Any good pizza sauce recipes?

SixPapaCharlie

May the force be with you
Display Name

Display name:
Sixer
I like pizzas w/ extra sauce.
I order them that way. I like to make pizza at home but any jar sauce is terrible.

I'm not sure I that know the difference between marinara sauce and pizza sauce. At restaurants sometimes I will ask for an extra side and they always bring marinara sauce and I don't like the way it tastes. I like the sauce they actually put on the pizza. Anyone have a good recipe for that?

I use whole, peeled, canned San Marzano or other high quality Italian tomatoes. Crush by hand or use an immersion blender. Add sea or kosher salt to taste. Maybe a lug or two of olive oil.

Dont pre-cook. The sauce cooks on the pizza. Spread on the dough and then push some whole fresh basil leaves down into the sauce a bit so the leaves don't burn. Add your fresh mozzarella and cook at high temp.

This is a pizza margherita style and my favorite "pizza sauce". it is simple, fresh, and allows the tomato flavor to shine. I don't know how well it would work on pre cooked or commercial style crust. I've only used it when making pizza from scratch on fresh dough.

I'll let you in on a secret and you can't tell anyone. Whatever pizza sauce you settle on, BURN some butter then stir the sauce into it.

And sphagetti, burn the butter then stir the pasta into it right after draining it.

Shhhhhh, this is an ancient Greek/Italian secret my wife will kill both of us if it get's out. ;)

I'll let you in on a secret and you can't tell anyone. Whatever pizza sauce you settle on, BURN some butter then stir the sauce into it.

And sphagetti, burn the butter then stir the pasta into it right after draining it.

Shhhhhh, this is an ancient Greek/Italian secret my wife will kill both of us if it get's out. ;)

Sounds interesting. I am going to try this.

I use whole, peeled, canned San Marzano or other high quality Italian tomatoes. Crush by hand or use an immersion blender. Add sea or kosher salt to taste. Maybe a lug or two of olive oil.

Dont pre-cook. The sauce cooks on the pizza. Spread on the dough and then push some whole fresh basil leaves down into the sauce a bit so the leaves don't burn. Add your fresh mozzarella and cook at high temp.

This is a pizza margherita style and my favorite "pizza sauce". it is simple, fresh, and allows the tomato flavor to shine. I don't know how well it would work on pre cooked or commercial style crust. I've only used it when making pizza from scratch on fresh dough.

I am also going to try this. I am growing tomatoes and Basil in my garden.

I am also going to try this. I am growing tomatoes and Basil in my garden.

Using fresh tomatoes will likely require a different preparation method. Canned tomatoes are soft. They have gone through one initial heating process during the canning. Fresh tomatoes taste lovely but aren't quite what we are used to on a pizza. For a pizza sauce, a high quality canned Italian tomato might be a better option.

But if you do try the fresh tomatoes, perhaps some sort of blanching or boiling process will help soften the tomatoes so you can peel them and then work with to crush or blend into a sauce. In either case, you may end up needing to strain some water or liquid off.

I am a simplistic guy......

The crust is made in my bread machine from scratch.... Sauce is Ragu with mushrooms, add a small can of sliced mushrooms, pepperroni on top of ALOT of shredded pizza cheese. Topped off with a tin or two of Anchovies........ YUMMY.....:yes::):):)

I don't think I could regress to Ragu after tasting the sauce of a good, NY style brick oven pizza. :)

I also make a quick BBQ chicken pizza. I use Mama Mary's thin crust prepared pizza crust. I spread on some olive oil, a sprinkling of salt, a thin layer of bulls eye barbecue sauce, cut up rotisserie chicken, chopped cilantro, and topped with shredded mozzarella cheese. Bake at 425 or so until the edges are browning.

In this case the barbecue sauce serves as the pizza sauce. This is a quick and easy recipe, I do two at a time and the kids love it.

I also make a quick BBQ chicken pizza. I use Mama Mary's thin crust prepared pizza crust. I spread on some olive oil, a sprinkling of salt, a thin layer of bulls eye barbecue sauce, cut up rotisserie chicken, chopped cilantro, and topped with shredded mozzarella cheese. Bake at 425 or so until the edges are browning.

In this case the barbecue sauce serves as the pizza sauce. This is a quick and easy recipe, I do two at a time and the kids love it.

Sometimes when I am really drunk, I come up w/ experiments like this as well. :goofy:

A lot of it has to do with individual taste, but a basic pizza sauce recipe would be something along these lines:

Heat some olive oil in a saucepan (appropriately enough). Not too hot! Add some salt, pepper, a whole bay leaf, and fresh basil, parsley, and oregano. Let the oil sort of steep the herbs for a few minutes. Don't burn them! You can add some crushed garlic, too, if you like.

Next, add some crushed tomatoes (I personally like Tuttorosso or Furmano) half again as much water, and some red wine, and stir it in. Gradually bring it to a slow boil, and then turn it down and let it simmer and reduce for a while.

Remove the bay leaf, and you're good to go. It's really not too different from a typical marinara.

Rich

Del Monte Traditional Spaghetti sauce is not bad. I like to bust open a can to dip my Pizza in. Something else is Ranch dressing mixed with Picante to dip Pizza into :)

A lot of it has to do with individual taste, but a basic pizza sauce recipe would be something along these lines:

Heat some olive oil in a saucepan (appropriately enough). Not too hot! Add some salt, pepper, a whole bay leaf, and fresh basil, parsley, and oregano. Let the oil sort of steep the herbs for a few minutes. Don't burn them! You can add some crushed garlic, too, if you like.

Next, add some crushed tomatoes (I personally like Tuttorosso or Furmano) half again as much water, and some red wine, and stir it in. Gradually bring it to a slow boil, and then turn it down and let it simmer and reduce for a while.

Remove the bay leaf, and you're good to go. It's really not too different from a typical marinara.

Rich

I hope to one day meet you.

ROTFLMAO @ "Sparow-Fart NY"

I hope to one day meet you.

ROTFLMAO @ "Sparow-Fart NY"

Let me know in advance so I can cook something decent. Today was just a quickie because I was here alone and had some work to do: sausage, peppers, and onions.

CFOs8RsW0AAowFG.jpg

Sparrow Fart isn't quite the middle of nowhere, but it's within walking distance.

Rich

The out of the can stuff is just to dip Pizza into. Here is mine from last week. We need to have a Spaghetti cook off Hillbilly. Lots of onion, bell pepper, mushrooms, squash and oregano in mine.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 7
Last edited:
Back