Any DA42-VI Owners?

John Myers

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
John Myers
Investigating the DA42 for a potential purchase, and there don't appear to be any in Denver. If there are any owners who would be willing to share their experience please let me know.

I have flown a demo DA-42 and spent a lot of time looking into them. I really like the plane, but I decided it was more plane than I need for the next five to ten years (and more capital than I wanted to spend) and went into an SR22 partnership instead.

So ask away, and I can answer what I have learned, and maybe even point you too a few DA-42 shops/owners.

Tim

Thanks Tim, I should have said "share their airplane for an hour," as I've never flown a -VI (only the L360). This would be in a partnership as well, and since there aren't nearly as many SR22's (the other option), I was hoping to find one locally or nearby.

My biggest question is probably around value, the market is small and there's currently no AE300 powered 42's for sale in the US. I understand they usually trade off-market, but that makes establishing value for either of those variants difficult. How was your experience looking into them?

I think at this point I've read every thread on diamondaviators.net, however as a non-Diamond owner I am not permitted to join that forum and ask any questions. So I think I understand the airplane well, but would still like to fly an NG or -VI (as well as my potential partners) before deciding to find one.

I think at this point I've read every thread on diamondaviators.net, however as a non-Diamond owner I am not permitted to join that forum and ask any questions.

I'm not an owner and I joined. The N number can be fudged. Or you could use 510TS which was a rental -42NG.

I'm not an owner and I joined. The N number can be fudged. Or you could use 510TS which was a rental -42NG.

I had an account with a rental tail that was deactivated (for inactivity), and when I tried to reactivate it I said I wasn't an owner no knowing that was against their rules. I'm not sure I want to do anything below board given how small the community is. It seems like there's maybe half a dozen frequent posters on the 42 forum. I did email a contact there today though so maybe they'll make an exception. I'm really not sure why they have that rule, COPA doesn't, and it seems counter to the goal of the community.

Gotcha. It's been a while since I posted over there. I've never understood those kinds of policies.

The reason for the rule, is to keep the forum much more focused on the plane, less on social aspects. It really does keep the noise limited.
It does periodically come up for discussion.

I have flown an DA42NG, and DA42 TDI 2.0 (the CD135 engines). There really was not much of a difference in my opinion on the handling of the two planes.
Actually, over the period of a year, only two used -IV came on the market through the three dealers I was talking too. And these are some of the the largest Diamond dealers in the states. There is one -VI was the factory had, but I was not interested since it had a lower MTOW, and it could not be modified to get the higher weight.

As of earlier this year, here is the broad ranges you should expect to see on the prices.
DA-42 CD135 1.7L engines. 200-250K. Very rare, most of these have already been converted
DA-42 CD135 2.0L 350-400K. More of these available. If they installed DFC700 and WAAS the price can push 500K.
DA-42 CD155 2.0S expect to be 700K+, only a few exist
DA-42 NG. 550-650K. Rare, but available.
DA-42-VI. 800K+, very rare. Faster to order new, and likely a better deal.

The CD155 2.0S; gets you the same performance, or dam close to the -VI through brute force.
The NG is about ten to fifteen knots slower.
The CD 135 is about ten knows slow still.

Tim

The reason for the rule, is to keep the forum much more focused on the plane, less on social aspects. It really does keep the noise limited.
It does periodically come up for discussion.

I have flown an DA42NG, and DA42 TDI 2.0 (the CD135 engines). There really was not much of a difference in my opinion on the handling of the two planes.
Actually, over the period of a year, only two used -IV came on the market through the three dealers I was talking too. And these are some of the the largest Diamond dealers in the states. There is one -VI was the factory had, but I was not interested since it had a lower MTOW, and it could not be modified to get the higher weight.

As of earlier this year, here is the broad ranges you should expect to see on the prices.
DA-42 CD135 1.7L engines. 200-250K. Very rare, most of these have already been converted
DA-42 CD135 2.0L 350-400K. More of these available. If they installed DFC700 and WAAS the price can push 500K.
DA-42 CD155 2.0S expect to be 700K+, only a few exist
DA-42 NG. 550-650K. Rare, but available.
DA-42-VI. 800K+, very rare. Faster to order new, and likely a better deal.

The CD155 2.0S; gets you the same performance, or dam close to the -VI through brute force.
The NG is about ten to fifteen knots slower.
The CD 135 is about ten knows slow still.

Tim

Thanks Tim, I believe the 1.7L are Theilerts and not the CDs. My understanding is Diamond keeps some of the older airframes they were forced by owners to buy after the Theilert debacle in reserve for certified pre-owned NGs that are made from the old airframes on request. Not sure how true that is. I believe the gross weight was a paperwork issue having to do with a 10G drop test that wasn't completed until 2015, I don't think the higher gross weight VIs are actually physically any different. Not 100% on that.

I talked to Mike at Premier at Oshkosh and I think I remember him saying there is an 8 month wait on new -VIs. There is a Canadian one on the market now. My hope is the new paintable composite they started using last year from the 62 will push down the values of the earlier VI's. I believe I saw a VI list for $750k somewhere that has sold.

Were the three dealers Lifestyle, Great Lakes, and Premier? I noticed Steel aviation in Ohio is also starting to get into Diamonds in addition to Cirrus aircraft.

People must love these aircraft. Usually 10% of any fleet is on the market, which should be at least a dozen 42s, and there's only 2 currently. One guy is asking what I'd guess he paid new for it.

@John Myers

Since Continental bought Theilert, I view them all the same.
Yes, on the three dealers.

Tim

@John Myers

Since Continental bought Theilert, I view them all the same.
Yes, on the three dealers.

Tim
Thanks for all of the great information Tim. I was reading that the Continental versions have beefed up a few components to get the higher TBR, and replaced the clutch with a flywheel.

I think we are looking for a late model NG with radar and built-in O2. Now if we can only find a hangar wide enough. Cheapest we've found so far is space in a managed hangar for $1,500/mo, which is about triple what an SR22 would cost here in Denver. Expensive 4 feet.

If anyone happens to know of an NG or -VI making its way to Denver, or a 45ft wide hangar in Denver, please let me know.

John

Thanks for all of the great information Tim. I was reading that the Continental versions have beefed up a few components to get the higher TBR, and replaced the clutch with a flywheel.

I think we are looking for a late model NG with radar and built-in O2. Now if we can only find a hangar wide enough. Cheapest we've found so far is space in a managed hangar for $1,500/mo, which is about triple what an SR22 would cost here in Denver. Expensive 4 feet.

If anyone happens to know of an NG or -VI making its way to Denver, or a 45ft wide hangar in Denver, please let me know.

John

I do not have my notes with me. But I believe there are now four versions of the CD135 2.0 engine. The original, then Gen 1 which extended the gear box inspection to 600 hours, then Gen 2, which changed the single clutch to a double clutch, and now Gen 2 with extended TBR and some part changes. I do not recall the details.

If you are going NG, non of that matters. The AE300 did get a recent TBO increase, no changes in parts that I am aware of; just more data for FAA/EASA to prove reliability.

When searching used, be careful on the G1000 if the plane has not been upgraded to WAAS and this is a requirement. Until the NXi STC becomes available you cannot upgrade the G1000 Diamond/Cessna/Cirrus planes. Garmin announced about two years ago they were ending new part sales for upgrading to WAAS older G1000 aircraft.

Tim

Back