Any dream interpreters here?

Dave Krall CFII said:
I'd like to hear more about those kinds too but I'll give you one of my AvDreams of about 5 years ago in the meantime :

A flight student and I are walking around a grass airstrip on a farm meadow next to the hay barn, its high walls shining bright silver in the summer afternoon. A good sized aerobatic biplane does a low level routine above that although quite enjoyable, is nothing compared to the finale of a swooping climb up to an imminent stall at MCA right in front of the huge hay loft door on the second story, and then onto the hay loft floor just as lift runs out for the 3 point landing. ("outstanding airfoil control" I think to myself...)

It is then that 3 or 4 non-pilot, circus type acrobats jump lightly from the cockpit to pivot the biplane for its next takeoff out the door, then prance smiling, to the edge and do over-acted bows and curtsies to the small crowd below. They then join the actual pilot down in the meadow, who is a gray haired old man in overalls eating at the BBQ with a big smile and chatting with us in the small group standing around. All very pleasant indeed. We then walk across the grass to our high wing and takeoff.
It sounds like you have a preoccupation with size. And I do believe I've not ever encountered a barn made of polished aluminum, but this is a av dream, yes?

The prevailing combination of fantasy and reality suggests you wish to break away from the ordinary and commonplace routine of your current existence. IOW, you need some excitement in your life. Are you a high sensation seeker?

Richard said:
It sounds like you have a preoccupation with size. And I do believe I've not ever encountered a barn made of polished aluminum, but this is a av dream, yes?

The prevailing combination of fantasy and reality suggests you wish to break away from the ordinary and commonplace routine of your current existence. IOW, you need some excitement in your life. Are you a high sensation seeker?

Yes.

edit: (Barn surface was actually weathered old barnwood. I should have been more clear, and have edited original post accordingly. But perhaps the omission itself is significant as well, facilitating an easier opportunity for polished aluminium that the traditional aviator craves)

Dave Krall CFII said:
Yes.

edit: (Barn surface was actually weathered old barnwood. I should have been more clear, and have edited original post accordingly. But perhaps the omission itself is significant as well, facilitating an easier opportunity for polished aluminium that the traditional aviator craves)
Showing your charge around a buccolic setting with weathered barn and grass strip in the sunshine would make me salivate. Woof.

Re: The infamous Buttonwillow incident?

etsisk said:
Ok, I'll bite! Any chance you could elaborate for those of us who weren't here to hear it?
Tom, it was a dark and stormy night..............

Oh, wait, that's tonight! Cold front passage, yay!

Anyway, Michael and I were trying to get to Paso Robles to meet Richard. It was looking good according to the TAF, so off we went across the mountains. I call the first picture "Merrily on our way".

#2 would be named "Hmmmmmm" I took a picture of Michael right about then and he almost jumped out of his seat when the flash went off. Oops. :)

#3 would be "Why are they videotaping us as we taxi in?"

#4 is a picture of Michael calling Richard. Can't remember what all he told Richard other than "we won't be there". Michael will have to fill in the rest.

The nice men at Buttonwillow shared their picnic lunch with us. It was lunch time, we were hungry and we were weathered in, seemingly in the middle of nowhere without food, water or a bathroom. :eek: We found out later that this was a deserted drug-runners strip. :eek:

Oops, have to get off now because of the storms. Michael, it's your turn. :)

Diana said:

Oh, wait, that's tonight! Cold front passage, yay!

Anyway, Michael and I were trying to get to Paso Robles to meet Richard. It was looking good according to the TAF, so off we went across the mountains. I call the first picture "Merrily on our way".

#2 would be named "Hmmmmmm" I took a picture of Michael right about then and he almost jumped out of his seat when the flash went off. Oops. :)

#3 would be "Why are they videotaping us as we taxi in?"

#4 is a picture of Michael calling Richard. Can't remember what all he told Richard other than "we won't be there". Michael will have to fill in the rest.

The nice men at Buttonwillow shared their picnic lunch with us. It was lunch time, we were hungry and we were weathered in, seemingly in the middle of nowhere without food, water or a bathroom. :eek: We found out later that this was a deserted drug-runners strip. :eek:

In case Michael 'forgets' this tidbit: it was P6sm FEW 028 or better all quadrants from your position with the exception, of course, of your position. The trouble was, wherever you go, there you are. That describes the "Mooney Miracle".

Diana said:

That about sums it up. We somehow managed to get socked in while flying to meet up with Richard. Ended up landing in the middle of nowhere at a drug running strip...ButtonWillow. there were some people out there playing with their remote controlled airplanes, and when we landed they must have thought we were cool because we flew a much bigger one, so they fed us. Diana has a knack of making herself at home and have fun, wherever she is, so we made the best of it.

Richard said:
In case Michael 'forgets' this tidbit: it was P6sm FEW 028 or better all quadrants from your position with the exception, of course, of your position. The trouble was, wherever you go, there you are. That describes the "Mooney Miracle".

Yea, but i think its getting better. :goofy: I managed to make it home the last few times out.

Buttonwillow? Thanks, Diana and Michael!

I appreciate the story! I'm glad that the only thing those guys on the ground were running was RC's!!

... and they just SAY it's "abandoned". . . ;)

Michael said:
That about sums it up. We somehow managed to get socked in while flying to meet up with Richard. Ended up landing in the middle of nowhere at a drug running strip...ButtonWillow. there were some people out there playing with their remote controlled airplanes, and when we landed they must have thought we were cool because we flew a much bigger one, so they fed us. Diana has a knack of making herself at home and have fun, wherever she is, so we made the best of it.

Yea, but i think its getting better. :goofy: I managed to make it home the last few times out.
Tell me if this isn't true. You flying solo, MVFR-IMC; Diana with you, wind; Nick, broken parts; me, clear skies.:dunno:

Richard said:
Tell me if this isn't true. You flying solo, MVFR-IMC; Diana with you, wind; Nick, broken parts; me, clear skies.:dunno:

Clear Skies and free stuff :)

Hey! Get a load of this! I just took the horse lady flying (in reference to the "Horse ran by my window" thread). As I was on short final over the trees, she told me that when she first moved into her house she had a dream that I crashed into her house! :eek:

We had a nice flight this evening. She's never been in a "little" airplane before. Found out she talks to her horse like I talk to my airplane. :) Women who love their steeds. :)

I request dream analysis please, ok, here we go:

I have a recurring dream about once a week. It is quite disturbing to me. I'm not losing sleep over it, but when I wake up I think, "What the heck!".

The dream is relatively short, I have to use my firearm and when I discharge the firearm, the bullets land in front of me and never go anywhere, or they firearms don't shoot at all. I used to have this dream more frequently, but for the last 3 years it has not occured as much as it used too. Also, it happens more often and are more vivid when I'm not in a long deep sleep (if there is such a thing).

Thanks in advance!

kellyo said:

I have a recurring dream about once a week. It is quite disturbing to me. I'm not losing sleep over it, but when I wake up I think, "What the heck!".

The dream is relatively short, I have to use my firearm and when I discharge the firearm, the bullets land in front of me and never go anywhere, or they firearms don't shoot at all. I used to have this dream more frequently, but for the last 3 years it has not occured as much as it used too. Also, it happens more often and are more vivid when I'm not in a long deep sleep (if there is such a thing).

Thanks in advance!

This sounds very similar to a dream I used to have where I'd get into a fight with someone and punch as hard as I could, but I could only lightly touch the people I was trying to hit - like being underwater. I was told it had something to do with a frustration in my life that I was unable to deal with personally.

NickDBrennan said:
This sounds very similar to a dream I used to have where I'd get into a fight with someone and punch as hard as I could, but I could only lightly touch the people I was trying to hit - like being underwater. I was told it had something to do with a frustration in my life that I was unable to deal with personally.

It could be life's frustration for these types of widespread and classic dreams/nightmares but I've thought that more likey the logic works in reverse because during sleep's dream stage, chemical inhibitors are secreted to the parts of the brain that initiate muscle inputs in the body (and also for speech). The resultant near-paralysis is quite real and is to protect the body from the dangers of flailing limbs, running in the dark, etc. (I can think of other incidental advantages for the voice paralysis !)

Dave Krall CFII said:
It could be life's frustration for these types of widespread and classic dreams/nightmares but I've thought that more likey the logic works in reverse because during sleep's dream stage, chemical inhibitors are secreted to the parts of the brain that initiate muscle inputs in the body (and also for speech). The resultant near-paralysis is quite real and is to protect the body from the dangers of flailing limbs, running in the dark, etc. (I can think of other incidental advantages for the voice paralysis !)

Thats funny, because last night, I guess I tried to kick my blanket to adjust it or something and the next thing I know, I was on the ground, near tears, frantically rubbing my calf muscle, trying to get the cramp to go down.

I still don't know what happened, but I can assume its the same thing that used to happen to me when I'd swim too long. I'd get dehydrated, and over extend the muscle in my calf, which would then tense up and produce the most excruciating pain I've ever experienced.

What a wonderful way to wake up :)

NickDBrennan said:
Thats funny, because last night, I guess I tried to kick my blanket to adjust it or something and the next thing I know, I was on the ground, near tears, frantically rubbing my calf muscle, trying to get the cramp to go down.

I still don't know what happened, but I can assume its the same thing that used to happen to me when I'd swim too long. I'd get dehydrated, and over extend the muscle in my calf, which would then tense up and produce the most excruciating pain I've ever experienced.

What a wonderful way to wake up :)

Were you dreaming at the time and/or low on electrolytes ?

Last edited:
Dave Krall CFII said:
Were you dreaming at the time and/or low on electrolytes ?

Not a clue. The only thing I remember is waking up trying to stop the intense pain in my leg!

kellyo said:
The dream is relatively short, I have to use my firearm and when I discharge the firearm, the bullets land in front of me and never go anywhere, or they firearms don't shoot at all.
Kelly, I don't have a clue, but I'm thinking Freud would have a field day with this one.

I used to have a BB gun that was so old and feeble that I could see the BB shoot out and fall down to the ground in front of me. My husband finally bought me a new Red Ryder for Christmas a few years ago. Complete with the saddle ring with the leather thong. :)

Edit...The thong is on the gun handle. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Diana said:
Kelly, I don't have a clue, but I'm thinking Freud would have a field day with this one.

I used to have a BB gun that was so old and feeble that I could see the BB shoot out and fall down to the ground in front of me. My husband finally bought me a new Red Ryder for Christmas a few years ago. Complete with the saddle ring with the leather thong. :)

Edit...The thong is on the gun handle. :rolleyes:

The leather thong is right on the actual gun handle ?

Last edited:
kellyo said:

Thanks in advance!

you're shootin' blanks? :D

Dave Krall CFII said:
The leather thong is right on the actual gun handle?
Well, I somehow knew this would come up. :)

I'm not sure what the actual purpose of the thong is. Mostly decorative? If I still had my Annie Oakley outfit from when I was 8 years old, I'm sure it would match the fringe. :D

Here's the actual description from Daisy:

http://www.daisy.com/shopping/customer/product.php?productid=16141&cat=249&page=1

And here's my Red Ryder with the thong on the gun handle:

Diana said:
And here's my Red Ryder with the thong on the gun handle:

She flys airplanes, drives tractors, and shoots BB guns. Diana, you're quite cool!

Technically the leather thong is hanging from a saddle ring which is attached to the receiver, or at least that's the replication. So, who remembers "You'll shoot your eye out!"

gkainz said:
Technically the leather thong is hanging from a saddle ring which is attached to the receiver, or at least that's the replication. So, who remembers "You'll shoot your eye out!"

I thought it was, "It's all fun and games until someone puts an eye out"

Bill Jennings said:
I thought it was, "It's all fun and games until someone puts an eye out"
I don't recall where your quote came from, but the one I'm thinking about is directly associated with "a Daisy Red Ryder BB gun".

BTW, I still have not forgiven my mother for throwing out a box of 5¢ Red Ryder comic books that I had stashed away in the attic...

Last edited:
gkainz said:
I don't recall where your quote came from, but the one I'm thinking about is directly associated with "a Daisy Red Rider BB gun".

BTW, I still have not forgiven my mother for throwing out a box of 5¢ Red Rider comic books that I had stashed away in the attic...

Maybe I mis-quoted, but I'm thinking of "A Christmas Story" from the 80's.

Bill Jennings said:
She flys airplanes, drives tractors, and shoots BB guns. Diana, you're quite cool!
Aw, now Bill, you're making me blush. That's sweet! :redface:

Actually, I never hit anything with my mighty Red Ryder. Although, Tom accidently shot the air conditioner with the rifle one night. Then we heard a "hissssssssssssss" sound. Be sure to ask him about that at Gaston's. :D

Diana said:
Then we heard a "hissssssssssssss" sound.

I shot a snake once that made that same sound. Wasn't on accident though.

Bill Jennings said:
Maybe I mis-quoted, but I'm thinking of "A Christmas Story" from the 80's.
Bill, that's the one I was thinking about too. A funny movie.

I have got to brush up on my speed reading skills.

All I saw was "You're making me blush...", "Diana" and "thong". I'll let you connect the dots there... :D

kellyo said:
I shot a snake once that made that same sound. Wasn't on accident though.
Oh, dear. Was it poisonous?

Well, here's another farm story. :D

Tom was going to mow the orchard and I had accidently chased a snake up into a tree that he would be driving under. I was worried that the snake would drop on him as he was mowing. So I tried to shoot it with my BB gun, but kept missing. So I threw a shovel at it. The shovel stuck in the tree next to the snake. So when Tom was mowing he had not only the snake, but a shovel that might have dropped on his head. :eek:

Brian Austin said:
I have got to brush up on my speed reading skills.

All I saw was "You're making me blush...", "Diana" and "thong". I'll let you connect the dots there... :D

LOL! I can't keep up with these guys. :rolleyes:

Diana said:
Oh, dear. Was it poisonous?
:eek:

It was a bullsnake, I don't know. I don't think bullsnakes are poisonous. It was partially ran over on the highway, and was just slithering in pain, so I shot it with a scatter gun. We drove back by about 3 hours later and it was gone, probably eatten. Hakuna matata.

Back