Any experience in Higher power hangar door

benyflyguy

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
benyflyguy
We are putting in a Higher Power hangar door for our new hangar. Anybody out there have one or have any experience with them. We are past the design phase and already in construction and now having some concerns.
While certainly cool and open with relative ease compared to sliding doors one big concern that recently came to light was that the two motors run independently of each other and have to me monitored while opening and closing door to make sure there is no misalignment issue if the motors get out of sync. Sounds like only a few inches out of alignment and the door can jam?! How can someone monitor that when it’s 10-15 feet in the air and rising. There is a big one, bigger then ours down at KMDT that we plan on contacting someone down there to see if they have had any issues.

Yes........... One should always monitor a door when in operation. They should be well lubed.....often.

A couple of my neighbors (airpark) have Higher Power doors. No problems at all after a couple years of daily and twice-daily operation. I have a Powerlift door, which also is fine. If I was doing it all over, I’d go with Higher Power because the stanchions take the load off the building itself.

Necroposting on this thread but wondering if anyone else has any feedback on Higher Power?

I'm just getting started on putting together a list of wants/must-haves for an airpark build, and I ran across several people that had recommendations for Higher Power on Facebook. I have skeptical, bordering on cynical, views of Facebook posts so any feedback would be helpful.

I did a 42' by 12' Higher Power door on my hangar last year and am very happy with it. Operation has been solid and no issues to date. The remote control option comes in handy.

The company was very helpful during the design and ordering phases and kept me in the loop regarding lead time and shipping. My contractor and I were able to assemble and install it ourselves following the provided instructions with no previous experience. All needed hardware was included though having my contractor's tool collection and a rented telehandler came in handy. I was able to install siding on it that matches the rest of the hangar and the house which made the HOA happy. We did call with a couple of questions during the installation and had our questions quickly answered.

My airpark neighbors went with the Horton Stack door which they have liked. Higher Power seemed like a better value when comparing the two. Schweiss wouldn't provide final specs to my engineer until I placed an order for the door, so they got dropped as an option.

Our condo hangars got rebuilt with 24 of them, I have not heard of any major problems with them post installation. My particular door had issues closing perfectly vertical, solved that by actually installing the plates for the lower latching hooks to grab onto (builder had left them uninstalled). It makes for a nice rain canopy when open if you park your car under it.

Cool, thanks for the feedback. Definitely going to get a quote from them. I've seen very little negative about them. I like the concept of having the door put no vertical load on the hangar itself. I'm just not directly familiar with hydraulic doors like this, but theirs seems to address some of the complaints other hydraulic doors have.

Am I the only one the read the title, and thought "So Jesus is opening their hanger door?"

If so, I would expect it to work pretty well, but it might attract attention. And questions. "So, rather than bring him over to meet the family and friends, you asked him to stay here and work the door for you?"

Sorry for derail...

Back