Any member here based out of FTY?

WannFly

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Priyo
Looking for some pireps around hangar situation and generally flying in and out of FTY.

I'm not hangared there, but the field is ideally located to be a major GA field for Atlanta. It isn't. The management doesn't give a rat's rear end about anything other than the corporate jets for Home Depot, Coke, etc.

There is plenty of space on the airfield for additional hangars in a market starved for hangars. They turned over a decent part of the property recently for the county animal shelter. That's what they think about the airport.

I think we have at least one member here who *was* based there and moved to PDK.

As another data point, Georgia Tech's flying club used to be based there. It moved to PDK too.

So... A pretty grim situation with long waiting lists and an unhelpful administration. If I was on the West side of town, I'd look at Stockmar.

I think I saw one of the FBO website advertising $400 or something like that for a full service heated hangar. There are some reasonable t hangars too, I would guess there is some years of waiting. I personally would prefer t hangar... but might have to take what I get. I will explore the airport you suggested. PDK hangar situation is even pathetic from what I can tell and I definitely want to avoid the drive from west side to PDK if I can. Ideally I need to be close to KATL and a GA airport . That might be asking for too much

I think I saw one of the FBO website advertising $400 or something like that for a full service heated hangar. There are some reasonable t hangars too, I would guess there is some years of waiting. I personally would prefer t hangar... but might have to take what I get. I will explore the airport you suggested. PDK hangar situation is even pathetic from what I can tell and I definitely want to avoid the drive from west side to PDK if I can. Ideally I need to be close to KATL and a GA airport . That might be asking for too much

$400 ain't bad for a full service, heated hangar. I know folks at KRYY who think $350/month is a real bargain for a 2 seat RV.

I would love to get a hangar there, too. That whole north side of the airport could accommodate a huge row of T-hangars, if they would just let it happen. I tried to drive by there via Sandy Creek Road, but they have that road blocked off.

I emailed the county a while back - no reply. I don't know who else to contact, other than the two FBOs, Signature and Hill. I hear there are a handful of T-hangars there, but I don't know who owns them.

Yeah, we pay way more than $400/month for a shared hangar at RYY. I wish I could talk the partners into PDK; we'd still have to be on a waiting list.

FTY would be great for me, but as others have already posted, they only want corporate jets/turboprops. :(

Is heat really necessary there? The low tonight in Atlanta is 8 degrees warmer than we normally set the thermostat in our hangar.

Is heat really necessary there? The low tonight in Atlanta is 8 degrees warmer than we normally set the thermostat in our hangar.

It was 20F overnight the other day. That's pretty chilly in my book. Certainly, we don't get more than a couple dozen nights that cold most years, but if you wanna fly early the next morning, you'd better have some way to warm the beast (or at least the engine). Most Winters, we have a few nights in the low teens, maybe single digits.

And I have seen it as cold as -8F in Atlanta. I think that was the same cold front that brought down the Challenger.

Back