Any favorite stories about Meigs?

Matthew

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Matthew
I've only been flying since after the Meigs fiasco, and never been very far from home.

A couple months ago we took a family vacation to Chicago and spent a day at the Field Museum.

Until I went there, I never realized just how close to downtown Meigs really was. It is (was) RIGHT THERE.

I pointed out to my wife where the airport used to be, she said "You mean the one the mayor bulldozed one night? Wow, that really IS right downtown."

Once I saw it myself, I really started taking it personally.

Anybody have any 'good' stories to share about it?

Matt

I've only been flying since after the Meigs fiasco, and never been very far from home.

A couple months ago we took a family vacation to Chicago and spent a day at the Field Museum.

Until I went there, I never realized just how close to downtown Meigs really was. It is (was) RIGHT THERE.

I pointed out to my wife where the airport used to be, she said "You mean the one the mayor bulldozed one night? Wow, that really IS right downtown."

Once I saw it myself, I really started taking it personally.

Anybody have any 'good' stories to share about it?

Matt

On my first GA flight ever, we took off from Palwaukee (KPWK, now Chicago Executive), went to the lakeshore, headed south, contacted Meigs tower (KCGX, now defunct), got permission for a low pass, dir the Eisenhower transition over the city westward, then back up to Palwaukee. It's part of what got me hooked on GA and flying.

I'm just watching for the day when Chicago Executive tries to get the old KCGX identifier! :(

I flew in to Meigs twice before the 'event'.

Once was with the flying club from school. We took 2 172's up there for the afternoon. Got a cab into downtown and spent all day taking in the sights. Back out before dark that night.

March of the year it closed, I flew my girlfriend at the time up there for St. Patrick's day weekend. We got up there well after dark. We approached from the SW and got sequenced for a left downwind for 18 which put us out over the lake. Turned base abeam (and below) the skyscrapers downtown. She was very impressed and so was I! Very cool experience indeed. We parked the plane at Meigs, took a cab to the hotel and spent all weekend enjoying the green beer and parades. :)

I've flown into MDW several times as well, but the experience is never the same as CGX.

The somewhat ironic thing about Meigs is that we routinely used it because it was the closest airport to downtown. Didn't think anything about it, or nothing more than all the others around the country. A bit pricey, but worth it due to the quick access. Then one day it was gone.

I always figured on making a special trip to Chicago, land at Meigs, see the sights, several days of fine dining and staying in a nice downtown hotel.

Now, I won't. Spend. A. Dime. In. Chicago.

Ever.

Ever.
Well said Spike. I remember being Tommy's age (actually way younger) playing flight simulator looking forward to the day that I could land at Meigs. By the time I got my pilots certificate it was gone. I have not and I will not give Chicago money.

The somewhat ironic thing about Meigs is that we routinely used it because it was the closest airport to downtown. Didn't think anything about it, or nothing more than all the others around the country. A bit pricey, but worth it due to the quick access. Then one day it was gone.

No kidding. I had been to Meigs a couple times to attend a trade show at McCormick 20 or more years ago and had planned to take my family and another friend or two there to visit the museums and the Aquarium. But somehow I hadn't quite gotten a round tuit before Daley did the deed. I eventually did make the trip using Midway but it would have been much easier via Meigs.

I always figured on making a special trip to Chicago, land at Meigs, see the sights, several days of fine dining and staying in a nice downtown hotel.

Ever.

I'd be willing to spend many dimes in Chigago...

... getting rid of Duh Mare!

This is part of why I was so upset when the Ninety-Nines opted to hold their 2009 International Conference in Chicago. I don't think that many of the members of the Chicago Chapter were too happy when it was voted on. In the suburbs, maybe. But don't give a dime to Daley!

I had a birthday coming up, a club plane booked, and tickets to a Dennis Deyoung concert. (And a wife that was looking forward to the trip) Cancelled the trip, developed a strong disgust for daley & co. A landing at Miegs was part of the whole experience.

I had a birthday coming up, a club plane booked, and tickets to a Dennis Deyoung concert. (And a wife that was looking forward to the trip) Cancelled the trip, developed a strong disgust for daley & co. A landing at Miegs was part of the whole experience.

Well THAT'S the only good thing I heard coming out of Meigs being bulldozed. :D

///Styx played my high school

Well THAT'S the only good thing I heard coming out of Meigs being bulldozed. :D

///Styx played my high school

As much as I used to like their music, The venues they play are getting back to high school sizes again. :( (sans Dennis)

Well said Spike. I remember being Tommy's age (actually way younger) playing flight simulator looking forward to the day that I could land at Meigs. By the time I got my pilots certificate it was gone. I have not and I will not give Chicago money.

Second. I wish I didn't have to go there for trade shows or transfers between flights.

Da mare closed Meigs for "security reasons" NYC actually had the planes fly into the WTC and the Cory Lidel incident, yet the Mayor of NYC didn't lobby to shut down the Hudson river Corridor nor Linden airport. That and pizza is why New York is better than Chicago:D

Da mare closed Meigs for "security reasons" NYC actually had the planes fly into the WTC and the Cory Lidel incident, yet the Mayor of NYC didn't lobby to shut down the Hudson river Corridor nor Linden airport. That and pizza is why New York is better than Chicago:D

Absolutely!

Baseball -- not so much.

Was going to take Mrs. Steingar there, but had to scrub for weather. Then they bulldozed the strip. None of my money will ever go to Chicago ever. With the bad shape that place is in I'm surprised they put up with Daley.

Was going to take Mrs. Steingar there, but had to scrub for weather. Then they bulldozed the strip. None of my money will ever go to Chicago ever. With the bad shape that place is in I'm surprised they put up with Daley.

That stinks.

What's sad is there wasn't even an opportunity for pilots to get "one last flight" in there. I flew to Bader Field in Atlantic City a couple times during its last few months, just so I could say I had done it. You guys never got that same chance. :mad:

What really stinks is the recent report saying Chicago could really use another airport!

This is part of why I was so upset when the Ninety-Nines opted to hold their 2009 International Conference in Chicago. I don't think that many of the members of the Chicago Chapter were too happy when it was voted on. In the suburbs, maybe. But don't give a dime to Daley!

Grant
This is the way I felt too, although I will probably attend.
Linda

The first time I flew into Meigs, I was a passenger in the back seat of a Cherokee 180 flying down from Racine, WI. I'm 6' tall, and -- after the 50-minute flight -- I had to be helped out of the back. (Pre-1973 Cherokees have NO leg room in the back, and both legs had fallen asleep!)

Nonetheless, it was a magical experience. After "flying" into Meigs on "Flight Simulator" since the very first Artisoft versions, it felt very familiar, and wonderful. We had a pop, hit the potty, paid the landing fee, and left. It was gorgeous.

The second time was as PIC, coming in from Iowa City, IA. Mary wasn't a pilot yet, and I was pretty wet-behind-the-ears, still, so flying into Chicago airspace was a "Big Deal". Add a friend who brought another friend to the mix, and you've got a fairly high-stress, high workload flight.

I put more planning into that flight than I do now to fly to Florida, and it all went perfectly. We had a wonderful time in Chicago, seeing the museums, etc. That airport was PERFECT for a day trip into downtown.

My last flight into Meigs was two days after the national airspace reopened after 9/11. We were so thankful to have our flying rights restored that we decided to do a special flight to exercise those rights -- and Meigs immediately came to mind.

The flight in was poignant, with all ATC personnel both tense and thankful to hear us "little guys" flying again. The arrival was terribly sad, however, as we weren't allowed to get out of the plane. Instead, we were met at our airplane by armed security guards who forced us to ride in their SUV to the terminal, even though it was just a few dozen yards away.

Mary and I were with our then-7-year-old daughter, and our 10-year-old son, and were clearly not members of the "German-American-Terrorist-Division" of Al Queda, but that didn't stop "Chicago's finest" from wanding my little girl. I'll never forget the confused, scared look in her eyes as the police roughly checked her for explosives and weapons...

Getting off the airport peninsula to get into downtown was very difficult. We finally got a cab through security to pick us up (they wouldn't let us walk), and it was (of course) driven by an Arab-looking guy who barely spoke any English. I truly thought we were going to be shot when the cabbie tried to drive AROUND the police check-point without stopping! I don't know if he figured that he'd just come through it going the other way, or what, but the Chicago police had their guns drawn and were screaming at him to stop, while my family cowered in the back seat.

We had a good time eating at Ed Debovic's, but it all felt weird and wrong. Gone were the welcoming smiles, replaced by paranoia and suspicion in those tense, post-9/11 days. We flew home with heavy hearts, and it wasn't long afterwards that King Daley bulldozed the runways. I've never willingly set foot in Chicago since, and have refused to attend every meeting, conference, or trade show that has been scheduled there since.

It's not much, but it's all we can do. I won't go back until Daley is either dead, out of office, or both.

It's not much, but it's all we can do. I won't go back until Daley is either dead, out of office, or both.

Jay,

Daley will be re-elected even after he is dead by all the dead voters in Chicago...

Dean

Back