Any girly-girls on this board? Nail question

ScottM

Taxi to Parking
Display Name

Display name:
iBazinga!
Well the knowledge of the PoA members never ceases to amaze me so lets try this one.

As you may know I have been learning to the play the banjo for a year now. The style I am learning, Old-time frailing, requires the use of one's finger nail. I had been a life long nail bitter until I started to learn and since then, I have been trying to grow my nails to play better. But I constantly shatter and break the darn things. I was told by my SO that I am filing them wrong and weakening them. I just go back and forth with the emery board to get it smooth and in the right shape and she say that is a no-no, but as she is a bit of tom-boy when I asked 'how does one do it right', she did not know. She just knows I am doing ti wrong. Somehow that is usually her response to ANYTHING I am doing.

BTW I have tried all the strengthen your nail products and none of them work.

To avoid having to go out and buy Cosmo or 17 or whatever I thought I would take a shot and ask here. So here is my question "How does one properly file a nail to avoid damaging it?" Or am I missing something else that will help me grow my nail?

I have asked all my banjo friends but they all say they have the same problem or they use picks. I have used the pick but I really have a better touch of the strings when it is my nail. The sound is much better too!

BTW there is nothing more pathetic than a bunch of guy sitting around talking nail care.

Scott, I see you're getting in touch with your feminine side.

Not that there's anything wrong with that. :D

They ("they" being the magazine articles I've read in the past) say one should file in one direction, or file each side toward the center. Also, don't file after bathing...make sure they are dry. The nail care advertisers would disagree, but I suspect that strong nails are a genetic thing more than something YOU do.

Lee Press On Nails.

I tried the fake nails. I got one that would fit on my index finger and it came with a 'special' adhesive. No I had seen women always complaining about loosing a fake nail so I thought it was probably the cruddy adhesive they used. But for the first attempt I would give it a try. I followed the instruction exactly and the nail was in place. It looked weird because it was a strange kinda white color that did not match my other nails.

I played banjo and it was pretty cool and worked great. But when I went to take the nail off it would not budge. Harder and harder I pulled but it felt like my own nail was being ripped form my finger so I gave up.

I wondered just how the heck women had these things falling off all the time as this one was stuck on but good. I then looked at the 'special' adhesive a bit closer and to my shock saw 'cyanoacrylic' as the main ingredient. That is Super Glue to the non-geeks among us.

As several curses emerged from my mouth I then went and got the nail polish remover and started soaking my finger in it and wondering what Monday at work would be like if I had to come in with this thing glued to my hand. But after about 45 minutes of soaking the nail came off. That was the last time I tried fake nails.

Ask this dude, maybe he knows.:D

Attachments

• 250px-ReddenDeliverence.jpg
    250px-ReddenDeliverence.jpg
    10.2 KB · Views: 52
They ("they" being the magazine articles I've read in the past) say one should file in one direction, or file each side toward the center.
I guess I've been doing it wrong all my life. Learn something new every day... :redface:

Note: I've been called a lot of things but "girly-girl" is not one of them.

I think Bush pardoned him!

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0212655/

(not sure if he was that character or not.....)

interesting!
:rofl: No clue, either. But, that sounds about right for Rabun County, especially in the 60's. You can still find moonshiners around here and there. I once handled a mortgage document signing for a borrower and he sent a quart of moonshine back to the loan officer. He offered some to me but I declined. I'll just stick to White Castles. :eek:

Ask this dude, maybe he knows.:D

That is Billy Redden. He actually cannot play banjo and in Deliverance they used an actor standing behind him to hold and play the banjo. He is really a nice guy and works as a dishwasher in northern Georgia. He still gets inquiries about that movie and his other movie, Big Fish. Yours truly contacted him a few years ago about some info for his bio on IMDB. After I was done talking with him he invited me to come visit. I'll have to do that sometime!

Oh and BTW he is not retarded.

They ("they" being the magazine articles I've read in the past) say one should file in one direction, or file each side toward the center. Also, don't file after bathing...make sure they are dry.

OK, some more girly input for you. ...

I've heard the 'file toward the center' instructions most of the time, and it does appear to make a difference. The 'file when dry' advice is good as well.

My nails are not the strongest, regardless of vitamins, etc. Too much time spent with keyboards to grow them much, but they've fared best when using OPI Nail Envy - dries quickly, and you can get it in a matte finish so you don't have one unusually sparkly, shiny nail among others. One of the few that seems to strenghten nails more than just make then brittle.

As for the fake nails; yeah, I thought they were cool once, but too much bother to maintain. Use them occasionally, but when it's time to take those off, do yourself a favor and skip the cutesy 'gentle conditioning' removers; you want the blue-light special, hardcore acetone stuff.

Leslie

Do they still say to drink Knox unflavored gelatin to strengthen your nails?

Was that like "Listerine for colds?"

The FTC and FDA made them say......"Listerine does not cure colds." and then added "but it might help lessen the severity...."

Then in the usual lightning speed in a year or two the FTC and FDA made them say......"Listerine does not cure colds nor does it lessen the severity...."

Last edited:
Can't say the knox gelatin thing has worked for me, but I do still hear about it sometimes.

Last time I used unflavored gelatin, it was to create some creative wrapping of a christmas gift. Suspended a gift coin for a music store inside two colors of jello (red & green, of course) in a jar. If desired, the recipient could eat their way through to get to the coin, although only one color was flavored.....

I remember reading in an advice column that there's something you can apply to your nails that makes them stronger and less brittle. I think it was vinegar but I'm not at all sure about that. I do clearly remember that you are supposed to apply once a day for a week and then once a week thereafter. The column was in the Mpls StarTrib last week (Ask Heloise I think).

Edit: A brief Google of "brittle nails" and vinegar yielded several examples of this treatment.

Last edited:
To avoid having to go out and buy Cosmo or 17 or whatever I thought I would take a shot and ask here.

Yeah, like POA is chock full of metrosexuals. Just slip the Cosmo between a couple o' Playboy's, no? You are buying for the articles after all.

BTW there is nothing more pathetic than a bunch of guy sitting around talking nail care.
No kidding. I suppose next you'll be asking for a recipe for roast duck with mango salsa.... :rofl:

-Rich

Attachments

• caveman.jpg
    caveman.jpg
    11.9 KB · Views: 7
No kidding. I suppose next you'll be asking for a recipe for roast duck with mango salsa.... :rofl:

-Rich

Got that already ;);)

Roast Duck with Mango Salsa
1 duckling
salt and pepper
Mango Salsa:
2 mangos, peeled, cored, and cubed
1 small red pepper, diced
1/2 red onion, minced
3 tablespoons parsley
2 tablespoons lime juices
salt
Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Season duck inside and out with salt and pepper. Truss the bird, prick the skin, pat dry. Place breast side down in baking dish. Roast for 15 min, then reduce temp to 350 degrees. Continue cooking for another 1 hour 15 minutes. Prick thickest part of thigh. Liquid should be reddish.
Place all salsa ingredients in a bowl and mix. Add salt to taste. Serve salsa on side.
http://www.slashfood.com/2007/02/02/roast-duck-with-mango-salsa/

Well, after Spike made his biased comments this morning for the board, it sure as haywire has taken a twist for the... well, I'm not sure. But, it ain't exactly straight! :D

Press on nails LOL.

Go to a nail place and get a silk wrap. Then you can hammer a 12 in spike through a board with your...... Nails.

A man has got to have standards.

I clip too but then when I get a chip or crack I need to file so as to not catch the nail on the string which can be quite painful.

Be a man, Use Devcon Stainless Steel or Bronze Putty to coat your nails, use about .040... then you'll look full "Deliverance".

Press on nails LOL.

Go to a nail place and get a silk wrap. Then you can hammer a 12 in spike through a board with your...... Nails.

A man has got to have standards.

For the record, that movie is my all time favorite. Glad someone else knows it :)

"Why is that toy on your head?" "Because if I wear it anywhere else, it chafes."

As noted, one-way filing protects your nail-tip.

Eat jello. Drink water. Takes about 6 months for strengthened area of nail to grow from nailbed to tip.

Moisturizing helps a little. So, when you apply your hand lotion, massage it into your cuticle, around, and across your nails.

Nails are more brittle in dry winter air. Should get better as air gets warmer and more humid.

Two light coats of clear polish adds a little strength. Be sure to completely remove the polish at least every week to let your nail grow normally. If you leave the polish longer, it will start peeling off the top layer of nail and make it even weaker.

Last edited:
/me ponders changing scott's title to "Girly man" ;)

As noted, one-way filing protects your nail-tip.

Eat jello. Drink water. Takes about 6 months for strengthened area of nail to grow from nailbed to tip.

Moisturizing helps a little. So, when you apply your hand lotion, massage it into your cuticle, around, and across your nails.

Nails are more brittle in dry winter air. Should get better as air gets warmer and more humid.

Two light coats of clear polish adds a little strength. Be sure to completely remove the polish at least every week to let your nail grow normally. If you leave the polish longer, it will start peeling off the top layer of nail and make it even weaker.

Did ya get all that Scott? :rofl:

This is the wackiest thread I've ever seen. :eek:

Eat jello. Drink water....

It just occurred to me that the gelatin thing must be based on homeopathy. Gelatin is cow hooves, or cow nails, so it's just gotta be good for your nails, right?

Is it me, or isn't it funny that most of the people who answered a question posed to "girly-girls" on this board are men? I'm trying to figure out what that means.. is it that a lot of male pilots on this board are very in touch with their feminine side, or that there aren't that many female "girly-girl" pilots here, or is it that we just have a lot of guys here who are kidders.. maybe a combination of all three.. hmmmm.:rolleyes: :dunno: :D

As to the original question. I haven't a clue. I've never been accused of being a girly-girl. :no: And I clip mine very short...fits in a trigger guard much easier that way.:D

Is it me, or isn't it funny that most of the people who answered a question posed to "girly-girls" on this board are men? I'm trying to figure out what that means.. is it that a lot of male pilots on this board are very in touch with their feminine side, or that there aren't that many female "girly-girl" pilots here, or is it that we just have a lot of guys here who are kidders.. maybe a combination of all three.. hmmmm.:rolleyes: :dunno: :D
You might be on to something :dunno:

ausrere said:
As to the original question. I haven't a clue. I've never been accused of being a girly-girl. :no: And I clip mine very short...fits in a trigger guard much easier that way.:D

Before I broached this question here I gently asked a few women that I work with and I got two answers. One was, 'I cut my nails short' and the other 'I don't know I go to nail places and they do it'. Maybe it is becoming a lost art. Someone said earlier it is probably just that some people are born with good nails and some are born with crappy shattering ones. I am one of the latter as I shattered the nail again today. It is back to barely up to the end of my finger tip. :(

Scott,

I think you should try stainless steel nails. They're strong and won't rust. If you still have problems, maybe try a "straighter" swing of the hammer. ;)

:rofl:

Scott,

I think you should try stainless steel nails. They're strong and won't rust. If you still have problems, maybe try a "straighter" swing of the hammer. ;)

:rofl:

No joke but I have used a metal pick that goes on the top of my finger. It works but the sound is a lot different than with a real nail. In oldtime a plunky sound is important and with the metal pick it is really a bright metallic sound. SOrt of a banjo heavy metal thing ;)

Hey, I didn't answer with any "fix it" tips. I take care of my nails the old fashioned way... bite them off! :)

Why not replace the metal pick with something made out of wood, or cow hoof or something?

Why not replace the metal pick with something made out of wood, or cow hoof or something?

I did. I used a nylon pick
CPK.jpg

But you still loose a lot of 'touch' with it and it still does not sound right.

Back