Any info on this Grumman??

Tman172

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Tman172
Been a member for a while, but this is my first time posting!

I’m thinking of checking out a 1991 Grumman Tiger, N191GC, to purchase.

Does anyone on here have any experience with this plane or know anything about it?

It used to belong to Kansas City flying club and is now based in Fort Lauderdale, Florida.

Don’t hold back any punches. Haha
I want to know!

I don’t......

Plenty of info freely available, and given, on AG5B’s - think OP is inquiring re this particular airframe.

Yes, this specific airframe. I already spoke with the owner about the overshoot. He said it didn’t even do any damage to the plane, so I’m not worried about that.

I suppose I’m more so concerned if anyone knew of any other damage or had personal experience with it during its time as a club plane.

Also, would anyone happen to be in the Ft Lauderdale area to check it out for me?

I’d be willing to pay $100 to give it an initial look for me.

Last edited:
What airport is it at? I might be able to get over there in the next few days.

Bob

Green and white with nearly a new engine and prop?

I wanna see what Bryan with a Y has to say about Grummans. ;)

This one is missing the V-tail that would qualfy it as the the only acceptable choice around these parts.

Now that I think about it, so is Bryan's. :eek: :D

It's a good looking Tiger! I think it had a few little damage dings in the log books but nothing bad. I'm based at LXT and it was sitting out here for a bit last summer. I'd walk over every so often to look at it. Haven't seen it around for a few months (might still be here in a hangar). The low prop and engine time were do to someone starting the plane with the tow bar still attached. Might want to verify that but its a nice plane!

You should also find out what its registration number was before it became N191GC and check for accident history under its previous number.

It's a good looking Tiger! I think it had a few little damage dings in the log books but nothing bad. I'm based at LXT and it was sitting out here for a bit last summer. I'd walk over every so often to look at it. Haven't seen it around for a few months (might still be here in a hangar). The low prop and engine time were do to someone starting the plane with the tow bar still attached. Might want to verify that but its a nice plane!

That’s good to hear! And I’ve talked to the current owner about that, and he told me about the starting incident. Supposedly no visible damage was done to the plane, but their insurance company required a rebuild.

You should also find out what its registration number was before it became N191GC and check for accident history under its previous number.
It used to be 621FT. Minor damage. It lost a brake and taxied into another plane

Also, would anyone happen to be in the Ft Lauderdale area to check it out for me?

I’d be willing to pay $100 to give it an initial look for me.
After you get that done and a 'looks ok to me,' get a real Prebuy. A real one, from a known Grumman expert

It's a fantastic bird. I had a buddy who was a member over there, and I've been in the right seat a couple times. Well rigged, well equipped, and lots of nice upgrades in the panel. From what I've seen on Controller, Trade-a-Plane, etc., it's one of the nicer Tigers around. They were asking about $90k for it which is on the high side of other Tigers I've seen and the club was sad to see it go.

Then change your user name to TmanAA5.

Where would that place him against eman1200? :confused:

The "t" definitely comes after "e". But them maybe the Cap "T" bumps it ahead of lower case? And that double "AA" should place well compared to a mere 4 digit number. Non? ;)
Just wonderin'

That’s good to hear! And I’ve talked to the current owner about that, and he told me about the starting incident. Supposedly no visible damage was done to the plane, but their insurance company required a rebuild.
Not exactly. I was negotiating to buy that plane when the prop strike occurred. The president of the flying club took off for a demonstration flight with the tow bar still attached. He called me after the incident to tell me the news. He told me the prop was bent and they were going to do a prop-strike tear down. Guess it turned into an overhaul. It was a nice plane but IIC, there had been some significant work to the Aircraft. It goes without saying, review the logs carefully and get a good pre-buy from some who knows Grummans. BTW, I bought a 91 a Tiger few months after the incident. They are great planes

Not exactly. I was negotiating to buy that plane when the prop strike occurred. The president of the flying club took off for a demonstration flight with the tow bar still attached. He called me after the incident to tell me the news. He told me the prop was bent and they were going to do a prop-strike tear down. Guess it turned into an overhaul. It was a nice plane but IIC, there had been some significant work to the Aircraft. It goes without saying, review the logs carefully and get a good pre-buy from some who knows Grummans. BTW, I bought a 91 a Tiger few months after the incident. They are great planes

Wow, I had no idea. I last flew in that plane in 2015...

Thanks for the info! I'm still waiting to receive the logbooks to have them looked through, but that does make me want to not get my heart set on this one if it doesn't all check out after the repair.
I've been shopping for almost a year, so I don't mind waiting a little longer if I need to.

Thanks for the info! I'm still waiting to receive the logbooks to have them looked through, but that does make me want to not get my heart set on this one if it doesn't all check out after the repair.
I've been shopping for almost a year, so I don't mind waiting a little longer if I need to.
I was shopping for AA5's a few years ago. http://www.fletchair.com/ These guys are the Gurus of Grumman. I called and they took the time to talk with me about things Grumman. They even knew one of the planes I was considering. I wouldn't be surprised if they will know of an A&P close to where this airplane is to recommend for a Prebuy. Here's a couple more links. http://www.grumman.net/ http://www.grummanpilotsassociation.com/ Lots of good info. As I recall, a thing that is popping up with AA5's is wing spar corrosion. It can be inspected without taking the airplane apart. I don't remember if it's an issue with the American Generals or just the older ones. Anyway, get educated and make sure whoever does your Prebuy 'knows' Grummans. Hope it's a good plane and all works out for you.

Back