Any good tips or trick for sealing out air leaks on an aluminum bodied experimental?

Aaron H

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Aaron
Hi all,

Have a couple of smaller air leaks.
The inspection panel at wing roots that cover the leading edge (the skin isnt perfectly sealed, it is a tiny bit wavey in between the screws. Im only worried about this if I left it out over night in the rain), a 1/4 inch by 5 inch right at the 90 where the landing gear is, and on the back side of the landing gear, 1/2 inch by 3/4. (These 2 are letting some exhaust gas in during takeoff I think)

The landing gear was replaced with a grove and it's a touch smaller in a couple spots, hence the gaps.

I was thinking some weather stripping on the inside then taping it up on the outside a some white silicone same as the paint?

I'm new to ownership and was looking to see what you all would do.

Any help would be appreciated!
Thanks in advance
Aaron

Spray-in foam from Home Depot?

Great Stuff.

Spray-in foam from Home Depot?

Great Stuff.

That stuff has been accused of causing corrosion issues.

If I was the OP, I'd make a couple of cardboard templates that fit the gap(s) and transfer those to aluminum. Cut out the aluminum and pop rivet (or screw and nutplate it) to the airframe, taking care to only put holes in safe places, maintaining edge distances, etc.

For the leading edge panel, form a gasket in place by removing the panel, putting down some wax paper (or electrical tape) on the airframe where the gaps form, then squirt RTV on the area and attach the panel. Once the RTV cures, pull the panel, remove the tape or wax paper, and you should have a custom fitted gasket that is stuck to the access panel and will keep moisture out.

Back