Any G1000's W/GFC700 in Tampa area?

TK211X

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Him
I have no problem finding G1000 aircraft, they usually only have the KAP 140 though. My only option so far seems to be the expensive Cirrus that are equipped with the GFC700; but those drain my wallet.

That's really not practical for me.

Does anyone know a C172 or C182 that has a GFC700 near the Tampa area?

Note: EXCEPT Atlas Aviation out of KTPF (Long story)

The GFC700 became standard in 2008, at least on the 172’s so you’ll need to find that or newer.

What’s your reason for wanting to find one with the GFC700? If it’s just to try once maybe considering driving a little further to find one if needed?

It's just the best feeling supervising the Autopilot do a FLC climb to an assigned altitude whilst also commanding a turn to a given heading. It's so capable, I love it!

There are a lot of DA-40s flying around with GFC700s, if you want to fly one of those annoying things.

There are a lot of DA-40s flying around with GFC700s, if you want to fly one of those annoying things.

Yeah, they're so annoyingly efficient, annoyingly fun to fly, have this annoyingly amazing view out of the cockpit...

But yes, you need to find a 2007 or newer bird. I once flew a G1000 182 out of X39 but it was a 2006 I think. Might be worth checking there, though, as that was a long time ago and they had some nearly-new birds for rent. In fact, said 182 had 48 hours on it! (I think it was in January of 2007 that I rented it.)

Yeah, they're so annoyingly efficient, annoyingly fun to fly, have this annoyingly amazing view out of the cockpit...

But yes, you need to find a 2007 or newer bird. I once flew a G1000 182 out of X39 but it was a 2006 I think. Might be worth checking there, though, as that was a long time ago and they had some nearly-new birds for rent. In fact, said 182 had 48 hours on it! (I think it was in January of 2007 that I rented it.)

I've flown a 2006 with the GFC-700. Also, I have to disagree on the first two (no one can disagree about the view). I found the DA40s I flew to burn more gas than they should and to be obnoxious on takeoff and landing. I do agree that they are super easy to hand fly in the air. Would much rather fly an Archer or Grumman Tiger.

I've flown a 2006 with the GFC-700. Also, I have to disagree on the first two (no one can disagree about the view). I found the DA40s I flew to burn more gas than they should and to be obnoxious on takeoff and landing. I do agree that they are super easy to hand fly in the air. Would much rather fly an Archer or Grumman Tiger.

A DA40 burns more gas than it should?!???

If you run best power mixture, it's about 145 KTAS on 10.5 gph. If you run best economy LOP, it's about 135 KTAS on 7.5 gph (those are the real-world speeds from ours). That's 18 nmpg! I daresay that's better than any other airplane in its class (certified 180hp 4-seat singles) by quite a bit.

What's obnoxious about takeoff and landing? That you actually have to use the rudder? It lands easier than almost any other plane too...

A DA40 burns more gas than it should?!???

If you run best power mixture, it's about 145 KTAS on 10.5 gph. If you run best economy LOP, it's about 135 KTAS on 7.5 gph (those are the real-world speeds from ours). That's 18 nmpg! I daresay that's better than any other airplane in its class (certified 180hp 4-seat singles) by quite a bit.

What's obnoxious about takeoff and landing? That you actually have to use the rudder? It lands easier than almost any other plane too...

You have some super DA-40, cause the best I've ever seen - at best power - was maybe 135 and burning over 11.

You have some super DA-40, cause the best I've ever seen - at best power - was maybe 135 and burning over 11.

Ouch. That's pretty bad for a DA40. Ours is pretty average, I've flown 4 others and they were about the same. What year is the one you fly?

Mine is a 2001, one of the oldest in the US, and I get 135 K at 9.5 gph. The newer ones are faster...

Mine is a 2001, one of the oldest in the US, and I get 135 K at 9.5 gph. The newer ones are faster...

Yep. For reference, ours is a 2006 with the "speed gear". The 2007+ "XL" and "XLS" models gain another 5-10 knots.

The DA40 one serial number higher than ours is flying around with a supercharger on it and an Experimental airworthiness certificate (for now) while they work on the STC... That one can get 164 KTAS but the fuel burns are higher. http://forcedaeromotive.com/

Last edited:
Back