Any insights into Crescent City (KCEC) or KBOK (Brookings)?

VWGhiaBob

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
VWGhiaBob
I was going to fly my Cirrus today from So Cal to KCEC (3.5 hrs), but wow...the wind...yesterday aggressive gust / crosswind conditions and more today...forecast 17 - 25kt 40 degree crosswind. Yesterday forecast was the same, but METAR was even worse. ForeFlight comments point out wind issues.

Not sure I’m up for a landing like that after 3.5 hours in the air.

KBOK looks better from a WX perspective, but short runway (for a Cirrus), lots of trees.

Any experience with these two airports? I need to make my go / no go decision soon.

Thanks, all!

I was going to fly my Cirrus today from So Cal to KCEC (3.5 hrs), but wow...the wind...yesterday aggressive gust / crosswind conditions and more today...forecast 17 - 25kt 40 degree crosswind. Yesterday forecast was the same, but METAR was even worse. ForeFlight comments point out wind issues.

KBOK looks better from a WX perspective, but short runway (for a Cirrus), lots of trees.

Any experience with these two airports? I need to make my go / no go decision soon.

Thanks, all!
Watch the airport slope at KBOK and plan accordingly. Also some downdrafts off the downhill end. Can also be real windy as it's the coast....

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
The CEC TAF is currently showing 34017G25KT for this afternoon. Although ATISes and AWOSes broadcast wind relative to magnetic north, METARs and TAFs report relative to true north. According to the sectional, that's a difference of 15 degrees at CEC, so the magnetic direction would be about 325 degrees, which would be a 26 degree crosswind relative to Rwy 30 (which is shown on the chart as having a 299 degree bearing).

Since you have a choice of Rwy 30 or 36 at CEC, even if the wind direction turns out somewhat different than forecast, you probably wouldn't have to deal with a crosswind greater than 30 degrees.

Last edited:

Thanks, all!

I think you’ve already answered your question. If you have to ask here, I’d say don’t. That being said, what’s your range, what are the forecasts within it.

Back