Any LAS area pilots - help!

ErikU

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
ErikU
I was flying my Bonanza from Seattle to Las Vegas a couple days ago, and made a stop in Tonopah NV, which is in the middle of nowhere and has no services within a couple hundred miles. When I restarted to finish my flight, I found the right mag had failed! Through the help of a couple of great A&P's I was able to get a part and get it fixed. I had a very kind associate of mine pick us up in tonopah and drive us to Las Vegas, which took about 4 hrs. It's a 1 hr flight.

Now I need to figure out how to get from Las Vegas tomorrow back to tonopah so I can get my plane and fly home. I can't rent a car, because there is no drop off location. There is no bus service. And the local FBO's don't have any flight instructors available tomorrow to go with me in their plane!! What a hassle, and now I am really stuck.

Thought I would see if anyone in the area wants to fly to tonopah tomorrow. I'll buy gas, etc... and would be very, very greatful. I would even pay someone to drive us at this point... the car services want $700!

So,.. if you have room for three of us, and want to fly,... give me a call. 206-295-6765

-Erik

Erik-

Sorry I don't know anyone there, but have you tried flight schools at both North Las Vegas and Henderson?

HND:
Desert Southwest Airlines (D.S.A.)
(702) 263-9520
Sheble's Tri-State Aviation
(702) 263-4314

VGT:
West Air Aviation
702-639-6800

First Flight Aviation
702-647-4111

Hope this helps!

Jeff

ErikU said:
So,.. if you have room for three of us, and want to fly,... give me a call. 206-295-6765

-Erik

when you say 3 of you... are you stuck with 2 other people? Dont think the mooney can handle 4 people in this heat. But send me an email, I can always hop in the truck and give you guys a lift if needed.

Michael

Thanks for the info, I tried the flight schools, and either they don't have an aircraft available tomorrow, or they don't have an instructor available tomorrow. Pretty bad luck. I guess it's all part of the adventure of general aviation.

-Erik

ErikU said:
Thought I would see if anyone in the area wants to fly to tonopah tomorrow. I'll buy gas, etc... and would be very, very greatful. I would even pay someone to drive us at this point... the car services want $700!

-Erik

Erik,

If I wasn't out of town, I would have been able to give you a ride. You might want to try calling Jennifer or Annie at West Air (702-639-6800) in the morning to see if any of the planes opened up. I'm looking at the schedule online and see that Jason and Adam are free at noon. However, the only planes that are available at that time are the two new 182s.

Good Luck, Dan

ErikU said:
Thanks for the info, I tried the flight schools, and either they don't have an aircraft available tomorrow, or they don't have an instructor available tomorrow. Pretty bad luck. I guess it's all part of the adventure of general aviation.

They may simply have been reluctant to violate part 135 of the FAR's. Delivering three people to another airport as an "instructional" flight could get them in a world of hurt.

lancefisher said:
They may simply have been reluctant to violate part 135 of the FAR's. Delivering three people to another airport as an "instructional" flight could get them in a world of hurt.

No, this wouldn't violate the FARs w/r/t 135 operations so long as he is acting PIC, not the CFI, on the flight to Tonopah. The return flight for the instructor is basically a "ferry flight" that isn't 135 either.

Jeff

Jeff Oslick said:
No, this wouldn't violate the FARs w/r/t 135 operations so long as he is acting PIC, not the CFI, on the flight to Tonopah. The return flight for the instructor is basically a "ferry flight" that isn't 135 either.

Jeff

I could be wrong (like that never happens) but I'm pretty sure CFI's and FBO's have gotten in trouble for this very kind of thing before. Granted having one of the "passengers" do the actual flying (whether PIC qualified or not) seems to get around the rule, I think the FSDO would see a part 135 duck here.

If not then any flight school could sell transportation to any group that included a (wannabe?) pilot.

lancefisher said:
I think the FSDO would see a part 135 duck here.

First, Erik - hope you were able to get back to your plane!

Now, for the thread creep....:rolleyes: (How do you split threads again?)

In this case I don't see how it could be construed as Part 135. Provided the pilot is current in category and class & has the proper logbook endorsements (e.g., high perf, complex, as needed), the only "FAA" reason the commercial pilot is along is to ferry the plane home solo. The reason the "CFI" is needed is for insurance/FBO policies, not FAA rules. I agree that if this was sold as a "Discovery Flight" for a non-pilot, or some similar circumstance where the CFI was the only pilot current for the aircraft, then it could readily be interpreted as a 135 op.

Jeff

Jeff, I know of three flight schools in OK and two in TX that has gotten in trouble for this very thing. Luckily, the CFI just got his hand slapped in all occurances.

Brent

Brent Bradford said:
Jeff, I know of three flight schools in OK and two in TX that has gotten in trouble for this very thing. Luckily, the CFI just got his hand slapped in all occurances.

Brent

Ok, I'm too curious on this now - I'm going to start another thread on this in a better spot.

Jeff

Last edited:
A HUGE thanks to Michael Driggs who spent his entire day driving us to Tonopah. We were on our way back to Seattle within 15 minutes of getting there. Thanks also to the other offers of help and ideas. I really lucked out with great support from my home mechanic and the local mechanic too. There sure are some very cool people in aviation.

-Erik

Michael,

Too late now, but if this happens again and you have other people along, you might ask another pilot on the board if s/he can fly just YOU out to the outlying airport.... you fix your plane then fly the hour back to pick up your passengers. Might be easier to find a ride for one than a ride for 3 (a full four place, NV, etc...).

Have you made any more IFR flying videos? I've been watching for a new post with a nice video on it like the last one you made.

Troy

Back