Any military aviators on here?

Tanker posit? :D

Nauga,
with 5 wet.

haha actually had to hit a tanker a year ago during a Pacific whiskey area missile shoot (we were launching and recovering at NFL). It had been a good year at that point since I had done an AF big wing. I was pleasantly surprised at smoothly getting in my first try without any stabbing or mayhem with the basket. Like riding a bike. Where is your track? I might need to come visit :) (though I would have no idea how to do it in a boom receiver like a Viper…….I guess you just fly close form and hope for the best?)

Replace the USAF frame with a picture of kids being homeschooled or attending a Mormon church service, and that is about accurate :)

I don't know, I think it might be a pic of Evil in his younger days. What happens on TDY, stays on TDY. ;)

Thanks for all of your feedback. I talked to an Army recruiter yesterday actually. This is almost word for word how he explained warrant officers LOL :)

No prob. There's another little meme out that goes something like "junior enlisted look up to us, Sergeants Major hate us and commisioned officers don't know what to do with us." :D It's really not that far off the mark though.

Just to be clear, I'm not advocating going warrant over commission in other branches. I didn't fly in other branches so I speak from experience from flying in the Army. Branch choice will be something you'll have to make for yourself. For me it was more about the aircraft mission than branch. As a young man, my heros have always been military aviators that flew combat helicopters or fighters. Books like Chickenhawk, DUSTOFF, Thud Ridge and American Patriot were my influence. It's all I ever wanted to do.

Last edited:

“The reality is that pilots who don’t fly, maintainers who don’t maintain and controllers who don’t control are not going to stay with the company because we are not allowing them to be the very best they can be,” Goldfein said. “For me as a new chief, it’s about a balance between quality of service and quality of life. If the secretary can attack those both together, I’m confident we will be successful.”

I'm not in the Air Force but at least it sounds like their service chief knows whats up and is trying to do something to fix it. I'm more concerned with collateral duties and politics than I am about proficiency in my aircraft. That's not the way it should be, but that's how things are prioritized these days. Even though things may suck for them, Air Force bros still have it better than some people in other services.

20 years USAF. Most of those in F-16 Vipers with an assignment instructing in T-38s.

I recommend ROTC for a "real college" experience, and more freedom while at school, yet in the end you get a commission like every other cadet out there (if you pass all the tests and such of course).

The AF is hemmoraging pilots (and lots of fighter pilots especially) right now. It's a good time to get in if you qualify for a pilot slot and want to pursue that direction. However the quality of life is at an all time low (probably still better than the Marines :)) but the leadership is working to improve things and is at least listening a little to the needs of the commanders and guys flying the line too.

Here's and article I wrote about it recently. https://fightersweep.com/6192/usaf-pilot-retention-throwing-money-at-problems/
It's pretty rough, but is a solid view of the current state of affairs. Either way, don't let that dissuade you...go for your dreams!

20 years USAF. Most of those in F-16 Vipers with an assignment instructing in T-38s.

I recommend ROTC for a "real college" experience, and more freedom while at school, yet in the end you get a commission like every other cadet out there (if you pass all the tests and such of course).
That is the route my brother took, and what I'd recommend. You may even be able to extend and get a Master's before comissioning.

The AF is hemmoraging pilots (and lots of fighter pilots especially) right now. It's a good time to get in if you qualify for a pilot slot and want to pursue that direction. However the quality of life is at an all time low (probably still better than the Marines :)) but the leadership is working to improve things and is at least listening a little to the needs of the commanders and guys flying the line too.

Here's and article I wrote about it recently. https://fightersweep.com/6192/usaf-pilot-retention-throwing-money-at-problems/
It's pretty rough, but is a solid view of the current state of affairs. Either way, don't let that dissuade you...go for your dreams!

Great article. Read it several weeks ago. The only problem is, you're bringing up an issue that has always existed after war and there's little any commander can do.

The article highlights problems that just aren't germane to the AF, it's in all branches. Example, returning from Afghanistan, we were told the worst two things that any military pilot wants to hear; we don't have money for flying and we need to start using the simulator s more. All the old dudes called it "the 1990s Army." Translation, we won't be doing our war fighting tasks but instead be doing endless busy work. Only difference that I saw is unlike the 90s there really wasn't an exodus of pilots. We over recruited after 9/11 and now had to find some way of maintaining pilot currency in a battalion of too many pilots. Didn't help that they got rid of the OH-58, further creating a pilot over population.

As Shepard said, some "pray for war." It sucks but at least you get to do your job with very little BS. I remember sitting at my desk at my first duty station, working on one of my many additional duties. Not being on the schedule for another week, I looked at my bud and said "is this what you thought we'd be doing before we joined?" Less than a month later, 9/11 happened and solved the no flying problem.

I recommend ROTC for a "real college" experience, and more freedom while at school, yet in the end you get a commission like every other cadet out there (if you pass all the tests and such of course)

Thanks for your response, and your service.

I considered rotc before I had gone to college and actually had gotten a congressional nomination to West Point and naval academy (I was later rejected due to a misdiagnosis of psoriasis, which is being taken care of now).

I'll be graduating in May with a degree in finance and a degree in aviation. It'll be interesting to see what foreign relations look like with trump in office.

As someone mentioned, check the Coast Guard, as well. If you have a commercial ticket, and maybe a CFI, add a multi - I do know those can be a diffrentiator for applicants.

I'm late to the party and a lot has already been said, but I'm an active duty AH-64D/E commissioned officer and instructor pilot. Feel free to ask me anything specific.

I'm late to the party and a lot has already been said, but I'm an active duty AH-64D/E commissioned officer and instructor pilot. Feel free to ask me anything specific.

How much "weather" time can I expect each year if I go Guns?!

Oh, second question is, are all the Apache IPs as caring as this gentleman. I don't want to get yelled at in training. :D

Last edited:
I would talk to EVERY branch that flys, apply to all too. After that see what's offered. I would start right now. This would be for piloting positions, not a 'hope' that some year you can maybe get a slot.

How much "weather" time can I expect each year if I go Guns?!

Oh, second question is, are all the Apache IPs as caring as this gentleman. I don't want to get yelled at in training. :D

What is "weather" time....? Haha.

As for your second question, we are all caring. Some more than others. Personally, I like that there is a blast shield between us. You even get your own "runner upper dude."

What is "weather" time....? Haha.

As for your second question, we are all caring. Some more than others. Personally, I like that there is a blast shield between us. You even get your own "runner upper dude."

I vomit a little in my mouth each time I watch that vid. I hope you had nothing to do with producing that. :D

I would think with the capabilities of the E, you all would be getting more IFR time than in the D? Heard from a friend they're using iPads in Army now. Finally someone thinking outside the box. Thought they'd never get rid of paper!

I vomit a little in my mouth each time I watch that vid. I hope you had nothing to do with producing that. :D

I would think with the capabilities of the E, you all would be getting more IFR time than in the D? Heard from a friend they're using iPads in Army now. Finally someone thinking outside the box. Thought they'd never get rid of paper!

Disclaimer: I had NOTHING to do with that video.

The E is IFR and we do a little, but I was more just joking. I learned more about IFR ops flying my Arrow all over the country. As for the iPads that was just the 101st and it was a cluster**** We can chat about that offline if you want. We are in the process of finding an EFB type that the Army can use. I can almost promise it can't be an iPad.

Disclaimer: I had NOTHING to do with that video.

The E is IFR and we do a little, but I was more just joking. I learned more about IFR ops flying my Arrow all over the country. As for the iPads that was just the 101st and it was a cluster**** We can chat about that offline if you want. We are in the process of finding an EFB type that the Army can use. I can almost promise it can't be an iPad.

I was an early 64A Driver and since the 64 was sold as an all weather attack aircraft it was IFR certified and we could file as such with a single NDB and PAR in the area and did go into the clouds...some one figure out that Congress would never know that we removed that capability from the dash 10 in the early 90's...Attack guys and I was one for over 20 years basically are emergency IFR only...I think I logged around 50 hours in my career and that is probably double most gun guys...you can't shoot a Hellfire in the clouds...at least the versions I came across....

I was an early 64A Driver and since the 64 was sold as an all weather attack aircraft it was IFR certified and we could file as such with a single NDB and PAR in the area and did go into the clouds...some one figure out that Congress would never know that we removed that capability from the dash 10 in the early 90's...Attack guys and I was one for over 20 years basically are emergency IFR only...I think I logged around 50 hours in my career and that is probably double most gun guys...you can't shoot a Hellfire in the clouds.

You're right. According to 95-1 and the -10 the D model wasn't IFR qualified and it was considered an EP. You can't hunt and you can't shoot in the clouds. All my army weather time came in instruments. lol I have a lot more knowledge now that I can teach Army folks because of my civilian flying.

Does anyone have any connections with an active duty or former Marine Pilot?

Does anyone have any connections with an active duty or former Marine Pilot?

Art VD was a former Marine (Naval) Aviator. I believe NKTflyer is a current Harrier guy as well.

I did ATC in the Marines but I can't really give you any insight to their flight program. I made an effort for the Meritorious Commissioning Program back in the day but the written test shut me down.:(

Last edited:
Art VD was a former Marine (Naval) Aviator. I believe NKTflyer is a current Harrier guy as well.

I did ATC in the Marines but I can't really give you any insight to their flight program. I made an effort for the Meritorious Commissioning Program back in the day but the written test shut me down.:(

@NKTFlyer can I send you a message?

I cannot contribute anything of consequence here, but what a great thread.

Thanks to all here. Hope to meet you all some day (and yes, I've met one of you...).

Seriously! Thanks for everything guys.

@bigred177 is currently here at Columbus in AF pilot training. Ive met him and we have flown together, I know he can give you insight into the training process.

@bigred177 is currently here at Columbus in AF pilot training. Ive met him and we have flown together, I know he can give you insight into the training process.
Thank you! That's actually where I'm originally from. @bigred177 can I send you a message?

I visited Columbus often, nice airport, married a pilot who trained there. Love me the Golden Triangle.

I don't know, I think it might be a pic of Evil in his younger days. What happens on TDY, stays on TDY. ;)

Didn't see this before today.

Yes, that picture does ring a bell. Unless you are a congressperson (?) then no, absolutely not, I would never conduct myself in such a fashion.

Update to our hiring board - we had it last weekend and hired two guys. One is currently a trunk monkey in the strike eagle on active duty so he's transitioning to the ANG and the other guy is a civilian that has been out of college for about 18 months.

Your from Columbus, MS?? Nice, when did you leave?
Yeh! I flew out of 4i3 and 6cm a lot, so not necessarily columbus, but central ohio. Started going to college at quincy university (western IL) in 2013 after high school.

Yeh! I flew out of 4i3 and 6cm a lot, so not necessarily columbus, but central ohio. Started going to college at quincy university (western IL) in 2013 after high school.

Nope we are talking about Columbus Airforce base in Columbus Mississippi. We get confused alot with Ohio but trust me...different places.

Nope we are talking about Columbus Airforce base in Columbus Mississippi. We get confused alot with Ohio but trust me...different places.

Yup, Mississippi has delicous fried catfish!

Yup, Mississippi has delicous fried catfish!

For sure! One of our eaa member is a catfish farmer with a private grass strip. Every summer we have a meeting at his place and you guessed it, fresh fried catfish lunch! I'll let you know when it happens if you want to come on over. It's really good!!

Back