Any disadvantage to letting my medical lapse while out of country?

camel

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Camel
Hi everyone,

My medical certificate is good through the end of March, but I'll be living outside of the US through the end of 2015. I'll be visiting the US in March, so I'll have a chance to renew my medical. Or (I think) I can just let it expire, and renew it when I move back.

Is there any advantage to renewing it without letting it expire? I won't be flying while out of the country in any case. Thanks.

Let it expire. Only reason to renew is if you are 39 you'd get five years out of it. After forty it is only good for three.

Let it expire. Only reason to renew is if you are 39 you'd get five years out of it. After forty it is only good for three.

I'm 42. Is it good for 3 years? I thought it was good for 2 years.. maybe I have another year left! I'll have to double check it.

Thanks for the reply.

If you have the exam when you're still 39, you can go five years.

My bad I thought it was 3. 5 years before 40 and two after? Anyway since op is over 40 I see no reason for a preemptive renewal.

Hi everyone,

My medical certificate is good through the end of March, but I'll be living outside of the US through the end of 2015. I'll be visiting the US in March, so I'll have a chance to renew my medical. Or (I think) I can just let it expire, and renew it when I move back.

Is there any advantage to renewing it without letting it expire? I won't be flying while out of the country in any case. Thanks.

There is no real disadvantage to letting it lapse in that the tests will be the same either way. You will be limited in your ability to go flying in that period, but even then it's still possible with a local CFI.

I'm 42. Is it good for 3 years? I thought it was good for 2 years.. maybe I have another year left! I'll have to double check it.

Thanks for the reply.

How old were you on the day the current one was issued? If less than 40, you can exercise third class medical privileges for 60 calendar months (5 years) from month of issuance.

How old were you on the day the current one was issued? If less than 40, you can exercise third class medical privileges for 60 calendar months (5 years) from month of issuance.

I was 40... just missed the 39 window!

Any AMEs on line? I have a question.

We're all used to filling out our 8500-8 forms and using the term "previously reported, no change" where it asks about reportable issues. What happens when a guy has a medical that's lapsed for a few years? Is that subject to a renewal like we're all used to or does he start from the beginning?

I normally schedule my medical for the first week of the month after it expires, so I can get an extra month.

We're all used to filling out our 8500-8 forms and using the term "previously reported, no change" where it asks about reportable issues. What happens when a guy has a medical that's lapsed for a few years? Is that subject to a renewal like we're all used to or does he start from the beginning?

Still on file, proceed with PRNC.

That is not without risk. If I was not flying I would not risk that. South America is a different culture when it comes to pilots. They hold all pilots to professional standards. What are you going to do when the AME there takes a more critical view and defers or denies you? Now you're kinda ****ed, stuck in a foreign country with no other resources to deal with this issue, and a time clock ticking to provide information, or the situation gets even more complicated to resolve.

So now you're a Doctor, too? :)

I still want to hear about it from an AME.

Don't need to be a AME to read.;) Your entire medical history attached to your name and Airman number previously declared is on file, it doesn't change or get thrown out when you let a medical lapse. If it was previously reported under your applications, and there has been no change in that condition, you can be confident that that is what the PRNC button on Med Express is there for.

Doesn't mean the doc won't ask, but as far as filling out the form, nope, you're done with checking the box. Not sure how many AMEs we have left anyway.

I've done the "lapsed" thing in the past, but keep it active now only cause I get a better physical from the AME than from my own PCP (That's been the case for at least the past 5 decades).

Getting it renewed (yes, every TWO (2) years after 40) is no different than a regular renewal -- same forms, same exam, same question, same paperwork flow, same wait time, (but cheaper if you let it lapse, cause you aren't paying for the intervals during the lapses).
Total non-issue

If it's previously reported, it's previously reported. It matters not if there was a lapse in the medical. I had a multi-year lapse in my medicals. There wasn't anything different when I went back in for the first one after the gap. The stuff I had previously reported, was still previously reported. The stuff that came up in the interim (if it had to do with one of the chapter 18 items had to be disclosed), then doctor visits for the past three years had to be recounted.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back