don't own a tailwheel so why would I rent one with a CFI for $200/hr? :dunno:

And I don't own a tailwheel so why would I rent one with a CFI for $200/hr? :dunno:

You make a valid point. My own experience is that it drives home a few ground handling points but I agree that the value is up to the individual. For the average pilot, I'd think 4-5 hours of tailwheel time is worth more than a commercial as far as developing airplane handling skills - but, I'll stipulate that I fly into a lot of grass strips with crosswinds so I value the ground handling bit more than I do flying a chandelle.

You make a valid point. My own experience is that it drives home a few ground handling points but I agree that the value is up to the individual. For the average pilot, I'd think 4-5 hours of tailwheel time is worth more than a commercial as far as developing airplane handling skills - but, I'll stipulate that I fly into a lot of grass strips with crosswinds so I value the ground handling bit more than I do flying a chandelle.

Once off the ground, a tail wheel flies like any other plane.

it's the other way around. grass makes ground handling easier and more forgiving

it's the other way around. grass makes ground handling easier and more forgiving

And its not just ground handling we are concerned about either. Coming into contact with the ground (landing) needs to be done with more control in a taildragger.

For example, making a nice and true three point requires some control to get the plane to touch down in the same attitude every time.

And a trike will tolerate touching down with some crab, the plane will straighten itself out. Touch down crabbing in a TW and you will immediately be heading for the weeds

Private
Glider

I am considering glider training once I have my PPL in 6ish weeks, but I was thinking mainly to help in case of a power-off emergency. Are there other advantages to glider training?

I am considering glider training once I have my PPL in 6ish weeks, but I was thinking mainly to help in case of a power-off emergency. Are there other advantages to glider training?

Learning how to thermal.

Soaring is a sport, not a mode of transportation. It can be a whole new world of aviation. It's a lot of fun; develops good hand flying skills, develops micrometeorology skills, teaches energy management, connects you to a great group of people and can be a great challenge if you care to go into competition or serious cross country flying.

and yeah, it can help in case of a power-off emergency.

Private
Glider
Tail wheel
Complex
High performance
Instrument

I generally agreed with you up until you said twin engine airplanes (unless you are doing the CMEL as your initial commercial)...Most Aerial survey, pipeline, banner towing, flight instruction etc does not involve twins and all require atleast a Commercial certificate. It's about flying airplanes in general for hire.

Once off the ground, a tail wheel flies like any other plane.

Y'know, I see that line a lot.

But once you get it off, you gotta get it back on, and making contact with the ground with precision is more required in the t/w, and that's what we are talking about , so what's your point ?

Y'know, I see that line a lot.

But once you get it off, you gotta get it back on, and making contact with the ground with precision is more required in the t/w, and that's what we are talking about , so what's your point ?

I was just countering the dismissive tone that the commercial is worthless, with a "unless you're going to always fly tail wheel, it's just as useless" counterpoint.

Commercial training is a lot of fun, makes you a much more precise flier. I went that route, took the written, and scheduled the checkride. But because I have no aspirations of being paid to fly, I canceled. I heard if you hold a comm cert and something happens to bring you to the attention of the FAA, chances are you will be held to a higher standard then a pvt with a 3rd class.
Stuff happens. Why take the risk for no reward?

Do the training by all means, but think through getting the cert if flying for dollars isn't in the cards, imho.

Commercial training is a lot of fun, makes you a much more precise flier. I went that route, took the written, and scheduled the checkride. But because I have no aspirations of being paid to fly, I canceled. I heard if you hold a comm cert and something happens to bring you to the attention of the FAA, chances are you will be held to a higher standard then a pvt with a 3rd class.
Stuff happens. Why take the risk for no reward?

Do the training by all means, but think through getting the cert if flying for dollars isn't in the cards, imho.

You'll hear that alot, but I'm not sure that argument holds alot of water for Comm pilots;however, the CFI is a different story..

I recently completed my instrument rating. Everyone said it would make you a better pilot, and I agree 100%. I'm noticeably better than I was 12 months ago. I thought about pursuing the commercial rating if there was much to be gained from it. If it has little or no benefit for a non-commercial pilot, I'll quit thinking about it.

Please give me your 2 cents.

Yep, doin it because it keeps me in the game...

1) It's a good excuse to go flying.
2) You learn some stuff that you might otherwise not learn.
3) You get braggin' rights at the end.
What's not to like?

Re gliders, do it! You will learn even more interesting stuff than you will for the commercial, like how an airplane really flies andinteracts with the. air.

Back