Any Good Advice?

bristheone

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
bristheone
New to flying, wanted to ask some advice. First is there a cheaper option to getting my pilots license? Im thinking no but thought it was worth a shot. Also i have the goal of being commercial in 6-7 years? is that realistic? if so, what is a recommended "flight plan"

Good question and one that is considered often. You asked if there was a cheaper option. Cheaper compared to what?

The 100% guaranteed best way to save money during your training is to diligently study your homework. This will result in less time spent with your instructor and almost certainly fewer lessons in the airplane. Big chance at saving money there.

Download the free PDF at www.FreeFlyBook.com. It will answer just about any question you could have regarding your flight training and certification.

Six to seven years to the commercial,no problem if you have the cash. Purchase your own aircraft,get a reasonably priced instructor ,do home study . Should have no problem

Look into starting off in gliders or a 7AC Champ, Cub, etc

Do you mean a commercially rated pilot or a commercial pilot meaning an airline pilot? The two are very different and could drastically change how you should go about things.

Do you mean a commercially rated pilot or a commercial pilot meaning an airline pilot? The two are very different and could drastically change how you should go about things.

:yeah that: what he said. Commercially certificated pilot can be achieved well within a 3 year mark even if you are flying at any sort of constant pace. But if you are asking about flying for an airline that's a different story as well!

New to flying, wanted to ask some advice. First is there a cheaper option to getting my pilots license? Im thinking no but thought it was worth a shot. Also i have the goal of being commercial in 6-7 years? is that realistic? if so, what is a recommended "flight plan"

Become a plumber....??? :lol:

If you have a college degree, have a decent knowledge of math, the navy will teach you how to fly for free!

Find the cheapest plane and CFI and fly. The more you fly the cheaper it will be

Look into starting off in gliders or a 7AC Champ, Cub, etc

Yes. This would be the best initial training not to mention the most fun. Or, if you are a decent math student and have a degree the navy will teach you for no money and you'll get the whole nine yards. A friends granddaughter is very close to going to Pensacola, honor student in both high school and in college, now entering her last year.

I am interested in commercial transit, flying for an airline. currently i am taking lessons at the local airport here in maine at $200 an hour. is this an average cost?

Well to add to what has already been said, by all means get the ground school part done yourself through one of the many options , like King schools ,ASA, and others they are all found online that will save you hunderds of bucks right there , second is if money is an issue Quit now and run like hell :rofl::goofy: just kidding , save up around 10-11 grand for your private and keep ahead of your flying money wise as it will take 6-8 grand for your instrament and another 3-5k for your multi and so on. You will want to fly at least 2-3 time a week to stay up and not spend much time refreshing on the last lesson before moving on to the next, there are all kinds of options for study materials and equipment, surf around ask questions, as for airline ready in 6-7 years oh hell you could be at the ATP (Airline Transport Pilot....1500 hrs) stage in less than 4 years if your dedicated and progress swiftly through your training. And remember have fun dont let it become a job until it is a job then still have fun enjoy flying p.s. have your debt under control before you get to the airline stage cause your first years wont pay much. Just a heads up.

The Air National Guard. Unc Sam pays for your training, and you get a salary plus flight pay. Takes about a year as a student at a pilot training base. Then probably to another base for specific aircraft training, and then to back your unit for more training and flying. Not sure how long the commitment is, 8-10 years maybe. Most pilots in the ANG fly for airlines so a great way to network to get to the airlines. A great deal!

Go buy a good used airplane - they cost less than many new cars and can be financed for a longer time period as well. Get as much of your flight training in it as possible. There will be a few items you may have to use another airplane for but that will be the exception and not the rule.

Once you get your CFI rating you now have an airplane you can instruct others in as well. You don't have to work for anybody as you'll be in business for yourself.

Buy your own complex airplane after your private. Fly often, go many places.

Have a good instructor who also is (or becomes) a good friend.

6 years is more than reasonable. You're shooting for 1500 hours and 4 certificates. How much time are you willing to put toward this? Make a 5 hour flight to somewhere every other week gets you 10 hours round trip or 250 hours/year. That's the path to 1500 hrs in 6 years....two long flights a month. You want to fly many really long flights, you can shorten it by quite a bit.

thank you guys for all the advice! more is welcomed with open arms!
In oder for flight time to count towards your PPL does the person you are flying with have to be a CFI? The reason why I ask is i was offered to fly with someone however they don't have their CFI.

CPL within 6-7 years? For slow-pokes only. If you are bright and have the cash to sink into training, you could have a CPL this time next year.
If you mean commerial as in "ATP", that will take more time and more flying. But again, pretty easy if you have the time and cash.

And no, if you are flying with a non-CFI pilot, you cannot log any time as a student, sorry. BTDT. Though it does help you learn and gain experince.

headed out the door for another 2 hour lesson

Back