Any fuel test kit that can hook to 172 strainer drain?

JasonM

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
JM
I am a student and have been following the Checklist Procedures which call for me to pull the strainer drain knob, but to accomplish this and be able to test the fuel coming out, my instructor will pull the knob while I lay under the nose and hold the fuel test jar.

Is there any product out there that would grab a hold of the metal drain line so that I could do all of this on my own? I'm sure I could rig something up at the hardware store, but just wondering if there was a good setup already on the market.

No, hug the plane. Most folks can do it on a 172, but on my 182 the knob is on the left but the drain is on the right

You can make it yourself with about 5" of thick gauge (I forget the numeric diameter of the thick one) safety wire. Hook one end to the stud in the middle of the cup, then fold the other end over into a long barb and curve the tip away from the other stand of the wire. Shove that up into the tube and that'll hold it there with friction until you tug it out.

you saying to shove something into the fuel drain tube?? I was thinking something that would go around it/over it.

you saying to shove something into the fuel drain tube?? I was thinking something that would go around it/over it.

Be careful, soft aluminum tube that is easy to bend. Not a big deal occasionally but it will work harden and crack if it keeps getting bent.

While not 100% kosher lots of folks have learned how to recognize water in fuel drained onto the ground...

Yes, inside the tube, you're talking about the little drain tube that sticks down under the plane right? If you don't like that, you can get a squeeze ferrule fitting, the plastic kind, to slide over the tube and finger tighten, that should hold. Then there are also the plastic 'slip on' hydraulic fittings where you pinch down to release them. If you can find one that will grab on your tube, that would work nicely. Another option is go out with a flare tool and add just a little flare to the end of the tube then you can wrap the wire around the outside to hang the sampler cup.

If you get a GATTS jar, you can set it on the ground where the tube shoots the fuel as well.

No, hug the plane. Most folks can do it on a 172, but on my 182 the knob is on the left but the drain is on the right

On the 177RG, there are two drains, and the handle is under the pilot's seat. You can reach one with a bucket (while trying not to get your head bashed in by the door on a windy day), but not the other.

There is one 172 I've used where it takes so much effort to pull the gascolator that it really is a two person job. But most of them work just fine. Stick the jar over the outlet, then reach up and yank the handle by feel. Count to 5 if you can't see the jar or hear it filling (seems to be common). One of the big GATS jars seems to work best for this.

It sure is easier on a Warrior. Just make sure the quick-release closes again after you're done.

Thanks guys. I'll give the reach-around method a go and see how it works before hitting up the hardware store.

Thanks guys. I'll give the reach-around method a go and see how it works before hitting up the hardware store.
Hmm, I thought that required two people as well...:rofl:
NSFW
[Yt]nOG-kkDGaRc[/MEDIA]

Back