Any Dinghey Sailors Here

Ventucky Red

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Jon
Any one here dinghy sailing (Laser - Force 5 - Megabyte) etc..? If you are what are you sailing?

Sold off the NACRAs and F18, looking to keep my feet wet. there are a ton of new boats out there that look pretty darn cool..

Hobie 16 was my poison. Sailed pretty much everything from Sunfish to Lasers to big assed cruisers back in the day.

Sunfish, had an F18 for a couple years, but too much work for me to rig and single hand. Had a Hunter 170, but sold it. Thinking about a j-80, but been thinking about that for years.

Used to be an instructor at UW-Madison Hoofers Sailing Club. Sailed "Badger Techs" (a.k.a. "sailing for one"), 420's, some slightly larger sloop thing whose name I forget, and (if I felt really ambitious) the C-scow, and (if I knew someone who was a much better sailor than me who could skipper) the E-scow. They had some J-boats, but I was never as much into the keelboat thing as the little dinghies. As with airplanes, the smaller the vessel, the bigger the fun.

I once wrecked a C-scow. But that's a story that really should only be told over a beer...

I miss sailing. Water around here is too cold and shallow. I'm convinced that learning to sail made it easier to learn to fly.

I'm convinced that learning to sail made it easier to learn to fly.
And I'm convinced knowing how to fly made it easier to learn how to sail. I've only sailed keelboats, though. Would like to try dinghies, but I don't see too many of them on the Bay. Water around here is cold and we have a lot of wind.

Laser. Nothing better. The only significant time away from aviation since my teens was when I discovered sailing. For several years Lasers, Hobie Cats, along with cruising keelboats, was the only flying I did. I gradually migrated back to flying more. Recently moved near a lake that's great for sailing, and have been getting the itch. Will probably build something something stitch and glue this winter.

Raced Flying Juniors in college then J boats up to the 44 later and owned a San Juan 24. I call it all prep time for the seaplane rating. :D

Finn, 420, 470, Lazer, Sunfish, Opti…went to the first J-24 North Americans in 1978 and put my self through school racing sailboats, even taught sailing to Navy Cadets in University…but little boats no more but still sail…repositioned a 52 Lagoon from Ft Lauderdale to Liberty landing Jersey ten days ago on a nice 4.5 day passage…something I do for fun and get 2-3000 NM offshore each year doing it. Yeah I went into the Army cause the Navy said no…go figure..

Laser, Holder 14, J-24 via the school sailing club. And then I graduated and moved away. :(

Sunfish, laser, Lightning, but I haven’t been on one for decades. Have the urge every once in a while, but I’m a good 80 lbs heavier now.

Back