Any "gotchas" I need to know for my Comm ride?

No tricks, just expectations.

:)

I was solid until I dorked my Lazy 8. he asked me if I wanted to try it again. I did, he grunted, on to 8s on pylons!

It was the easiest checkride of all, and the most fun. It really helped me get comfortable maneuvering close to the ground (an essential skill to fly an antique, underpowered, lightweight Chief).

It's all about precision control and mastery of the airplane. This is not the ride to have the ball bouncing off the ends of the tube, or the altimiter to be oscillating like the pendulum of a grandfather clock. You need to show that you can put the plane exactly where you want it and keep it there.

So, no particular "gotchas" -- just being very good at everything you do.

BTW, Dan's "redo" on the Lazy 8 is not usually allowed. Examiners are not supposed to give second chances on maneuvers unless the maneuver was terminated for safety (e.g., another plane flying into the space you were using). So on this ride, you need to be very good at everything you do the first time you do it.

Don't interrupt if the DPE is talking. Especially on the oral. For my commercial ride, the DPE pretty much did all the talking on the oral.

I botched my 180 power off landing... However I had practiced 3 of them right before going in for the oral. The DPE was standing on the ramp with another applicant while I did the 3 practices which all were fine - the TPA was 800 feet instead of the 1000 feet that I was used too, hence the practices. Anyway, when I messed up I was sure that was it but he let me off on it, I let it go and kept flying for the next couple of maneuvers. When I asked him, after it was finished and I had my paper in hand, why he let me off he told me: Part of it was that he saw me do the other 3, part of it was that he already knew me from my instrument ride and he knew that I'd go home and knock out 20of them again till it was perfect or at least close.

There were no tricks... Like the others said... I think a good bit of it will be to just be confident and enjoy yourself too. You are a rated pilot sharing time in a plane with another pilot. Instead of thinking "test" you might try thinking: hey look what cool things you can do in this plane. IMO attitude counts for some of it too.

You are a rated pilot sharing time in a plane with another pilot. Instead of thinking "test" you might try thinking: hey look what cool things you can do in this plane. IMO attitude counts for some of it too.

That sounds like a great tip. Time is approaching when I am ready for my private checkride, and this sort of attitude will help.

One of the things that my DPE complimented me on was during the oral. He asked the question 'what does a commercial rating allow you to do as a pilot.' My answer was "get paid." He was so happy that I said that, he asks that question of everyone and has never gotten such a simple, direct and correct answer. He hated the long list of jobs that one would spew forth and discussions about part 135 vs 121 operations. He was just looking for the basic answer.

When the flying came all he really wanted to make sure of was that I was truly in control of the plane, was smooth and direct in my control and knew why I was doing something. He slept on the return to the airport, I knew I had passed.

I botched my 180 power off landing... However I had practiced 3 of them right before going in for the oral. The DPE was standing on the ramp with another applicant while I did the 3 practices which all were fine - the TPA was 800 feet instead of the 1000 feet that I was used too, hence the practices. Anyway, when I messed up I was sure that was it but he let me off on it,
That's unusual, so don't nobody go counting on a "mulligan."

I let it go and kept flying for the next couple of maneuvers.
If the ride continues without comment, you can stop worrying, because the examiner is not allowed to let the test continue after a task is failed without telling the applicant of the failure.

When I asked him, after it was finished and I had my paper in hand,
That's the time to open your mouth.

It's all about precision control and mastery of the airplane. This is not the ride to have the ball bouncing off the ends of the tube, or the altimiter to be oscillating like the pendulum of a grandfather clock. You need to show that you can put the plane exactly where you want it and keep it there.

So, no particular "gotchas" -- just being very good at everything you do.

BTW, Dan's "redo" on the Lazy 8 is not usually allowed. Examiners are not supposed to give second chances on maneuvers unless the maneuver was terminated for safety (e.g., another plane flying into the space you were using). So on this ride, you need to be very good at everything you do the first time you do it.

I got a re-do on my private pilot ride. She asked for a short field takeoff. I forgot to hold the brakes. I also dropped the stopwatch when I was timing my checkpoints and I was allowed to miss one.

Nailed everything else though.. actually some of the best landings I have ever made. I would have won a contest.

I was told that the "no-redo" rules are just there so that the DPE can fail an applicant they do not deem fit for the rating with no questions asked. My DPE actually said that she could have failed me for both of my slip-ups but that she passed regardless because I demonstrated excellent mastery of the aircraft.

I do think that because of my errors in the beginning of the checkride, she made it a little harder for me. She had me do several unusual attitude recoveries under the hood. My instructor has sent many students to this particurlar DPE and said he has never heard of her doing that.

Last edited:

The DPE is there to exercise judgement. My oral was a breeze and everything else was spot on.

It wasn't a redo -- he simply asked me if I wanted to do it again. There is a difference.

It wasn't a redo -- he simply asked me if I wanted to do it again. There is a difference.
A fine point, but a technically valid one. FWIW, I think somewhere along the line on one of my dozen or so practical tests I did a maneuver rather poorly I thought, and before the examiner said anything, I said, "That stunk [explanation of what I did wrong] -- let me show you how to do it right." The examiner said nothing except to tell me the next maneuver after I did it (right) the second time.

If he does not ask for a specific maneuver, don't volunteer it.
We had gone through the entire check ride and was headed home and I was thinking, Great, no pylon 8s. And then he remembered, he asked, I set up the maneuver, 90 degrees into the maneuver, I called the correction needed and started to apply the correction. He said he had seen enough and I could terminate the maneuver and take him home.

Considering the existence of the PTS, any gotchas are likely to dependent upon the examiner you have.

Be ready for an "engine failure" at the worst moment. Mine was at the lowest point during my eights on pylons. After a few seconds of desperately searching for a field I found a golf course and set up on a nice right base for a fairway. The recommendation to have emergency landing sites picked out before you start is good advice for many obvious reasons.

The recommendation to have emergency landing sites picked out before you start is good advice for many obvious reasons.

Do you mean "pick out an emergency landing field before you start the maneuver" ?

I was looking from takeoff to touchdown and everywhere in between (my DPE was in Elkins, WV). You can Google Earth the area but you likely won't know what heading you'll be flying away from the departure airport.

A few months later with the same DPE for the IR I had the hood on from the time I straightened the airplane on the runway (simulated 0/0 takeoff) until about 400' AGL on final. No looking for emergency landing fields on that ride.

Every checkride has gotchas, but the comm SE and me had to be the easiest rides I took.

Just let the DPE teach you something, don't be a know it all..

You'll be fine..

A few months later with the same DPE for the IR I had the hood on from the time I straightened the airplane on the runway (simulated 0/0 takeoff) until about 400' AGL on final. No looking for emergency landing fields on that ride.

I'm still astonished that this is going on. Can anyone here provide a compelling argument for a 0/0 takeoff unless you're being paid for it and have much better equipment than many/most of the little spam cans we fly? If it's merely to demonstrate I can keep a straight line down the runway, to me, that's bogus.

I'm still astonished that this is going on. Can anyone here provide a compelling argument for a 0/0 takeoff unless you're being paid for it and have much better equipment than many/most of the little spam cans we fly? If it's merely to demonstrate I can keep a straight line down the runway, to me, that's bogus.

I did a 0/0 on my ride, but from the examiners I know, this is more of a learning experience/confidence builder than a bustable item..

It's not a PTS requirement, but I think it helps give the DPE a very quick assessment of the upcoming quality of the ride...

Though, I think a simulated 0/0 is a whole lot easier than a TO into 1/4 vis, 200' CLG.

I agree, and had anything gone wrong on Dan's test and metal had been bent, that would probably have been that DPE's last ride as an examiner. It's not in the IR PTS, and doing things not in the PTS is a good way to lose your designation if something goes wrong.
The examiner must conduct the practical test in accordance with the appropriate regulations, PTS, operating limitations of the aircraft, and procedures prescribed in the Aircraft Flight Manual (AFM). Examiners must not use, or ask the applicant to use, procedures contrary to those specified by the AFM. Under no circumstances may an examiner intentionally allow an applicant to violate a regulation, fail to comply with an air traffic control (ATC) clearance, or create a potentially hazardous situation. Practical tests not conducted in accordance with the applicable PTS, regulations, and safe operating practices may be invalid and may be grounds for termination of the examiner’s designation.
Even the ATP Instrument Takeoff Task doesn't require the hood to be on until reaching 100 AGL.

Last edited:
Back