any feedback on a straight leg Saratoga?

trackersocha

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
trackersocha
I have been looking at the chrokee6, and just found out about the toga. I am not even sure what questions to ask, but any input would be nice

Great plane. I know two folks with them. They float a little more than the Hershey bar Six.

I owned one for 9 years and about 700 hours. What do you want to know?

what flight plan speed, any usual problems, it is harder to find info about it. the Cherokee 6 is everywhere, not the fixed Saratoga. what useful do most have?

Mine was an '83. I would flight plan for 135kts and get 140 to 145 at 7k - 9k on 15.5 - 16.5 GPH depending upon weight. Useful was just over 1500 lbs. Engine is about as robust as the come in this game and I never had any major issues that I didn't cause myself. You'd almost have to intentionally do something stupid to get it out of CG limits. No bad habits except that it does have rather different landing characteristics based upon weight. A full checkout with a CFI including all areas of the loading envelope is recommended. I owned mine for 9 years and about 700 hours and in that time I figure it cost about $185/hr to operate all in. Charts, insurance, fuel, MX, reserves, everything.

She's a dirt simple, fat, comfortable, load hauling sweetheart. As long as you're comfortable feeding an IO-540 to only go 140kts you'll have no issues. The only difference that I'm aware of between the FG Saratoga and the 6x is they tended to lose useful load due to nicer interiors and gear.

how is it different than a 6x?

The 6X is a stripped down version of the Saratoga, if it were a car it would be the "ad car" :lol: They have lighter less luxurious interiors, lesser avionics package and most didn't have A/C.:yikes: I friend of mine bought one, he actually searched for one because is was lighter and had a higher useful load, for him and his wife to fly around the southeast.:dunno: He's got more money than a normal person could ever spend, but he's frugal about his plane!:dunno:

Back