Any dream interpreters here?

SkyHog

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Everything Offends Me
This is weird:

The last few nights, I have been having the craziest dreams, and while I'm never overly concerned about my dreams, for some reason, I'm curious what these dreams mean.

They all involve me crashing an airplane. Its always a survivable crash, and its always a stupid mistake on my part. I'm filled with a feeling of embarrassment, such that I can't face the other pilots I know (in the dream), and become ostracized afterwards because of the stupid decision I made.

For example, last night, I was flying with a friend and was landing at a runway on my school campus (I can't explain that, my school doesn't have a runway on it). I decide to roll inverted on the approach, and right before I come down, I roll upright to land, and hit a tree just shy of the runway. Its like a big gnarly tree with thick limbs. The plane tumbles over the trees and sticks like a dagger into the ground. Afterwards, everyone tells me how stupid I am, and all of my previous CFIs make an appearance to tell me what a dumb mistake I made.

The night before that, I was flying out in the mountains, and trying to mirror the layout of the ground, when I hit a down draft or something and the plane crashes into the ground, sliding along it. I don't remember the details really, but I distinctly remember having to face all of the other people (including the partners in my plane), and explain why I was doing it. I couldn't explain it very well, and once again, everyone tells me how stupid I was.

Any clues what this is all about?

Blame it on too much fun in the '60's and '70's, oh wait you are probably not
old enough for that. Stress, yea that's it. Works for me
Don

These dreams are common of the low time pyerot. The crash is the manifestation of the element of consciousness or sense of reality-based self which is apparant in every dream. It is a connecting tendril to reality. It's survivable because it has to be: to dream your own death is hopeless defeatism and represents an intolerable conclusion to the ego.

You are embarrassed because your perception of your skill is that it is founded on knowledge through which you derive your identity. Either that perception is in error or your knowledge is faulty. Your ego demands that the perception is accurate, therefore the knowledge must be at fault. Your knowledge was insufficient to ensure a positive resolution to the event presented in your dream. Therefore, knowledge (identity) is perceived as inadequate and it is this which you project onto your peer group. You must project this sense of inadequacy in order to validate and to preserve your perception of self. (If your perceptions match that of others there is validation)

The altering of the physical world (the campus rwy) conveys the perception that it is possible for you to actually do this. This self-actualizing thought allows you the luxury to believe you are master of your fate. You decide to test that perception by rolling inverted which, because of a permeating sense of inadequacy, does not quite pan out. Either that or the impetuous self did not engage in enough, or trust it's own, critical thought by thinking it through to the logical conclusion. Yes, your conscious self 'knew' better but the subconscious, not trusting the self, needed empirical proof which was more than adequately provided by the crash.

If you will recall, the tree was not present when you decided to roll inverted. Once you realized you were in trouble you conjured the tree as a surrogate obstacle to which you could assign 'blame' for the not so positive outcome of your foolhardiness. Interestingly, the tree became more pervasive (ever larger obstacle and thickening gnarly tree limbs) the more you realized your error. This allows the ego to remain intact, however the subconscious is still not convinced.

No one really told you how stupid you were, it was your subconscious telling the self how stupid that was. This explains how one is able to kick oneself for having done something which they knew better.

Having committed the deed it only gets worse. The plane tumbling and sticking like a dagger is just a manifestation of the self-flagellation which we inflict which occurs after the subconscious regains authority over the juvenile self. Your CFIs and others which you perceive as possessing superior attributes appear in order for you to complete the process of repentance which your subconscious dictates.

The terrain hugging mtn flying is only another exhibition of the self-aggrandizing self.

With the accumulation of more flight hours these dreams typically cease.

Richard said:
These dreams are common of the low time pyerot. The crash is the manifestation of the element of consciousness or sense of reality-based self which is apparant in every dream. It is a connecting tendril to reality. It's survivable because it has to be: to dream your own death is hopeless defeatism and represents an intolerable conclusion to the ego.

You are embarrassed because your perception of your skill is that it is founded on knowledge through which you derive your identity. Either that perception is in error or your knowledge is faulty. Your ego demands that the perception is accurate, therefore the knowledge must be at fault. Your knowledge was insufficient to ensure a positive resolution to the event presented in your dream. Therefore, knowledge (identity) is perceived as inadequate and it is this which you project onto your peer group. You must project this sense of inadequacy in order to validate and to preserve your perception of self. (If your perceptions match that of others there is validation)

The altering of the physical world (the campus rwy) conveys the perception that it is possible for you to actually do this. This self-actualizing thought allows you the luxury to believe you are master of your fate. You decide to test that perception by rolling inverted which, because of a permeating sense of inadequacy, does not quite pan out. Either that or the impetuous self did not engage in enough, or trust it's own, critical thought by thinking it through to the logical conclusion. Yes, your conscious self 'knew' better but the subconscious, not trusting the self, needed empirical proof which was more than adequately provided by the crash.

If you will recall, the tree was not present when you decided to roll inverted. Once you realized you were in trouble you conjured the tree as a surrogate obstacle to which you could assign 'blame' for the not so positive outcome of your foolhardiness. Interestingly, the tree became more pervasive (ever larger obstacle and thickening gnarly tree limbs) the more you realized your error. This allows the ego to remain intact, however the subconscious is still not convinced.

No one really told you how stupid you were, it was your subconscious telling the self how stupid that was. This explains how one is able to kick oneself for having done something which they knew better.

Having committed the deed it only gets worse. The plane tumbling and sticking like a dagger is just a manifestation of the self-flagellation which we inflict which occurs after the subconscious regains authority over the juvenile self. Your CFIs and others which you perceive as possessing superior attributes appear in order for you to complete the process of repentance which your subconscious dictates.

The terrain hugging mtn flying is only another exhibition of the self-aggrandizing self.

Wwwhhhooooeee...
Not bad Richard.
That in depth dream analysis was done well enough to bill him for it but if you did, his dreams might turn into nightmares !

Last edited:
Dave Krall CFII said:
Whhhooooeee...
Not bad Richard, but if you bill him for that in depth dream analysis his dreams may turn to nightmares !
During our next visit we can discuss personality types with a propensity towards invoking non-winnable high risk scenarios and illusions of grandeur.

Richard said:

Wow! That's amazing, Richard. Thanks for the information. It makes sense, too!

Any clues what this is all about?[/QUOTE]

Nick I am a professional and from what I read I would call it

SFS or Sexual Frustration Syndrome. Many who have this problem and do not even realize, but then again many do. Not to worry there are cures and help.

No Charge This time

Nick;
Didn't you just buy a plane? (Or some part there of) Are the dreams questionie a Lancairng your sanity for such a purpose? If you're not an great pilot then surely (and don't call me Shirley!) your discission to buy into a plane must be faulty.
Myself, I dream of winning the MegaMillions for a quarter of a million. That's based on the fact I'd love a Lancair but can barely afford the Warrior.
Money is cure my dreams, flying yours. Go fly!

Richard said:
These dreams are common of the low time pyerot. The crash is the manifestation of the element of consciousness or sense of reality-based self which is apparant in every dream. It is a connecting tendril to reality. . . . S N I P . . .
Either you stayed at a Holiday Inn Express or you should be charging for consultations.

I always dream about meeting strange women in the back seat of old Cherokees.

Richard...Forget about learning more about mixture controll...I wanna learn how to talk like you do!

WOW! It was so good and over my head i got glazed eyes by the third sentance.
Brilliant.

SCCutler said:

Wearing spike heels? Sorry, couldn't resist. :)

My worst airplane dream happened out in California last February. It was the night before I was scheduled for spin training. I was very apprehensive about it before hand and had done only a few spins before with instructors.

I had a dream that I was standing on the ground while Tom and I were flying a Beech Staggerwing (and they say you can’t be in two places at once, ha!). We got into an accidental spin and I watched in horror as we spun all the way to the ground and crashed. I woke up crying. The drive out to the airport that morning was tough.

Diana said:
My worst airplane dream happened out in California last February. It was the night before I was scheduled for spin training. I was very apprehensive about it before hand and had done only a few spins before with instructors.

I had a dream that I was standing on the ground while Tom and I were flying a Beech Staggerwing (and they say you can’t be in two places at once, ha!). We got into an accidental spin and I watched in horror as we spun all the way to the ground and crashed. I woke up crying. The drive out to the airport that morning was tough.

Was that the day of the infamous ButtonWillow incident? :eek:

Michael said:
Was that the day of the infamous ButtonWillow incident? :eek:
It was about a week after the infamous Buttonwillow incident and the day before our helicopter ride.

BTW, here's my favorite picture from Buttonwillow:

Diana said:
It was about a week after the infamous Buttonwillow incident and the day before our helicopter ride.

Ah yes, The "you are here" photo :)
Thanks Diana

Nick,

Just quit eating those Super Suicide Chili Cheese Dogs with Extra Slaw and Onions as a midnight snack. That'll clear things up nicely. Worked for me!

No Charge
:vomit:

Sometimes a dream is just a dream.

Your post makes me realize that not once in my 16 years of flying have I had a dream about crashing. I've had lots of flying dreams, usually after I haven't been flying for awhile (that's my clue that I need to get back into the air), but they have all been fun and happy. Either I am supremely confident, supremely competent, or supremely oblivious. OTOH, I do have >1500 incident-free hours, so I have no reason to have bad dreams about flying now, but I didn't have any even back when I was trying to learn how to land.

Actually, my memory is throwing up one dimly remembered dream where I was losing it on approach and was pretty scared, but at the last minute, stabilized and landed smoothly.

Judy

Michael said:
Richard...Forget about learning more about mixture controll...I wanna learn how to talk like you do!

Brilliant.
Stick with learning LOP op. Like my daddy always said, if you can't dazzle 'em with brilliance, baffle 'em with bs. The collory to that is most folks don't know the difference.

silver-eagle said:
Either you stayed at a Holiday Inn Express or you should be charging for consultations.
To charge is to accept liability. I much rather prefer this stick-it-in-your-ear approach to psychology.

Hey Nick,
I have had similar dreams, I have had a dream that i was flying right seat in a Citation and the pilot passed out, all my friends were in the back and i was assuring them it would be ok. Then while on final approach i always wake up.

I have also had dreams that I was flying by myself and i suddenly see another plane and have to veer off hard.

Weird stuff!
When i wake up from the first one i am relieved its not real, but now thinking about it i kinda wish it would finish out, its like ending a movie before the climax scene.

SCCutler said:
I interpret this as a sign of a healthy mind in a normal man. Proceed.

Michael said:

Brilliant.
First things first, grasshoppa. You must learn to spell like me before talk like me. Go clean cars.

Diana said:

I liked the caption Michael supplied with that photo. I was laughing.

Rudy said:
Hey Nick,
I have had similar dreams, I have had a dream that i was flying right seat in a Citation and the pilot passed out, all my friends were in the back and i was assuring them it would be ok. Then while on final approach i always wake up.

I have also had dreams that I was flying by myself and i suddenly see another plane and have to veer off hard.

Weird stuff!
When i wake up from the first one i am relieved its not real, but now thinking about it i kinda wish it would finish out, its like ending a movie before the climax scene.
You'll never finish the app until you are confident you have the ability to make the landing. Dreams are more real than any Hollywood contrived claptrap.

Richard said:
You'll never finish the app until you are confident you have the ability to make the landing. Dreams are more real than any Hollywood contrived claptrap.
I am definitely not completely confident i could make the landing, and i doubt it would be pretty if i had to. I would give an effort though, Haha

In my dreams, I fly with without an airplane...

Carol said:
Wearing spike heels? Sorry, couldn't resist. :)

And fishnet stockings. :)

And I believe Richard is our resident Psychologist, with a PhD I might add. Correct?

NickDBrennan said:
Wow! That's amazing, Richard. Thanks for the information. It makes sense, too!
Nick, you be careful. Often, just because something makes sense doesn't mean it's accurate or correct. The perpetuation of OWT are an example of that.

Let'sgoflying! said:
Hmm, what would Freud say?

He would say that you were not potty trained properly or had some bad experience , then he would go off and do some more cocaine ane dream about doing his own mother.

Diana said:

All this talk about flying dreams got me thinking. I have yet to have a flying dream. Maybe because I only have 300 hours so far, I dunno. Or maybe I just daydream enough about flying to make up the deficit! No nightmares either. But, then again, I have scared myself pretty well a couple of times for real already, and maybe my subconscious doesn't feel the need to up the ante.

Jim G

The infamous Buttonwillow incident?

Diana said:
Ok, I'll bite! Any chance you could elaborate for those of us who weren't here to hear it?

Pleeease?

Richard said:
During our next visit we can discuss personality types with a propensity towards invoking non-winnable high risk scenarios and illusions of grandeur.

I'd like to hear more about those kinds too but I'll give you one of my AvDreams of about 5 years ago in the meantime :

A flight student and I are walking around a grass airstrip on a farm meadow next to the hay barn, its high walls of weathered barnboards shining bright silver gray in the summer afternoon. A good sized aerobatic biplane does a low level routine above that although quite enjoyable, is nothing compared to the finale of a swooping climb up to an imminent stall at MCA right in front of the hangar-sized hay loft door on the second story, and then onto the hay loft floor just as lift runs out for the 3 point landing. ("outstanding airfoil control" I think to myself...)

It is then that 3 or 4 non-pilot, circus type acrobats jump lightly from the cockpit to pivot the biplane for its next takeoff out the door, then prance smiling, to the edge and do over-acted bows and curtsies to the small crowd below. They then join the actual pilot down in the meadow, who is a gray haired old man in overalls eating at the BBQ with a big smile and chatting with us in the small group standing around. All very pleasant indeed. We then walk across the grass to our high wing and takeoff.

Last edited:
Kinda weird, and thanks nick. Last night I had one. I was on the ground by a store that was on the airport..I heard a mooney call short final, i look and see him coming in to land, then out of the blue, a crop duster cuts infront of him and flys real low over the runway. The mooney tries to abort the landing but i see all this wet stuff, like bug spray coming out of the crop duster and engulfing the mooney. The mooney then climbs straight up, and oddly enough, hits a large tree...weird. Then, he falls straight into the ground and bounces off the store and lands on its back. I see the pilots arms out of the cockpit lifeless, i see a very small fire, and am real close to it but am afraid to go help the pilot because i think its gonna blow, not sure if hes dead or not...Then out of nowhere someone comes from behind, and pushes the pilot out of the plane before it explodes. The pilot starts running. I wake up all shook up.

Thanks guys! GRRRR.

Michael

Michael, you think that was wierd. Last night I dreamt I was an Ethel Merman-like chorus singer singing show tunes. I lead the bass and the falsetto middle 8 in a mo-town background vocals group. My wife was the only person in the audience and she heckled me off the stage. Now that's one you just don't want to wake up from and I swear I didn't et any superchilidog or pepperoni pizza.

Last edited:
Richard said:
Michael, you think that was wierd. Last night I dreamt I was an Ethel Merman-like chorus singer signing show tunes. I lead the bass and the falsetto middle 8 in a mo-town background vocals group. My wife was the only person in the audience and she heckled me off the stage. Now that's one you just don't want to wake up from and I swear I didn't et any superchilidog or pepperoni pizza.

LMAO :rofl:

Back