Any info on hangars at KAPA (Centennial)?

LoneAspen

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
LoneAspen
Ok, let me preface this by saying this is probably just a pipe dream at this point, but in the interest of research and gathering more info...

Rather than continuing to rent SR20s (or later, SR22s) as I continue my training and flying, I've given some thought to maybe looking into an older G1000 equipped (2009 and newer I think?) SR22T. Aside from the obvious cost of the plane, insurance, maintenance, and CAPS repacks, I'd need to hangar it somewhere. I really like being based out of Centennial and wouldn't want to switch airports. I also live about 30 minutes west of Denver proper, so being way out east/SE somewhere like KFTG Front Range or KLIC Limon wouldn't appeal to me. I'd want to stay at Centennial.

But my gut tells me hangar space at Centennial is either nonexistant, or so expensive I couldn't justify it. I was wondering if anybody had some more concrete and current info on hangar availability and cost at Centennial? I've done some searches, but not finding much except some companies renting larger hangars (for corporate jets I guess). I'm not finding much info online for hangar availability for GA planes like Cirrus, etc.

Again, this isn't something I'm looking at doing in the near term. Just curious if hangar space at KAPA is so rare or expensive that I shouldn't count on it being an option if/when the time comes that I'm looking for where to hangar a plane?

Thanks!

I wouldn't count on finding hangar space there. With the recent boom of CO, it's become impossible to find anything on the front range and I searched for months. Even Greeley has a long wait list. When I lived in foco I hangared up in Cheyenne and had I moved further south probably would have left it there. I know BJC has a 10 year wait list and I'm sure the trip of Boulder, Longmont and Erie aren't any better.

I see you're currently in Evergreen, I grew up there! For me it was the same drive time to BJC as it was APA so I elected to fly out of BJC.

Shared space in a community hangar was $750 when I was looking last summer. A carport is running about $275-320. Call JetCenter for lastest pricing and who has hangar space. I live 5 miles from KAPA and hangar at FTG. There are a number of people who live west of Denver who hangar at FTG for this reason. You mightbe able to buy one of the port-a-ports wood hangars on the SE side but even those are going high priced in the 5 figures.

I can’t speak for all airports but I know where I’m at there is about a 5-6 year list. I also know that if you know the “right” guy, things can happen sometimes very quickly.

I live 10min from APA and hangar at FTG. APA has always been expensive (location, location, location). The Jet Center recently did not renew the ground lease for a some old hangars. They leased back the hangars to the old tenants on month to month basis. They said they have plans to do something in 3 years. Those pilots are going to be looking elsewhere for space so the competition for hangars is going to increase. Their are long lines for hangars at all the metro relievers. If you have interest in construction you might want to lease some land at FTG and build some. Warning a tee hangar project at FTG has been trying to get off the ground for months. All units have been spoken for but builders can find workers who will drive that far to put the buildings up.

Thanks for the replies, everybody. Sounds like any future plans for me to get my own plane would be in doubt, considering the hangar situation in the Denver area. Had no idea there were waiting lists that were years long.

If I were in construction, I'd be very tempted to start such a project. But the only thing I build is software. I leave the physical construction up to the pros because everything I touch, I break.

I imagine this puts a real damper on people buying airplanes if they can't hangar them somewhere. Too bad there isn't some group or co-op (of pilots maybe?) going in to build more hangar space for the community. But I guess the capital outlay is just too much compared to the ROI?

KFLY (Meadowlake near COS) has PLENTY of hangars...BUT a very high number are filled with woodshops, locksmith shops, derilict cars, trucks, household junk, etc. BECAUSE there is no single FBO and all the hangars are individually owned with ABSOLUTELY NO controls as to what the owner can do with them. The cost of storage units in town is higher than hangar owners charge hence all the junk and non-airplane stuff taking up valuable hangar space. So DON'T come here!!

We would consider sharing space at KBJC but you would have to throw in a hot tub and a foosball table. We already have the projector, 10' movie screen and loft.

Yup. Every week I muse about upgrading, but the notion of doubling, let alone tripling my capital costs, to have to endure my current "storage situation" is a complete non-stater. Honestly, I remain in the avocation in the capacity I do only because my airplane is cosmetically disposable and I have very little invested in capital for the performance I get. Otherwise no way. I do find that reality very discouraging and frustrating. I imagine things are even worse in the more metropolitan locations across the country, where the money required enduring participation in the hobby continues to hyper-concentrate to in the first place. Catch-22 for the hobby.

The tie-downs at KAPA are more per month than I pay in annual dues at the private field where I'm based, but I had to move 1900 miles from Denver to make that happen. Owning our airplane, and being able to see it from the kitchen, the office, the spare bedroom, and yes- even the shower! makes it worth the move. Trust me. I loved flying in/out of Centennial, and we lived in Centennial for 13 years, but we’re soooooo much better off here. Colorado got ridiculously overpriced in a hurry. We chose to cash out and live next to a runway where I grew up.

Yep - I know all about moving from an insanely expensive place to a more affordable one, but in my case it was moving from Silicon Valley (where I'd worked on a couple different occasions for a total of almost 20 years, but never bought a house) back to Colorado which is where I really consider home. I'd always wanted to move back to the Rockies and the mountains, and finally got back a little over a year ago. I even put off starting flight training until I moved back, because I didn't really want to learn in the Bay Area since I already knew I had mentally checked out of the place.

If I'd been smart, I would have bought a house in the early 2000's when I first moved there. But I thought housing was insane even back then. No way could I justify those kind of prices for an average home. Oh well, shows how much I know.

I love being back, and will probably never leave, but it is different than when I moved here the first time in the early 90's. Typical stuff- more people, more congestion, higher home prices, etc. But I love it. I've just got to find a way to make the aviation dream stay alive. Worst case, I keep renting. Best case, I find some nice person who will rent me a hangar at KAPA for $500 a month. Hey, I can dream, can't I? :)

KFLY (Meadowlake near COS) has PLENTY of hangars...BUT a very high number are filled with woodshops, locksmith shops, derilict cars, trucks, household junk, etc. BECAUSE there is no single FBO and all the hangars are individually owned with ABSOLUTELY NO controls as to what the owner can do with them. The cost of storage units in town is higher than hangar owners charge hence all the junk and non-airplane stuff taking up valuable hangar space. So DON'T come here!!

We would consider sharing space at KBJC but you would have to throw in a hot tub and a foosball table. We already have the projector, 10' movie screen and loft.

I guess having an airplane isn't high on the preferred attributes for airport space these days. :rolleyes:

I got a coworker who moved into an airpark home with hangar, sunk a new in ground pool and all the rest. Got his parents moving to the lot next door to have daycare built in pretty much. Neither owns an airplane. How you like them apples..can't make that up lol.

Conversely, im out here pulling weeds out the way so i can pull my airplane without throwing my back (can't really keep a tug or tools in a carport), and playing olympic slalom over prop damage due to gravel and potholes in the access to the sheds. Mind you I'm the only mother--- out there on skid row getting gas and adding counts for the tower when the winds are higher than 10 knots around here it seems. It just feels uninviting as hell. I put up with it because I do have a good time with my family when we whisk away for a weekend on the magic carpet, and i can get to the airplane in 15 minutes. But it's hard to have any pride in it or sink any extra money than that legally necessary (paint sure as heck doesnt qualify in my book under these conditions) when they got you parked in a ditch like a stray dog, and those hangar doors never open. But I'm preaching to the choir so I digress.

KFNL Land lease plus condo fees are 200 a month. Then heat (gas) if you use it. Add the hangar. Small T I could probably get 80,000. I couldn't rent for 500.

Back