Any female pilot forums out there?

Michele

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Michele
Hi all,

Looking for female pilot forums. I know about the WAI and the 99s, and I know there are some airline and military female pilot forums, but I'm looking for GA forums.

Yesterday someone touted me on the following taildragger forum and that looks like a neat site and that a lot of flying fun goes on there. I contacted them and the reply I got was as good and welcoming as was the site--but, its pretty much just for taildragger ladies. I'm a nose-wheel lady and am looking for something that includes nose-wheel flyers.

http://www.ladieslovetaildraggers.com

Anybody know of any GA pilot forums that are principally female or geared towards females?:princess:

We could always start one... Except I'm not a computer wiz and don't know how!

Not a lot of activity, but there's babes and airplanes. www.babesandairplanes.com. There are some frogs (men) on it, if you're looking for a female-only board.

I've found however, that the "flying" thing is more important than the "gender" thing when folks gather. At Oshkosh, or boards like this, gender just sort of fades into irrelevance.

Best wishe.

Well this site has plenty of accomplished women pilots but we generally don't look at eachother as male pilots or female pilots Were all just pilots to eachother.

If your looking for a site that is primarily women that excludes men I don't know if there is one out there. There is a site called "Babes and Airplanes" That has some good folks on it, but I think there are also men.

Safe Flying.

How about LadiesLoveTaildraggers? At Christmas there was a link in our Cessna140 club site. It basically showed many of the ladies with their taildraggers pictures, but it looked as if there is a forum there as well.

Kim on here talks about the 99's. Maybe they have a site.

Doc

Last edited:
I'm a nose-wheel lady and am looking for something that includes nose-wheel flyers.

I've participated on that site, but I find that exclusive groups like that tend to, well.....exclude. :D

I prefer to be with all different kinds of pilots (male and female) who fly all kinds of different airplanes.

Well this site has plenty of accomplished women pilots but we generally don't look at eachother as male pilots or female pilots Were all just pilots to eachother.
Adam, I feel the same as you do...we're all just pilots to each other here. :)

Michele, I guess I haven't been helpful, but I do hope you find what you're looking for. :)

Anybody know of any GA pilot forums that are principally female or geared towards females?:princess:

Just curious, what would make a forum "geared" toward females? Just the fact that all women participate? Well, mostly men participate here, but I've never thought of it as "geared" toward men. I can't think of anything I've ever posted or responded to that would matter whether I was (or was talking to) a male or female. Are you just looking to "gab" with other ladies about flying, or to have all your meaningful flying discussions with females only? If the latter, then you are excluding most of the flying knowledge base that exists.

Hi all,

Looking for female pilot forums. I know about the WAI and the 99s, and I know there are some airline and military female pilot forums, but I'm looking for GA forums.

Yesterday someone touted me on the following taildragger forum and that looks like a neat site and that a lot of flying fun goes on there. I contacted them and the reply I got was as good and welcoming as was the site--but, its pretty much just for taildragger ladies. I'm a nose-wheel lady and am looking for something that includes nose-wheel flyers.

Need pic to be able to help...

We could always start one... Except I'm not a computer wiz and don't know how!
See what you started, Jeanie (my unnamed touter of the forum...yes, I have many forum names-weird but insanely true). And yes, maybe we should start one, I love the idea.

Not a lot of activity, but there's babes and airplanes. www.babesandairplanes.com. There are some frogs (men) on it, if you're looking for a female-only board.

I've found however, that the "flying" thing is more important than the "gender" thing when folks gather. At Oshkosh, or boards like this, gender just sort of fades into irrelevance.

Best wishe.
Looked at that site and it looks pretty good. Women pilots just looking to glory in the sport and have fun (safely, of course). I'll go back to that site again.

How about LadiesLoveTaildraggers? At Christmas there was a link in our Cessna140 club site. It basically showed many of the ladies with their taildraggers pictures, but it looked as if there is a forum there as well.

Kim on her talks about the 99's. Maybe they have a site.

Doc
I saw that site and contacted them. They got back to me with a very nice and welcoming email. I think I'm going to try and figure out how to make it to their annual fly-in in Tennessee.

I've participated on that site, but I find that exclusive groups like that tend to, well.....exclude. :D

I prefer to be with all different kinds of pilots (male and female) who fly all kinds of different airplanes.

Adam, I feel the same as you do...we're all just pilots to each other here. :)

Michele, I guess I haven't been helpful, but I do hope you find what you're looking for. :)
I know that some sites exclude. While welcoming in her email, the taildragger site person did mention that to be a member you have to fly a taildragger or something like that...I never flew a taildragger and am looking to own a nose wheel. But, I think it's okay if some groups exclude because you can belong to many groups-the beauty of the internet. Example, I belong to the Cessna Pilots Forum and the Cessna Society. I'm sure if you own a taildragger, you could still be on those sites but why would you...so, in a sense, they too exclude.

The point is that I would belong to all sorts of groups and get all sorts of relevant info from each. I don't want to exclude myself from male pilot forums ( :yikes: ), not at all--I learn so much and I've made most of my best pilot friends through them. But women can have issues better understood by other women and we are such a small group (that 6% number again) that its easy for our issues to be over looked. I just want to share with and learn about other women pilot's experiences and to fly with other women, just as I will continue to fly with and learn from male pilots.

Last edited:
But women can have issues better understood by other women and we are such a small group (that 6% number again) that its easy for our issues to be over looked. I just want to share with and learn about other women pilot's experiences and to fly with other women, just as I will continue to fly with and learn from male pilots.

I understand what you're saying. :) Out of curiosity, what topics would you discuss that you wouldn't discuss here, for example? And would you keep men out, or would you let them read and post, too?

I always find it entertaining when the title of a thread on different 'co-ed' aviation forums starts with "A question for the women here..." Seems like a lot of men can't wait to respond to those threads. :D I started one here like that years ago and it was interesting.

If you find, or start a female pilot forum, I'd like to check it out, so please let us know. :)

The short answer is, of course, no exclusive women only pilot forums, aside from what's already been posted.

But there are many women pilots here, and the menfolk aren't too horrible, so maybe you could just hang out here.

Besides, if you did find a women only forum, there's a very good chance that most of the members would be guys posing as women any way. Welcome to the internet.

I understand what you're saying. :) Out of curiosity, what topics would you discuss that you wouldn't discuss here, for example? And would you keep men out, or would you let them read and post, too?

I always find it entertaining when the title of a thread on different 'co-ed' aviation forums starts with "A question for the women here..." Seems like a lot of men can't wait to respond to those threads. :D I started one here like that years ago and it was interesting.

If you find, or start a female pilot forum, I'd like to check it out, so please let us know. :)
You're not really a man, just trying to spy on our women-only site, are you?
:goofy::goofy: Excuse me, I couldn't resist. :rofl::rofl:

Okay, seriously. First, it wouldn't exclude men. If it had a name like...Girls Just Wanna Fly...or something identifying like that, I assume it would attract women, but anyone could register and post.

Topics? Well, like I said on another forum where I posted this thread, topics would include issues about why there are so few women pilots and how to help with that. Ex. While many airports have aviation initiatives, few have initiatives that directly address the paucity of women flyers. A top issue would be how to get women pilots together to fly more (with each other or anyone of any gender--many of the women pilots I know don't fly much for various competing factors like family, etc). There are other things, other topics, I'm sure.

A women's only site might go a long way to letting women who don't fly and are thinking about it, know that its something women actually do and can do. And it might have discussions and topics that help women to understand how its doable.

Last edited:
Was this query triggered by any of the other posts on this forum that seemed to make a presumption that if there were any women reading this forum, they didn't matter?

Was this query triggered by any of the other posts on this forum that seemed to make a presumption that if there were any women reading this forum, they didn't matter?
Geez, No, not at all. It was prompted by a recent encounter with some arrogant insensitive male pilots and later in a discussion with someone about this particular encounter, that someone told me about the women's taildragger site. I thought it was a great site and wondered if there were other similar sites, particularly for nose-wheel fliers like myself. And so I posted my query.

I've always found people on the board friendly, helpful, pretty accepting and always positive. Oh yeah, and many, pretty funny!

Okay, seriously. First, it wouldn't exclude men. If it had a name like...Girls Just Wanna Fly...or something identifying like that, I assume it would attract women, but anyone could register and post.

Topics? Well, like I said on another forum where I posted this thread, topics would include issues about why there are so few women pilots and how to help with that. Ex. While many airports have aviation initiatives, few have initiatives that directly address the paucity of women flyers. A top issue would be how to get women pilots together to fly more (with each other or anyone of any gender--many of the women pilots I know don't fly much for various competing factors like family, etc). There are other things, other topics, I'm sure.

A women's only site might go a long way to letting women who don't fly and are thinking about it, know that its something women actually do and can do. And it might have discussions and topics that help women to understand how its doable.

If someone wants to register the domain (so you own it, not me). I'll set up the software and hand over the admin keys.... Now only 5 bucks is stopping one from existing :)

I think the pilot forums are fragmented enough, but I do like options (Not that this would be one for me, but maybe for my alternate internet persona :rofl: )

Geez, No, not at all. It was prompted by a recent encounter with some arrogant insensitive male pilots and later in a discussion with someone about this particular encounter, that someone told me about the women's taildragger site. I thought it was a great site and wondered if there were other similar sites, particularly for nose-wheel fliers like myself. And so I posted my query.

I've always found people on the board friendly, helpful, pretty accepting and always positive. Oh yeah, and many, pretty funny!

Arrogant, insensitive, MALE???? pliots? Whodathunkit?

OK - thanks - just curious.

Some of the most arrogant insensitive pilots I've encountered online are taildraggers. Treat us tricycle gear-only pilots like we're a menace to aerial navigation! :D

If someone wants to register the domain (so you own it, not me). I'll set up the software and hand over the admin keys.... Now only 5 bucks is stopping one from existing :)

I think the pilot forums are fragmented enough, but I do like options (Not that this would be one for me, but maybe for my alternate internet persona :rofl: )
Hmmm, dunno 'bout that, seems like a time-eater to run. But it's an interesting prop...maybe my new friend Jeane...

My wife is 12 hours into her PPL training, and a .NET developer about to be handed a Linux system to maintain, she thinks setting up a womens pilot forum would be a good intro to linux. Stay tuned for the URL.

My wife is 12 hours into her PPL training, and a .NET developer about to be handed a Linux system to maintain, she thinks setting up a womens pilot forum would be a good intro to linux. Stay tuned for the URL.
Sweeeet ...:yesnod:

Make her do it in Sharepoint! I dare ya!

What a nice colloquy, Adam, and it should be true. But there are gender differences between male and female pilots

Uh there are gender differences between men and women period!;)

How many male pilots have right seated with a girl pilot in the left seat where that girl pilot that wasn't a CFI or significant other? .

Well I have not to my recollection ever right seated with a girl but I have Back seated to a girl and we were upside down much of that time to boot. I did wear a parachute but not because I was worried about her flying she said I had too, One of my most exciting flights RIGHT DIANA???:D

Like I said on the other forum where you posted this same topic, if you ever find yourself in the SF Bay Area, send me an email and you can fly with me. We'll go over the Golden Gate Bridge or something.

Kimberly

How many male pilots have right seated with a girl pilot in the left seat where that girl pilot that wasn't a CFI or significant other?

My male CFII told me that when he flew for an airline, he has right seated with female captains.

I'm sure many male pilots have been gender blind and flown with lots of girl pilots, BUT I would bet the overwhelming majority of male pilots have not.
I'll bet a lot of the guys I work with have flown with a female captain. Of course it wasn't exactly voluntary. :rofl:

Well I have not to my recollection ever right seated with a girl but I have Back seated to a girl and we were upside down much of that time to boot. I did wear a parachute but not because I was worried about her flying she said I had too, One of my most exciting flights RIGHT DIANA???:D
Right!! :D It was a fun flight. :yes:

I think you'll find that POA is a great group who doesn't care what gender you are. If you are wondering though, there are a fair amount of great lady pilots on here including Mari, Kimberly, Diana, me and many others. If the guys give you any lip, theres enough of us to beat them up. ;)

The babes and airplanes are a great group too. Many of those members are also POA members. Unfortunately they're not as active as POA or with as many members but very much filled with good hearted ladies.

I think you'll find that POA is a great group who doesn't care what gender you are. If you are wondering though, there are a fair amount of great lady pilots on here including Mari, Kimberly, Diana, me and many others. If the guys give you any lip, theres enough of us to beat them up. ;)

The babes and airplanes are a great group too. Many of those members are also POA members. Unfortunately they're not as active as POA or with as many members but very much filled with good hearted ladies.

Don't forget Jeanie! And many others. I just say Jeanie because I had a great pilot story telling session with her recently. But it sounds like the OP knows of Jeanie already.

All men are pigs.

Or, so I have been told.

Originally Posted by Michele
How many male pilots have right seated with a girl pilot in the left seat where that girl pilot that wasn't a CFI or significant other? .
Sure, bunch of times. As to the paucity of pilots, women and men: As little as pilots understand this, the vast majority of people, more women than men, have absolutely no desire to pilot an airplane, in fact, most people would be very happy to never get in a plane and the only reason they do is because they need to get somewhere far away. Out of all the people I've had in a plane, less than half of the non pilots took the controls when offered.

The other primary factor is cost, it's bloody expensive and most people would rather spend that $500+ a month on other things. I don't mean to discourage another forum for the social context, but to think that it will have any significant effect on women pilot numbers, I have serious reservations.

People who want and can afford to become pilots do it already. It's not like GA is a great secret, it's just very expensive and low practicality except for a very limited set of circumstances. If you want to see more pilots, invent a $25,000 VTOL craft that hauls 2000lbs, is the size of a minivan, gets 30mpg and cruises 180kts.

Last edited:

You are so talking about Babes and Airplanes. :blowingkisses:

Geez, No, not at all. It was prompted by a recent encounter with some arrogant insensitive male pilots

You should read the info on how the Babes were founded... Long time ago before POA when the AOPA board were unrulely some frog (not having redeemd himself well enough to ke kissed by a princess) got into with the ladies on the AOPA board. The ladied formed their own board where they could kick off all unreformed frogs for a nicer enviroment.

Back