Any Midwesterners up for lunch on the 29 Feb?

Yeah, he commented on that too. We also called ApacheBob, but he wasn't able to make it.

I wish I was not running for political office. I really, really, really wanted to come.:rolleyes:

This thread is an excellent example of "things I love about POA!" Sounds like fun!

I didn't see this thread till now but I wouldn't have been able to make it anyway.

It's pretty cool that someone can post something like this with not much notice and still manage to gather a small crowd. :thumbsup:

Pete, you should have brought Kent along as a flight engineer!

I wish I was not running for political office. I really, really, really wanted to come.:rolleyes:
We would have loved to have you!

(I didn't mention the reason in case you were trying to keep it under wraps like Nick did.)

We had a great time. Pete wasn't able to make it due to electrical problems, but the rest of us enjoyed "R Place", only a couple miles down from the airport. Scott made friends with Mustafa, the airport cat.
Nice picture! You guys look like you had a good time. :) How cold was it?

Nice picture! You guys look like you had a good time. :) How cold was it?
Can't take any credit for the picture; we asked the airport worker (there's only one) to take it for us.

The temp wasn't too bad. In the 20's, IIRC.

The truck stop restaurant (R Place) was good (Thanks to Bruce for the recommendation). We stopped by there on the way back to the expressway to full up the cars ($2.79) and get some of their baked goods for desert that night.

The truck stop restaurant (R Place) was good

Gah... Next thing you guys are going to be getting the impression that truck stop food is good. :vomit: This place must be an anomaly! If I was still driving I'd have the money to fly but I'd have skipped out on the fly-in if you were going to a truck stop restaurant. ;) (Well, OK, I'd have gone but I probably wouldn't have eaten!)

Gah... Next thing you guys are going to be getting the impression that truck stop food is good. :vomit: This place must be an anomaly! If I was still driving I'd have the money to fly but I'd have skipped out on the fly-in if you were going to a truck stop restaurant. ;) (Well, OK, I'd have gone but I probably wouldn't have eaten!)
Well, I don't remember seeing many truckers there, but it was certainly loaded with locals, and there was a wait to get in. Fresh baked deserts. Karen's salad was HUGE and looked good!

Well, I don't remember seeing many truckers there, but it was certainly loaded with locals, and there was a wait to get in. Fresh baked deserts. Karen's salad was HUGE and looked good!

I think they're the exception rather than the rule - I have actually heard about that place from a friend of mine who's a trucker, he loves it. I've gone past there many times on my way to the Menards DC in Plano, but never stopped - Always in a hurry to drop my load at Plano and generally always headed either east into the city or north and west into WI from there.

Back