Any Ford F-series experts out there?

Capt.Crash'n'Burn

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Capt.Crash'n'Burn
I'm looking to get a 9th generation F-series 4x4. I want one of these because it's the last generation that had the Windsor engine.

I was wondering if I get an F-150, can it be upgraded to F-250 or 350 specs by simply swapping out axles and springs?

Is there such a thing as an F-250 with the 351 and an automatic overdrive tranny?

In that generation your selections are F150, F250, F250HD, or F350 in increasing GVWR. Drivetrain, frame and suspension all change based on the rating, all of which can be 'helped' to give you capability beyond what is on the door sticker.

You'd need to swap out axles, suspension, and maybe even the frame to go F-250/350. It's not just an easy swap. Yes, the 351w was offered as an engine on the F-250, and is fairly common actually. However, I'd find one with the 460 if I were you. The 1992-1995 models were pretty nice, and have the single rectangular side window on extended cabs; the earlier models had two skinny rear side windows. 1996 will be the first year of OBDII electronics, which aren't bad, but I'd avoid it. My ideal candidate would be a 1995 F-250 4x4 extended cab with the 460 or the 7.3L diesel, but the diesels still command a premium.

Any reason you want to stick with the Windsor engines? The 5.3L 2V Triton V8, V10 Triton, and 6.0L diesels in the '98+ models were pretty reliable and they ride/drive a ton better as well.

Back