Any good Bellanca Super Vikings for sale?

Wow - that thing is gorgeous. Congrats!

I'll get on my soapbox for one thing: does it have shoulder harnesses (at least for the front seats)? If not, look into adding them ASAP. When we bought ours, it didn't have them. One of my partners wanted to put them in, but we drug out feet on it. I started to read up on all the accidents that have happened where the occupants may have been saved (or much less injured) had there been harnesses. So we finally put in 3-point ones. Cost was about $450 for the parts, and about 1 hour of labor. Many of the early Vikings already have the attach points welded in place on the frame between the pilot's window and the back window. Assuming you have them, it's a very easy install.

This accident victim apparently was not wearing her shoulder harness:

http://www.ntsb.gov/_layouts/ntsb.aviation/brief2.aspx?ev_id=20140428X04747&ntsbno=CEN14FA219&akey=1

I owned a 76 Turbo for 2 years . . . liked it - but its a 2 pass airplane. Or 2+ 2 where the plus 2 are kids under 12.

Maintenance can be expensive since you really need to find someone with experience maintaining them - then you have the nose gear AD - and the challenge finding an instructor to sign you off for one since the carriers generally require 25-50 hours instructing in one.

And 300hp should be closer to 180ktas - not 160. The airplane is very draggy - but it is built like a brick you know what.

Best handling airplane I have time in since the Tomcat . . .

Can I revive this post? I'm looking for a Viking as well, anybody have a line on one for sale....I'd like to find one with great fabric & a g430, but I'd settle for just a good deal

did you try
Vikingpilots forum classifieds
Ebay
TAP
aso
Controller
Barnstormers
ask the 3 BSV shops?

My buddy has a Turbo Viking he's looking to sell. PM me if anyone wants his info.

Your carrier will require a checkout from a Viking experienced instructor. . .

One bit of advice - after owning one for 2 plus years. Every single landing needs to at stall. Or else.

You want a sobering review, search for "Viking Left Off runway" - there is a lot of them.

Mine was metal fatigue in the steering rod at the knuckle. . . . yours may be something else.

Your carrier will require a checkout from a Viking experienced instructor. . .

One bit of advice - after owning one for 2 plus years. Every single landing needs to at stall. Or else.

You want a sobering review, search for "Viking Left Off runway" - there is a lot of them.

Mine was metal fatigue in the steering rod at the knuckle. . . . yours may be something else.

In my experience, "Viking experienced" is pretty loose as far as the insurance carriers go. There are 5 of us in my partnership, 2 of us being CFIs. The underwriter approved a local CFI who had flown a Viking a few hours 10-15 years ago to check me out in the airplane (3 hours including an IPC). Once I was checked out with my 3 hours, the underwriter was fine with me checking out the other guys. So you may not necessarily need to hunt down a CFI with tons of Viking time (those guys are hard to find).

In my experience, "Viking experienced" is pretty loose as far as the insurance carriers go. There are 5 of us in my partnership, 2 of us being CFIs. The underwriter approved a local CFI who had flown a Viking a few hours 10-15 years ago to check me out in the airplane (3 hours including an IPC). Once I was checked out with my 3 hours, the underwriter was fine with me checking out the other guys. So you may not necessarily need to hunt down a CFI with tons of Viking time (those guys are hard to find).
I've got 350 hours in a Viking- prob one of the more high time guys today! Some of it in the flight levels in my Turbo . .

I gotta disagree with this a bit. The POH recommends 90mph at touchdown, and that's where I land mine. This is well above stall speed.

What is important is to realize that the nose gear is connected to the rudder pedals with push rods and not with a bungee or springs like a Cessna. If the nosewheel isn't centered when it touches down, then there will be a deviation. My technique is to make pretty much every landing a soft field landing, and to gently set the nosewheel down after the mains are on, paying particular attention to making sure the nosewheel is straight.

To date, I have than 622 hours in my '89 Viking and have owned it for 5 years.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Any reason you're looking at the '74 and newer models? Guy out in Enid, OK had a beautiful '71 turbo model that was recovered around 2010 I think. He was asking $45K, but I think the engine was getting up toward TBO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That Bellanca ended up BACK in my hangar at KHSD in Jan of 2017~~ it was a joyful reunion, I had sold it in 2005 during an extremely busy time in my career, and when I saw it come across my Barnstormers feed I couldn't believe my eyes.... It truly was a brand new airplane, minus the engine proper. Newly skinned and painted, all new hoses and rebuilt fuel system, interior was still a 9 that we installed back in 2003. They are truly a delight to fly, and the closest thing to a P-51 airfoil in a GA aircraft. Cheapest transportation available to Colorado from OK~~!

Great plane. That's a really nice looking Viking. Ours was a 17-31ATC. I put some 3-400 hrs on it. It was a joy to fly. Not much useful load. AS said 2+2. The nose steering gets a lot of people in trouble. But I loved every minute of it. It was a little tight to work on, nothing as bad as a Mooney, but tight. Great IFR platform. I don't have a digital photo of ours, or I would share. I might look for another one soon. Ours met an untimely death. Long story, but still painful after 30+ yrs. Good thing the guy was in the Viking, since the cage saved them from his stupidity.

I just did a double-take on your purchase, because we sold our Super Viking like...a year ago? Something like that. And when you posted pics of your new acquisition, it looked an awful lot like mine, N# and all. Closer look showed our N#s are one digit different. Enjoy the new plane. Super Vikings are different and interesting and zippy and maneuverable. :)

I just did a double-take on your purchase, because we sold our Super Viking like...a year ago? Something like that. And when you posted pics of your new acquisition, it looked an awful lot like mine, N# and all. Closer look showed our N#s are one digit different. Enjoy the new plane. Super Vikings are different and interesting and zippy and maneuverable. :)

Well I actually bought the plane when I posted the pic. Owner was delivering it and had some mechanical issues and went back home. That same day I fell on a pristine local V35B Bonanza and the owner made a deal with me to fly it and take care of it for him. So I decided I did not need the Super Viking since I now had a pristine Bonanza in my hangar. So long story short the guy had several other folks wanting the Viking so I got a refund and he actually sold it for more.
I still kick myself for not buying it! I had it bought for $26,000!

Back