Any good pizza dough recipes?

poadeleted21

Touchdown! Greaser!
Mine sucks. I use bread flower, water, instant yeast, sugar, salt and some olive oil. But it never turns out any good.... I'm open to suggestions.

I know, boboli sux, but it sounded like the best response to your post. say it ten times fast, 'boboli boboli boboli....' see, its fun! might taste like sht but sure rolls off the tongue!

Mine sucks. I use bread flower, water, instant yeast, sugar, salt and some olive oil. But it never turns out any good.... I'm open to suggestions.

That's the basic pizza dough recipe. What do you not like about the outcome?

Rich

That's the basic pizza dough recipe. What do you not like about the outcome?

Rich

Agreed....

That is my recipe, been using it for 20 years.... VERY happy...:)

Edit..... I substitute garlic salt for plain salt....

I've used this with good results:
http://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/mario-batalis-pizza-dough

He specifies a particular kind of flour though. And be careful about adding too much salt. I just use regular all purpose flour because I never remwmber to get 00 flour.

This recipe makes a bunch of 10" crusts that you precook on a cast iron skillet (both sides). Freeze what you don't use. Once they are precooked, you just top them and toss them in a hot oven - similar to boboli. This is a commercial kitchen recipe, so make ahead is a big deal.

If you make a couple of large crusts instead of a bunch of small ones, cut the salt in half.

I usually brush on some olive oil and add a little garlic powder before I put the sauce and toppings on.

Last edited:
Varasanos's, if you want to really dive in. I've used a simple no knead dough for pizza but it's not the best, and I've had trouble getting done the top center of the crust.

I use these proportions:

1 pkg yeast (there's a special pizza dough yeast that works well)
1 1/3 cups warm water
1 3/4 cups white bread flour
1 3/4 cups whole wheat bread flour
2 Tbsp olive oil
1 Tbsp sugar
1 tsp salt

It's always worked well for me for any kind of pizza.

Rich

I use the Father Dominic (the bread monk) pizza dough recipe. Always good.

Well, the dough turned out great. I put the oven on 550 and precooked the dough for 2 minutes. That seemed to be the key. Oh and I also put the dough ball in a warming drawer for 45 minutes. The downside is that the dough was the only edible part. I bought this nastiness because it was name brand and on sale. Velveeta mozzarella "flavored" cheese shreds.

http://reviews.walmart.com/1336/321...vor-velveeta-shreds-32-oz-reviews/reviews.htm

Instantly went into the garbage. That crap is naaassssttyyy.

Well, the dough turned out great. I put the oven on 550 and precooked the dough for 2 minutes. That seemed to be the key. Oh and I also put the dough ball in a warming drawer for 45 minutes.

The "precooking" step is standard procedure for Sicilian-style and other pizzas with thicker crusts. It's usually skipped for Neapolitan-style and other thin crusts, which also explains why the exact same ingredients taste so different depending on how the bread part is cooked.

During the precooking step, what happened were that the yeast, knowing they were about to die, threw a party that resulted in something called "oven spring," or a last bit of rise that occurs at the same time the gluten matrix is finalizing. The CO2 and ethanol the yeast produce expand at a rapid rate during this process. This "inflates" the bread while the gluten matrix is finalizing, resulting in a bread with a nice, open texture, but which is firm enough to hold the weight of the toppings without collapsing.

Neapolitan-style pizza omits that step, and the pizza is cooked directly on the oven floor, not in a pan, in an actual pizza oven. This (along with some chemical reactions between the sauce and the bread) prevents both "oven spring" and Maillard reactions (basically, the browning of the crust) where the toppings cover the dough, and limits the browning to the bottom and the edges of the pizza. This gives it its characteristically thin crust and ability to be folded.

The downside is that the dough was the only edible part. I bought this nastiness because it was name brand and on sale. Velveeta mozzarella "flavored" cheese shreds.

http://reviews.walmart.com/1336/321...vor-velveeta-shreds-32-oz-reviews/reviews.htm

Instantly went into the garbage. That crap is naaassssttyyy.

It must be if even discriminating Walmart shoppers unanimously panned it.

Rich

I used to make my own pizza dough, back when I could eat it. A common rookie mistake is to use too much water or oil.

Ground pork, salt, pepper, onion, garlic powder, usual. Pound it flat put it on baking paper bake till done. Add pizza toppings bake again until cheese is melted. Sounds gross til you try it, tastes great. Bonus no poison grains.;)

Ground pork, salt, pepper, onion, garlic powder, usual. Pound it flat put it on baking paper bake till done. Add pizza toppings bake again until cheese is melted. Sounds gross til you try it, tastes great. Bonus no poison grains.;)

I could do that.

In fact, when I go to pizza buffets, I will typically put some greens on a plate, and skim the toppings off of three or for combination slices and make a pizza salad.

Back