Any flying club with a PA-46? Malibu for rent?

Adrien

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Adrien
A couple of years I saw a post of a guy stating that he was a memeber of a flying club that had 2 Cirrus and a PA46 available for rent. I am unable to find such club and was wondering if anybody knew of a club that had Malibu's in their fleet. I knew that years back Plus one flyers in San Diego had one but this is no longer the case.
I understand this is a complex airplane and chances of finding a club with one available for rent is small but it has been done in the past.

Considering the initial and recurrent training requirements that insurance typically mandates on these airplanes, good luck finding one in a club. If you do, I'd bet the hourly rate is astronomical.

Why are you looking for one available for rent? To check one out prior to purchase?

I do understand and expect hefty insurance requirements. Hourly rates can vary and may not be as astronomical as you suggest (at least they werent on the last one that was available for rent). Astronomical is also a relative term. (ie C172 rates are friendly for many, and astronomical/out of reach for others).
I believe that if you find the right club, it could beat ownership. That has been my experience flying a C182RG in the midwest for the past 4 years. I am looking for my next step up and considering PA46/P210's but like I said, If i find a club or one for rent I may be able to ease my way into the airplane, see if I like it for my mission before diving full into ownership.

I do understand and expect hefty insurance requirements. Hourly rates can vary and may not be as astronomical as you suggest (at least they werent on the last one that was available for rent). Astronomical is also a relative term. (ie C172 rates are friendly for many, and astronomical/out of reach for others).
I believe that if you find the right club, it could beat ownership. That has been my experience flying a C182RG in the midwest for the past 4 years. I am looking for my next step up and considering PA46/P210's but like I said, If i find a club or one for rent I may be able to ease my way into the airplane, see if I like it for my mission before diving full into ownership.

Considering that insurance for a well qualified single pilot plan on a 1.2M PA46 is around $12k, I have a hard time believing that the rate for an equal airplane open for rental by multiple pilots is going to be lower. This will directly translate into steep hourly rates unless the thing flys a lot of hours each year. They also aren't the cheapest thing to maintain, so the rates will also be higher due to those costs.

You may be able to find some sort of partnership arrangement and have things work out ok but I have doubts that what you're looking for will be found in a club environment. Clearly there is a reason why the one and only PA46 that I'm aware of that was in a club environment is no longer there.

I agree with others. You'd be hard pressed to find a PA46 for rent at a club. It just doesn't make economical sense for anyone. Renters tear up airplanes and the more complex/HP it is the less people will rent it, and those that do will gear it up, smoke the engine over time or worse. Proficiency in a PA46/P210 is not conducive to a rental set up. Makes more sense to find other experienced pilots and maybe split ownership 3 ways. Find an experienced PA46 CFI and fly with him/her to meet insurance requirements.

Depends on the type of club.

Almost certainly not going to find a Malibu in a leaseback club. You could find one in a large, multi plane partnership that calls itself a club.

Depends on the type of club.

Almost certainly not going to find a Malibu in a leaseback club. You could find one in a large, multi plane partnership that calls itself a club.

Agree with this. Or to stretch the “club” term a bit further, I think your best bet may be to see if you can find an owner who doesn’t fly his or hers much and might be willing to dry lease you some time. Would take some hustle and a bunch of luck but not impossible.

Back