Any logbook recommendations?

Get one with no column headings and provide your own. Too many pilots feel locked into whatever the headings printed in the logbook are....and there is no reason for such thinking.

Bob Gardner

Get one with no column headings and provide your own. Too many pilots feel locked into whatever the headings printed in the logbook are....and there is no reason for such thinking.

Bob Gardner

Do you happen to know who makes a logbook with no headings? My admittedly quick search didn't turn up anything. I've been considering making my own because i haven't found one laid out the way I'd like.

Bob Gardner

If I don't like their headings, I line through and make my own.

When I had to start a second logbook, I bought the big "Pro" model, after two pages I decided it was too much and picked up a much smaller "Standard" model, one step above "Student".

I keep my glider hours in a seperate logbook, I'm on my fifth one of those. Maybe I'll transition and Keepit all in one book.

Do you know what your piloting objective is? If you intend to fly part 121 or even 135 someday, you might want to track some time either for aeronautical experience (FAR) or to show the employer that you could care less about right now.
I use LogbookPro and like it. I still also keep logs on paper, because I'm old fashioned and paranoid, I guess. If you think you'd like electronic logs, which you can set up in many ways, the sooner you start the easier it is.
I like it for the ease of developing a history log (insurance app time, etc), for currency, and so forth.
I haven't really developed a sweet way of logging gliders because they traditionally count time in minutes rather than tenths of hours, but I do the conversion and put it in Logbook pro, also.
I'm not promoting or defending - just saying it works for me. The more you know about where you are going in aviation the better you'll be able to research and determine what log book will work for you.

I like the Jeppesen logbook, they do have 2 blank columns to use for whatever you like.
However they don't have alot of room for remarks though.
I didn't use to like the Gleim ones very much but have heard they have changed them recently and may have more of room for remarks.

Brian
CFIIG/ASEL

\__[Ô]__/;991235 said:
Do you happen to know who makes a logbook with no headings? My admittedly quick search didn't turn up anything. I've been considering making my own because i haven't found one laid out the way I'd like.

Keep in mind that I am a geezer. I have a Standard Master Pilot Log, published by the National Aircraft Parts Association in 1967, which has some headings but also some blank column headings (ASA still sells them), and an AP-6 Flight Record, published by Aero Products Corporation in 1956. No idea if they are still in business.

Bob

That's almost exactly like a new Sporty's log book. The cover is still the same, although the columns are slightly different.

The Sporty's book, by the way, is one of the few examples of a logbook sold by an online seller where you can actually view what the pages look like. Most other online stores just show you a photo of the cover of logbooks, which is pretty much useless because that's not what you write on.

I have the same problem, looking for a new logbook. I'm tempted to get one with no column heading for the reasons that Bob explained, but I keep thinking that it will be a pain in the @$$ labeling the columns every time I finish a page. :mad2:

Is it possible to order a custom logbook somewhere?

Do you know what your piloting objective is? If you intend to fly part 121 or even 135 someday, you might want to track some time either for aeronautical experience (FAR) or to show the employer that you could care less about right now.
I use LogbookPro and like it. I still also keep logs on paper, because I'm old fashioned and paranoid, I guess. If you think you'd like electronic logs, which you can set up in many ways, the sooner you start the easier it is.
I like it for the ease of developing a history log (insurance app time, etc), for currency, and so forth.
I haven't really developed a sweet way of logging gliders because they traditionally count time in minutes rather than tenths of hours, but I do the conversion and put it in Logbook pro, also.
I'm not promoting or defending - just saying it works for me. The more you know about where you are going in aviation the better you'll be able to research and determine what log book will work for you.

I use LogBook Pro also, I have been putting my glider time in buy using tenths instead of minutes. It is handy for tracking times for insurance, especially when you need time in make and model or updating the 8710 for the CFi renewal.

I also built an excel spreadsheet years ago, but I never built the pivot tables to extract specific data, just column totals. Seperate tabs for power and glider. I break it out to match the paper logbook pages for adding times in my paper logbook. Yes I still keep a traditional logbook.

I know a lot of folks use Logbook Pro. I wish I knew someone personally who did so I could get a demo; I don't know what $70 buys that free doesn't. I use myflightbook.com and am very happy with it.

I keep my glider hours in a seperate logbook, I'm on my fifth one of those. Maybe I'll transition and Keepit all in one book.
I am not where I need to do that yet, and my logbook has an unmarked column, where I write "glider". I decided that as long as the record is true and accurate, I don't need to follow pre-printed columns.

Last edited:
Does anyone know a logbook app for the ipad that will let you transfer everything to a computer and print?

I heard someone apps let you do that but I'm having troubled finding which once.

Does anyone know a logbook app for the ipad that will let you transfer everything to a computer and print?

I heard someone apps let you do that but I'm having troubled finding which once.

Several will do that. I just switched to Logbook Pro which has iPad, iPhone, and Android apps that sync to the Windows desktop version automatically. Works well and you always have all your stats with you when needed.

i ended up getting the mini logbook from sportys. i take it on flights instead of the standard logbook.

I dont see the benefit of buying a logbook app when you can do an excel logbook.

I keep the mini log book, pilots logbook, and an excel spreadaheet in my comp and google cloud.

i ended up getting the mini logbook from sportys. i take it on flights instead of the standard logbook.

I dont see the benefit of buying a logbook app when you can do an excel logbook.

I keep the mini log book, pilots logbook, and an excel spreadaheet in my comp and google cloud.

To get Excel to give me all the sliced and diced reports that I get out of my digital logbook would take me several man-months. For $69 it was worth it to let someone else create and maintain it.

I have always liked the jeppessen professional logbook..especially for my students when I taught.. Nice and simple but big enough for a long-haul..and hard to lose .if you have career aspirations start a digital logbook NOW...Its hell later

Last edited:
Several will do that. I just switched to Logbook Pro which has iPad, iPhone, and Android apps that sync to the Windows desktop version automatically. Works well and you always have all your stats with you when needed.

Are there are cheaper apps that let you do that? Think $70 is a bit too much for a logbook.

Is there anything that logbook apps let you do that you would not be able to do in excel?

There are several free apps for iPad and Android as well as some web-based apps. None were as good as Logbook Pro. Much can be done in Excel, but you can't do the slicing and dicing of the data in Excel that you can in a relational database. In aviation terms, $70 seems pretty cheap. An hour or two of avgas?

Log pro ten also gets great reviews...i know at work many guys have switched from logbookpro..supposedly much better on apple products

There are several free apps for iPad and Android as well as some web-based apps. None were as good as Logbook Pro. Much can be done in Excel, but you can't do the slicing and dicing of the data in Excel that you can in a relational database. In aviation terms, $70 seems pretty cheap. An hour or two of avgas?

I've been using paper logbooks all the time before so I'm kinda just used to it costing around $10. Now that I realized that I can just do it in excel for free I'd rather take the cheaper way out. It's not a problem paying $70, as you said compared to everything else in aviation it's cheap but if I can buy an extra hour of fuel for that money instead I'd rather do that.
Before I buy it I just want to be convinced that I'm not trading an hour of flight time for a fancy logbook, I want to believe that it's actually worth it.

I've been using paper logbooks all the time before so I'm kinda just used to it costing around $10. Now that I realized that I can just do it in excel for free I'd rather take the cheaper way out. It's not a problem paying $70, as you said compared to everything else in aviation it's cheap but if I can buy an extra hour of fuel for that money instead I'd rather do that.
Before I buy it I just want to be convinced that I'm not trading an hour of flight time for a fancy logbook, I want to believe that it's actually worth it.

My digital logbook is a duplicate/backup of my paper. I will never stop using paper-based logbooks. CFI's can't sign an Excel spreadsheet. But my paper logbook can't slice and dice all my hour totals in all the ways the 8710 wants them, so that's why I use a digital, as well.

So... When you all go from Private to Commercial.. Do you get a new logbook and track your dual given seperate from your pilot time? Or do you just through it all together?

I started messing around with zululog. It's free for the first 30 days, then they charge you. Its a pretty good site. I ended up exporting everything I put into as an excel spreadsheet, I use that as my primary logbook now.

So... When you all go from Private to Commercial.. Do you get a new logbook and track your dual given seperate from your pilot time? Or do you just through it all together?

I kept the same logbook until it was full, then went to a larger version. If you keep it concurrent with a digital one you can easily filter based on dates to get specifics for a particular rating, if needed.

My digital logbook is a duplicate/backup of my paper. I will never stop using paper-based logbooks. CFI's can't sign an Excel spreadsheet. But my paper logbook can't slice and dice all my hour totals in all the ways the 8710 wants them, so that's why I use a digital, as well.

Same here paper for life no matter what....log pro ten however allows CFI signatures with a finger on a iPhone/pad ..that's pretty neat

Back