Any flyng Outdoors people here

dogman

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
dogman
Just wondering if any of you would be interested in a group fly in for a hunting fishing or Horse back riding trip?
I use our PA32 or C172 do alot of such trips.

Some Ideas

Bird/Pheasant hunt Iowa,South/North Dakota or Kansas. I have done all these

Fishing Canada I have flown to Armstrong Ontario jumped in a Beaver and dropped off for 7days fishing and flown out via Beaver and flown back home via SIX COOL!

My wife has been looking at a 7 DAy horse back ride in the Red rock Canyons area and north rim of the Grand canyon.

Idaho? Alaska group trip????

Any one interesed in any of this or have some Ideas.

Jon

I love the outdoors! The Horseback riding sounds cool to me.... but I don't hunt or fish. I'm just not hungry enough for that.

Missa

Come to Ames, IA. I got a couple Coyote's you can shoot and you dont even have to leave the airport! The corn is starting to come out and the Deer and Pheasants are going to be running all over the place. Have had a couple pheasants down at the end of one of the runways here too lately...

tonycondon said:
Come to Ames, IA. I got a couple Coyote's you can shoot and you dont even have to leave the airport! The corn is starting to come out and the Deer and Pheasants are going to be running all over the place. Have had a couple pheasants down at the end of one of the runways here too lately...

Across the street from where I live is a wilderness area. They allow hunting at certain times and it is almost time for Pheasent season. I love that time of year. While we may think of the birds as pretty stupid, during hunting season a great many of the birds gather in my fron yard out of harms way. I laugh and fill the bird feeders a lot more.

I really have never understood the need to kill innocent creatures for fun. Don't really see much of challenge in hunting either since the animals can't shoot back, but then I had a chance to basically hunt people in a couple of locations in my past and perhaps I have seen enough and faced the greater challenge.

Our mailman is a Vietnam Vet, was special forces, basically hunted people. Told me he doesnt hunt animals for the same reason, theres no challenge in it and they cant shoot back. Said after you've hunted another person, the fun all goes away.

Hes kinda crazy too...

dogman said:
Just wondering if any of you would be interested in a group fly in for a hunting fishing or Horse back riding trip?

Some Ideas

Fishing Canada I have flown to Armstrong Ontario jumped in a Beaver and dropped off for 7days fishing and flown out via Beaver and flown back home via SIX COOL!

My wife has been looking at a 7 DAy horse back ride in the Red rock Canyons area and north rim of the Grand canyon.

Jon

Hay Jon where you been?

I am flying to Iowa in November for a pheasant hunting trip with a nother local pilot. I would love to do the Idaho or Alaska trip, I take it this would be next spring? No way I can do it this fall to much going on. I'll be up your way next month, so I'll give you a call.
Dean

I hunt because God made 'em taste GOOD!!!

I did a salmon fishing trip in Barkley Sound in Canada a month or so ago and loved watching the float planes coming and going from Bamfield. I oggled the planes, my brother oggled the boats and in between we caught some salmon.

My son in law produces a show for Outdoor Life Network called Escape to the Wild, featuring hunting and fishing trips. Maybe we need to hook him up with Tom Gresham over on the red board and do a combo POA/AOPA fly in outdoor adventure! I've lost all my contacts for South Dakota pheasant (ranching uncles and aunts who've since retired and sold the ranches). Now a fall archery deer hunt or spring turkey hunt to the Black Hills is possible...

There's room here for all of God's creatures ... right next to the mashed potatos and gravy!

Last edited:
I've never shot a gun. It'd be interesting to learn.

I haven't fished in a long time, but I've been thinking about trying to get some salmon after our mx chief shared some with me that he'd caught and smoked. YYYYYYYYUMMY. :yes:

I'm hoping to get my commercial seaplane rating sometime soon. It'll probably have to be in spring, though. I've always thought it would be awesome to just go land in the middle of a huge lake and fish from the plane. :)

I would love to do such an adventure, but I don't have any more vacation coming until May. :( I'll also be burning a week on OSH again next year.

flyingcheesehead said:
I've never shot a gun.

Shhh! Isn't that against the law to say in Wisconsin?? Oh wait, you live in Madison, never mind! :D:D:D

Seriously that is interesting. I first shot as a boy scout. Earned a bunch of NRA badges. I have shot lots of guns up to 14.5mm Chinese anti-aircraft gun. I did that on a Chinese Army base north of Beijing. That was an interesting experience to say the least.

Dean said:
Hay Jon where you been?

I am flying to Iowa in November for a pheasant hunting trip with a nother local pilot. I would love to do the Idaho or Alaska trip, I take it this would be next spring? No way I can do it this fall to much going on. I'll be up your way next month, so I'll give you a call.
Dean

When and where in Iowa? Don't know if I'll be able to hunt on opening weekend this year or not -- this rain is putting us behind schedule for fert spreading which is gonna leave me with a LOOOOONG October. *sigh* Oh well, opening day on public land is pretty much a 'at your own risk' type of deal anyway.

-Chris

dogman said:

Some Ideas

Jon

I'm up for some sort of 'fly and then do something' type of trip. My wife and I flew down to Arkansas this spring to Petit Jean State Park -- airport on property. We were 'planning' on hanging out just camping/fishing for the weekend but we got interrupted by some silly Cessna 170 fly-in. ;)

She bought me a new Mossberg 850 last year for my birthday, and I proposed to her while we were fishing, so I think it's safe to say we are pretty much 'outdoors' type of people. ha!

I'd love to head out and try something new!

-Chris

CJones said:

-Chris

put a hard point on the RV, mount a rifle, a little servo to pull the trigger and run a wire into your stick. im sure youve got another button left. That'd be something new.

Im told that this was done in the Marfa, TX area by a bigtime rancher who had a pawnee. Him and Chuck Yeager were apparently buddies, they mounted the gun on the wing somewhere and then ran a wire in to the cockpit. then they had target shooting contests.

flyingcheesehead said:
I've never shot a gun. It'd be interesting to learn.

Come to Iowa. My father-in-law is a former gunsmith. There is no shortage of guns in this family!

I know my stance is too short in the second pic, but I wanted to show off what shirt I was wearing. :)

-Chris

Attachments

• October 2004 018.jpg
    October 2004 018.jpg
    426.9 KB · Views: 29
  • October 2004 010.jpg
    October 2004 010.jpg
    108.2 KB · Views: 38
tonycondon said:
put a hard point on the RV, mount a rifle, a little servo to pull the trigger and run a wire into your stick. im sure youve got another button left. That'd be something new.

Im told that this was done in the Marfa, TX area by a bigtime rancher who had a pawnee. Him and Chuck Yeager were apparently buddies, they mounted the gun on the wing somewhere and then ran a wire in to the cockpit. then they had target shooting contests.

ACTUALLY, I DO have another button on the stick that I can use. I've always wanted to put a sticker on there that says "MISSLES" for people that ask what the buttons do. :)

-Chris

Jeez Chris, you are from Alabama :)

Back of the pickup has 10 shotguns and two car seats!!
Please tell me you arent really an Atlanta Braves fan, are you?

I'm pretty sure we could teach Kent how to miss a pheasant or two....I'd definately be up for a weekend trip to Iowa/South Dakota for pheasants.

Pete

Fly fishing in Montana, at the base of the mountains... :yes:

They'll even teach you if you don't know how....

I'd probably fly anywhere in Pac NW region or BC this year for hunting, farther away next year. Could be a blast.

tonycondon said:

Quick Call the king! Peasants chasing his deer!!! :hairraise:
What's this world coming to??
Ya call this tighter airport security??:goofy: :goofy:

SHEESH!!!...............

smigaldi said:
Shhh! Isn't that against the law to say in Wisconsin?? Oh wait, you live in Madison, never mind! :D:D:D

:rofl:

Lotsa folks hunt, even the ones from Madison. :D What it's really against the law to say in Wisconsin is:

I don't like beer! :goofy: But I'm sitting in PA right now so I can admit it freely. :rofl:

I guess the reason I've never done it is that my parents were never into it. Dad grew up on a farm and likes animals and Mom just plain hates guns (and anything else fun with any sort of danger factor) because she used to be an ER nurse.

BTW, I have shot BB guns and stuff like that, but those dont really count IMHO. :no:

flyingcheesehead said:
:rofl:

Lotsa folks hunt, even the ones from Madison. :D What it's really against the law to say in Wisconsin is:

I don't like beer! :goofy: But I'm sitting in PA right now so I can admit it freely. :rofl:

When I was working in Wisconsin we started putting a cell system up into Green Bay. There was this one store that we all loved to stop and look at. It was your quintessenial Wisconsin outdoors one stop hunting store. It had a sign up that said "Guns, Ammo, Liquor, Adult Movies" :rofl::rofl: Gotta love it!!

View out my back window a few weeks ago...

BYDeer.jpg

Along with the turkey, fox, hummingbirds, coyotes, and hummingbirds I don't have to go far for the "outdoor" experience.

Well, I think most of us fly outdoors, and as for horse, you need something like a Caribou or a C-123 minimum to haul your horses in. The good thing is you could add some living quarters and a tack room.

Henning said:
Well, I think most of us fly outdoors, and as for horse, you need something like a Caribou or a C-123minimum to haul your horses in. The good thing is you could add some living quarters and a tack room.

If she could afford! My wife would buy one those .

We have 18 horse and 2 mules. We spend around 20 hours riding a week.We do part of our job working on horses.

Last edited:
Dean said:
Hay Jon where you been?

Dean
I have been right here working working trying to get this 200 acres payed off . Been lerking but no time to post.
Give me a call That would be great. I am serious and want to do somethig like this.

Jon

Last edited:
dogman said:
If she could afford! My wife would buy one those .

We have 18 horse and 2 mules. We spend around 20 hours riding a week.We do part of our job working on horses.

Then y'ada just get The C-5A, build stables down in the bottom and a nice hayloft and apartment above it. Mobile Ranch. I did a fair bit of riding and the bi-annaul roundup on a 42,000 acre neighbors ranch when I had another life with a wife. Even bred Palaminos, goats and llamas on our 112 acres. Never again.... well maybe horses if I can afford to have someone run the place.

gkainz said:
I hunt because God made 'em taste GOOD!!!

I did a salmon fishing trip in Barkley Sound in Canada a month or so ago and loved watching the float planes coming and going from Bamfield. I oggled the planes, my brother oggled the boats and in between we caught some salmon.

My son in law produces a show for Outdoor Life Network called Escape to the Wild, featuring hunting and fishing trips. Maybe we need to hook him up with Tom Gresham over on the red board and do a combo POA/AOPA fly in outdoor adventure! I've lost all my contacts for South Dakota pheasant (ranching uncles and aunts who've since retired and sold the ranches). Now a fall archery deer hunt or spring turkey hunt to the Black Hills is possible...

There's room here for all of God's creatures ... right next to the mashed potatos and gravy!

I would love to go Back to the Black HillsTurkey hunting!! Did one in 1994 was a Blast until we got 3 feet of snow april 24th.

Any way that is an easy trip to line up because of the N.Forest easy access.

I am serious about this any one else intereste It would probably be in end april early may.

Yep I got lots of room next to my mashed taters. We eat A LOT of wild game.

CJones said:
I'm up for some sort of 'fly and then do something' type of trip. My wife and I flew down to Arkansas this spring to Petit Jean State Park -- airport on property. We were 'planning' on hanging out just camping/fishing for the weekend but we got interrupted by some silly Cessna 170 fly-in. ;)

She bought me a new Mossberg 850 last year for my birthday, and I proposed to her while we were fishing, so I think it's safe to say we are pretty much 'outdoors' type of people. ha!

-Chris

That Mossberg 850 would work real well for Turkeys in Black hills.

vontresc said:
I'm pretty sure we could teach Kent how to miss a pheasant or two....I'd definately be up for a weekend trip to Iowa/South Dakota for pheasants.

Pete

I have some good contacts for SD and ND maybe we could put something together for Oct-Nov.

Troy Whistman said:
Fly fishing in Montana, at the base of the mountains... :yes:

They'll even teach you if you don't know how....

Never done it but sounds great.

Dave Krall CFII said:
I'd probably fly anywhere in Pac NW region or BC this year for hunting, farther away next year. Could be a blast.

We will do some thing i do not knoif it will be this fall but definatly next spring or summer.

smigaldi said:
There was this one store that we all loved to stop and look at. It was your quintessenial Wisconsin outdoors one stop hunting store. It had a sign up that said "Guns, Ammo, Liquor, Adult Movies" :rofl::rofl: Gotta love it!!

There's a store in Bailey, Colorado that's called "Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms. One stop shopping! :D

dogman said:
That Mossberg 850 would work real well for Turkeys in Black hills.

Yep.. I got a slug barrel for it last winter and dropped the first deer I saw with it. ;) Dropped 3 pheasants with it last fall. I'm planning on trying it out on turkeys this fall (weather and work permitting). It's a very good all-around gun.

-Chris

dogman said:
I would love to go Back to the Black HillsTurkey hunting!! Did one in 1994 was a Blast until we got 3 feet of snow april 24th.

Any way that is an easy trip to line up because of the N.Forest easy access.

I am serious about this any one else intereste It would probably be in end april early may.

Yep I got lots of room next to my mashed taters. We eat A LOT of wild game.
I grew up in Custer and still have family there, so I would vote for a southern hills trip. I'm considering whitetail archery up there this fall with my brother in law, time allowing - trying to juggle this in between elk and deer next month in Colorado.

Good thing it's fall, because my freezer is looking sad - I'm down to my last few buffalo roasts, elk round steaks and a couple of salmon fillets. The venison sausage has been gone for a few months, and the jerky never makes it past Memorial Day. :( Time to buy a buffalo from my old high school buddy again, too! My new smoker needs fired up now!

Hunting would be great I have an awesome bird dog in training. I might not be able to do it this year because of the new baby but keep me posted.

Bob

rmciottijr said:
Hunting would be great I have an awesome bird dog in training. I might not be able to do it this year because of the new baby but keep me posted.

Bob

Bob what kind of dog do you own? We train pointing bird dogs for a living!

Jon

dogman said:

Jon

Ohhhh... What kind of dogs do you train? My father-in-law has an english setter that is on its last leg. We took it out last year for probably the last time and it was nailing points left-and-right! That got me hooked on pointer dogs! I have a 1.5 year old black lab that is a pretty good go-getter and flusher but I need to stumble across a good pointer now. ha!

-Chris

dogman said:

What kind of pointers do you use? I have a German Shorthaired Pointer that's great. I think they're one of the best all around hunting dogs, plus they may good family pets.

Back